The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The (un)official Audioscape thread
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanktron ➡️
Dearest AS fam,

Talk to me about the opto vs. v-comp!! I have the opto and love it - mostly using it on vox, bass, and acoustic guitar (sometimes banjo). But, I cannot help but wonder about the v-comp and will eventually buy it - just curious to see if anyone has tried out both!

Cheers,

#****
I have them both and they bring different sonics to the table but on the right source both absolutely kill. Get one you won't be disappointed.
Old 29th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I’m also waffling back and forth between Vcomp and Opto. Planning to use it mostly for vocals. Fairly strident voice that I’m always wanting to thicken, but in a hard rock classic metal scenario, you guys think the Vcomp will be too dark?

40 mins to sale time!
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoebrian5 ➡️
I’m also waffling back and forth between Vcomp and Opto. Planning to use it mostly for vocals. Fairly strident voice that I’m always wanting to thicken, but in a hard rock classic metal scenario, you guys think the Vcomp will be too dark?

40 mins to sale time!
V-COMP will definitely not be too dark - my vote (also depends on what other HW compressors you have) would honestly be the OPTO COMP... you just CAN NOT go wrong with it - no MATTER the source..!

@ Bloodstar57 - YES! You cracked the code! Just as the product page states, the D-COMP is capable of SO MUCH - BUT - you need to put the time in to unlock pandora's proverbial "box" and then it's like 'WHOA.... NOTHING I have does what this thing does".

And yes, cranking the input up (usually between 2 o'clock and FULL ON) is where things get MAGICAL... even on 2BUSS!!!

Between the crazy SC HPF circuit, HIGHLY interactive attack/release controls (changing one affects the other) and the 3 different modes... a LOT of sonic ground can be covered!!

WE <3 all of y'alls <3!!!

#****

🎧 10 years
Whoops bought a D-Comp hahaha

OK, now seriously I'm in way over my head in terms of rack space (money, what's money?). Anyone interested in purchasing a barely used, never racked Vcomp send me a DM!
Gear Maniac

Okay I think I’m sold on the Opto but the hesitation got me. Fingers crossed back in stock on Saturday.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

40 mins to sale time!
My God, no. The V-Comp thickens the low mids and 'syrups' the high mids which is EXACTLY what you are asking for!!

#**** . . . and I'm not paid to say that.
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
My God, no. The V-Comp thickens the low mids and 'syrups' the high mids which is EXACTLY what you are asking for!!

#**** . . . and I'm not paid to say that.
Even in a rock and metal mix?

Damn, you guys are going to have me buying both if I’m not careful!

Hey Charlie, just curious if you have a return policy? The “buy two and keep your fav, return the other” would be so nice. I realize you are not Amazon but just thought I might at least ask what your policy is.

Thx!
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Even in a rock and metal mix?

SNIP OUT THE PART FOR THE OTHER GUY . . .
Thx!
Yes, I use it in rock and metal all the time! I've done two metal albums this year where I tracked every lead vocal with the V-Comp.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Yes, I use it in rock and metal all the time! I've done two metal albums this year where I tracked every lead vocal with the V-Comp.
Awesome to hear! Can you post a link to some of the songs?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Planning to use it mostly for vocals. Fairly strident voice that I’m always wanting to thicken
You mentioned a strident voice, worth noting the side chain control on the Opto is awesome for “focusing” the compression on the strident areas of the voice which will really smooth things out. I’ve done this on several vocals. It’s an amazing feature. The V comp also has a super smooth character so you can’t really go wrong, both of these will tame some stride...but the side chain control on the opto might be your ticket
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up partridge ➡️
the side chain control on the Opto is awesome for “focusing” the compression on the strident areas of the voice which will really smooth things out. I’ve done this on several vocals. It’s an amazing feature.
Yes, I love the variable side chain filter on the Opto, really ups the usability of that design. Kind of wonder how I did without it before.
Old 31st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Awesome to hear! Can you post a link to some of the songs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Nfea-xtKY

OBVS a lip-sync music video.

Vocal Chain:
@ Heiserman H47 Tube (U47 recreation) with the K47 capsule, Neve 1073 flat gain at 20 and output -5, @ AudioScape V-Comp set to single mode 50/50, @ AudioScape 76a bluestripe 18 30 a5 r6 12:1
Old 31st October 2020
Gear Maniac

V-comp will be back in stock this week?
Old 2nd November 2020 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Opto in action

Here’s a tune which features the Opto on vocals and on the full drum kit (drums were recorded mono to one track of tape)...Opto on drums was a pleasant surprise! The slight hiss is from the ADT tape echo on the vocal, not the Opto
The song is unreleased (and unmastered) which is why I haven’t posted the artist or title.

Old 2nd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here’s a tune which features the Opto on vocals and on the full drum kit (drums were recorded mono to one track of tape)...Opto on drums was a pleasant surprise! The slight hiss is from the ADT tape echo on the vocal, not the Opto
The song is unreleased which is why I haven’t posted the artist or title.
Sounds awesome. Any other recording notes you can give? Mics, pres, other processing? Was everything tracked to tape?
Old 2nd November 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Any mod to unlink the buss comp?
Old 3rd November 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
V-comp will be back in stock this week?
YES! We are planning on it - the biggest hold-up with the V-COMPs is sourcing the tubes TBH... but man, it's SO WORTH IT!

