The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure SRH1840 and/or Sonorworks and SRH840/DT770pro
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Shure SRH1840 and/or Sonorworks and SRH840/DT770pro

Hi there,

I am in the situation at the moment where I haven't got a great listening environment (studio) for my Focal CMS65 monitors. Also, I would like to work more on the go and in my apartment.

So my thought is to get a good pair of open back headphones to compose/produce/(pre)mix on...yeah yeah, I knooooow...headphones are not optimal and so on... But this is the situation!

I've landed on the Shure SRH1840, because I really like my srh840 and because of what I've read on the interwebs.

My questions are these:

1: Would I need Sonorworks Reference with the SRH1840 (or other high end headphones)?

2: Would I even need the SRH1840 if I use Sonorworks with my SRH840 (or my other pair DT770 pro).

I'VE GOT THE GEAR LUST FOR THE SRH1840 and have a suspicion that it would ease my work and make the whole listening on headphone thing much more enjoyable (a.k.a. CHANGE MY WHOLE LIFE COMPLETELY ) if I got them.

Hope you can help a fellow slut out - thanks!

Last edited by Rentzen; 15th August 2019 at 01:39 PM..
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
No one ?
Old 18th August 2019
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I have a pair of SRH1840 and sonarworks definitely gives you a different view of what you are working on. Make sure you have a good headphone amp to drive the 1840s. I hear a big difference between my bf Apollo and a unit like the little labs monotor or the headphone amp in a hilo.
Old 19th August 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfishstu โžก๏ธ
I have a pair of SRH1840 and sonarworks definitely gives you a different view of what you are working on. Make sure you have a good headphone amp to drive the 1840s. I hear a big difference between my bf Apollo and a unit like the little labs monotor or the headphone amp in a hilo.
Thanks for the reply!

When you write "a different view", is this positive, negative or just...different :-) Is it easier to make it translate out into the real world?

Same with the headphone amps! What is the best for you? I've always had high thoughts of the RME UCX amp (as being flat and with plenty of power to drive headphones).
๐Ÿ“ Reply