Quantcast
comp shootout - BSS - ART - x32 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
comp shootout - BSS - ART - x32
Old 29th April 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
comp shootout - BSS - ART - x32

Ok folks, here is my attempt at a comp shootout. It is what it is. I was interested to demo the art units because there seems to be little to no info about them. Units are:

BSS-DPR-404
ART dual limiter PWM type comp
ART TransY FET comp
x32 1176 emulation
x32 channel strip comp

I tried to use high ratios, around 7:1, in each case, and then tweaked it from there, just trying to make it sound as best as I could. Maybe not the best choice of raw material for a public demo, but it was from a track I was just working on, so was useful to me and I just went with it.

Each recording begins with the dry drumloop, then i switch in the comp at a setting that I chose to, hopefully, showcase its sound. After letting that play for a bit, I adjust the settings to try and achieve a more drastic squash before the end was reached.
Attached Files

ART-FET.wav (6.97 MB, 3203 views)

ART-PWM.wav (6.97 MB, 2812 views)

BSS-DPR-404.wav (6.97 MB, 2992 views)

x32-1176-FET.wav (6.97 MB, 2808 views)

x32-chancomp.wav (6.97 MB, 2680 views)

Old 29th April 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Is there a way for me to embed those files so the audio can be streamed, rather than downloaded?
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrand ➡️
Ok folks, here is my attempt at a comp shootout. It is what it is. I was interested to demo the art units because there seems to be little to no info about them. Units are:

BSS-DPR-404
ART dual limiter PWM type comp
ART TransY FET comp
x32 1176 emulation
x32 channel strip comp

I tried to use high ratios, around 7:1, in each case, and then tweaked it from there, just trying to make it sound as best as I could. Maybe not the best choice of raw material for a public demo, but it was from a track I was just working on, so was useful to me and I just went with it.

Each recording begins with the dry drumloop, then i switch in the comp at a setting that I chose to, hopefully, showcase its sound. After letting that play for a bit, I adjust the settings to try and achieve a more drastic squash before the end was reached.
Which unit did you like the best? Didnt listen to them all but between the PWM and the Art FET, I liked the FET better. Seemed to preserve the bottom and transients better (perhaps b/c of the transformers).
Old 30th April 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioKemestry ➡️
Which unit did you like the best? Didn't listen to them all but between the PWM and the Art FET, I liked the FET better. Seemed to preserve the bottom and transients better (perhaps b/c of the transformers).
Yes for +$400 one would hope the art FET sounds better than the art PWM! I agree, the PWM seemed to gobble the bottom end. I really struggled to find a setting on that pwm unit that didn't sound terrible.

The art FET gave me a nice wow when I first turned it on, I could have sworn it added a subtle, pleasing sizzle, but I found my ear quickly tired, and from then on, I struggled to find a sweet spot. I simply did not love the way it compressed! But perhaps there was something nice going on there with the tone. I might have kept it if it was half the price, if only to see where it might shine.

In contrast was the BSS unit, now this one I really struggled to make it sound bad! For me, this was the clear winner, and close second was the x32 channel comp, which just seems neutral and clear, getting the job done.

The x32 FET model... I dunno, I should have been more systematic and done further testing against the art FET.

Well, no further testing because I returned those ART units.
📝 Reply