I had a long, drawn-out explanation of the OPTO vs. the V-COMP for hard-rock / metal* (of which, is my genre of specialty) but lost it. GRRR! 🤬

I use both, almost interchangeably and usually TOGETHER - the V-COMP adds such musical HEFT and SATURATION (while enhancing the vocals natural tone and timbre) while the OPTO COMP keeps all of the dynamics neatly in control and 'in your face'.

The V can do the 'in your face' thing, BUT, much more transparently, with barely any noticeable compression artifacts - the OPTO has a SOUND to it's compression, which I absolutely ADORE.

To be clear, I'm speaking of SCREAMING vocals when discussing the above - we have some great examples of both on our SoundCloud with a LOW, GROWLING vocal... it's simply MARVELOUS ;-)

BUSS COMP does NOT have an option to be "unlinked" but IMO, it really doesn't need one as it's done internally (to some degree). I'm NOT a fan personally of linked compression, and with the genre's I typically work in (heavier music), unlinked is where it's at - I don't want my phantom center to be shifting all around, and using the BUSS COMP - this is never an issue for me - the center remains DEAD CENTER and pushes out the sides actually, resulting in a very nice 'sweetening' of the stereo image ;-)

XOXO to all! ❤🤘😘
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I just wanted to give a FREAKING HUUUUUUGE shout out for Charlie, Chris and everyone at AS. They have ALWAYS been great in the area of customer service in the past, but this last week.....FedEX and I pushed them to the edge.......and then, FedEx shoved some more. Then I gave a little "gentle" frustrated push when I reached a brick wall with FedEx.

What can I say?? $%!t happens!!!!!!!!

Not only did they take care of me, but they treated me like a king on the entire journey, and honestly, on the customer service front, I'm not sure there is anyone that cares more about their customers or is better on the CS front in any business. I half expected them to send a car and driver for me while FedEx ineptly bumbled about doing their thing.

Bottom line, gear is in the rack, sounding amazing and I became a happy camper over the weekend thanks to an honest and nice neighbor, but man, AS is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[PS - and I actually still like FedEx although they really bumbled tracking down the problem with this one......]

Thanks again AS!!!

Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
I just wanted to give a FREAKING HUUUUUUGE shout out for Charlie, Chris and everyone at AS. They have ALWAYS been great in the area of customer service in the past, but this last week.....FedEX and I pushed them to the edge.......and then, FedEx shoved some more. Then I gave a little "gentle" frustrated push when I reached a brick wall with FedEx.

Not only did they take care of me, but they treated me like a king on the entire journey, and honestly, on the customer service front, I'm not sure there is anyone that cares more about their customers or is better on the CS front in any business. I half expected them to send a car and driver for me while FedEx ineptly bumbled about doing their thing.

Bottom line, gear is in the rack, sounding amazing and I became a happy camper over the weekend thanks to an honest and nice neighbor, but man, AS is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[PS - and I actually still like FedEx although they really bumbled tracking down the problem with this one......]

Thanks again AS!!!

You can’t just tell this story without telling us what you bought! Cmon, spill the beans 🤣
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape ➡️
YES! We are planning on it - the biggest hold-up with the V-COMPs is sourcing the tubes TBH... but man, it's SO WORTH IT!

I had a long, drawn-out explanation of the OPTO vs. the V-COMP for hard-rock / metal* (of which, is my genre of specialty) but lost it. GRRR! 🤬

I use both, almost interchangeably and usually TOGETHER - the V-COMP adds such musical HEFT and SATURATION (while enhancing the vocals natural tone and timbre) while the OPTO COMP keeps all of the dynamics neatly in control and 'in your face'.

The V can do the 'in your face' thing, BUT, much more transparently, with barely any noticeable compression artifacts - the OPTO has a SOUND to it's compression, which I absolutely ADORE.

To be clear, I'm speaking of SCREAMING vocals when discussing the above - we have some great examples of both on our SoundCloud with a LOW, GROWLING vocal... it's simply MARVELOUS ;-)

BUSS COMP does NOT have an option to be "unlinked" but IMO, it really doesn't need one as it's done internally (to some degree). I'm NOT a fan personally of linked compression, and with the genre's I typically work in (heavier music), unlinked is where it's at - I don't want my phantom center to be shifting all around, and using the BUSS COMP - this is never an issue for me - the center remains DEAD CENTER and pushes out the sides actually, resulting in a very nice 'sweetening' of the stereo image ;-)

XOXO to all! ❤🤘😘
Sounds about right from everything I could dig up on sound clips reviews etc. I think the Vcomp is the best call for me because the la2a is fairly convincing as a plug in so might as well start with the more elusive beast. I’m sure I will have them both before long.
Old 3rd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Whole heartily agree with Drbill , this company gives a damn about there customers and products.
Edit : just wanted to add there DI rocks ! Only minimal use so far , but on my 70’s music man I thought it was the first time I really got the full essence of this bass .
More to come

Last edited by kmade; 3rd November 2020 at 05:12 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
V-comp is by far my favorite AS product. Got 2 and I need some more :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I just wanted to give a FREAKING HUUUUUUGE shout out for Charlie, Chris and everyone at AS. They have ALWAYS been great in the area of customer...
2nd to this. Had a problem with my EQPA, they sent out a replacement tube and a bunch fuses the day I emailed and when that didn't fix the issue, emailed a shipping label and repaired the unit and shipped it back out the same day they received it all on their dime.

My only real concern is did they or did they not swipe the vintage bakelite chickenhead knob I replaced the original on/off knob with?
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

XOXO to all! ❤🤘😘
For those of you (the very few of course) who are not familiar with the SSL buss comp, this is what it does and why we call it the 'pancake effect' because it squishes down the dynamics and shoves them out the sides. It widens the image but maintains the C.

#****
Old 3rd November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I want to share some early impressions on the V-Comp.
Not a long time i own this, i just used a few times on a room mic and snare. I own some more comps: Phoenix, Elop, 2-1176, Stam 76, 1178, Distressor... you know...
Maybe i'm not experienced with a STA Level stile but i was... the right term is SCARED! I never heard and could get such a good snare before. It might depend on the sound you want but it worked amazingly for me. I think i will not use anything else on a snare for the rest on my days... it might be some enthusiasm but it was damn good to my ears.
I first tested it on voice and i was not impressed compared to the ELOP wich is my benchmark, it's darker, kind of sand inside... again, i need to deal with it and have to try in a full mix. But then i tried on snare and have to say it's incredible, by now the best comp i've heard on a rock snare. Attack and relese are amazing, so many different sound you can make out of it... My personal taste, hope is useful.

Cheers

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars ➡️
Sounds awesome. Any other recording notes you can give? Mics, pres, other processing? Was everything tracked to tape?
Sure - yeah everything was tracked & mixed on Tascam 388. Everything was BAE 1073 pres. Drums were Flea C12 OH, D12 kick, 414 floor tom. Guitar and Wurlitzer were Shure 545s. Vocals vintage U67...can't quite remember the pre - CAPI VP28? ADT is printed from my Tascam 32 mixdown deck.

After tracking, the drums, guitar (with ADT) and Wurli were bounced to a stereo mix on 2 tracks of tape with the drums going thru the Opto and probably Curve Bender. Don't recall doing any processing to guitar or Wurli.

edit - oh yeah, and bass! haha. Bass was DI thru an LA610

Last edited by 7up partridge; 3rd November 2020 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: poor neglected bass
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sure - yeah everything was tracked & mixed on Tascam 388. Everything was BAE 1073 pres. Drums were Flea C12 OH, D12 kick, 414 floor tom. Guitar and Wurlitzer were Shure 545s. Vocals vintage U67...can't quite remember the pre - CAPI VP28? ADT is printed from my Tascam 32 mixdown deck.

After tracking, the drums, guitar (with ADT) and Wurli were bounced to a stereo mix on 2 tracks of tape with the drums going thru the Opto and probably Curve Bender. Don't recall doing any processing to guitar or Wurli.

edit - oh yeah, and bass! haha. Bass was DI thru an LA610
Really helpful—thanks! Sounds great, obviously very Lennonesque, but convincingly so! Wish I had a vintage 67 *tear*. Would love to hear more, if you have any other things you can post.
Old 6th November 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:

Thanks again AS!!!

BILL!!!!! You are TOO KIND man!!! Hahahaha - we were simply doing what we do - making ABSOLUTELY SURE our customers are happy and treated, literally, like part of the family!!!

Thank you so much Bill - and everyone else for the positive vibes and all around happy nature !!!! We LOVE this thread!!!!

All the V-COMP love is amazing.... she certainly is something VERY special 🤘😘

Thank y'all AGAIN.... truly means more than you know!! ❤🙌🙏👍❤
Old 8th November 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford ➡️
2nd to this. Had a problem with my EQPA, they sent out a replacement tube and a bunch fuses the day I emailed and when that didn't fix the issue, emailed a shipping label and repaired the unit and shipped it back out the same day they received it all on their dime.

My only real concern is did they or did they not swipe the vintage bakelite chickenhead knob I replaced the original on/off knob with?
Thank you so much for sharing your experience man!! We treat our AS FAM like, well... FAMILY!!!

Regarding the chickenhead knob - I can promise you we did not and would not swipe a knob off anyone's unit - we're up to our NECKS in all sorts of vintage, NOS, super rare, etc knobs... no need for ANY more hahaha (well...sometimes!).

The only thing I can think of (if you're not being sarcastic, 😜😂) is that PERHAPS we replaced it with the original knob we use for aesthetic reasons, but that seems unlikely. Very odd indeed!

I'll have a look around if this really is an issue man! So sorry about that.. EEK!

Much love and THANK YOU again.... always and forever 👍🤘
Old 8th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
we were simply doing what we do - making ABSOLUTELY SURE our customers are happy and treated, literally, like part of the family!!!

You guys treat me better than at least half my family does.......
📝 Reply