Slate VMS questions... ML 1 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate VMS questions... ML 1
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Slate VMS questions... ML 1

For people who have it and have experience with expensive mics:

1. Is it awesome or blah?

2. Do I need the slate preamp or will I get similar performance with a “clean” preamp...? i have RME and Presonus Digimax FS pres for days

3. If I purchase new do I get the Classic Tubes 1 and 2?

4. If I jump in, should I also pick up Classic Tubes 3 or skip it for now and pick up the new Blackbird pack?

5. Anybody running a commercial studio in the Seattle/Tacoma area have one up and running? I’d be happy to book a couple hours of off-time to test it...

Feel free to private message me... might even be better to get your honest opinions

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bgood; 29th January 2019 at 09:02 PM..
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My opinions only:

1) Very impressive. I was expecting it to be good (as slightly better than OK), and obviously versatile, but it far exceeded my expectations.

2) I'm not using the Slate preamp. I run straight into a Steinberg MR816 and bypass the onboard channel strip in favor of the Slate VMR options.

3) I bought mine during the holiday special, so it came with Classics 1 and 3. I have not heard the Blackbirds yet, so I can't comment.

4) The 49 and 44 out of the Classics 3 are really good. Not sure if they are worth $300, but I really like them; especially the 44.

5) I'm in L.A., so I can't be much help on that one.
Old 30th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXEsq ➡️
My opinions only:

1) Very impressive. I was expecting it to be good (as slightly better than OK), and obviously versatile, but it far exceeded my expectations.

2) I'm not using the Slate preamp. I run straight into a Steinberg MR816 and bypass the onboard channel strip in favor of the Slate VMR options.

3) I bought mine during the holiday special, so it came with Classics 1 and 3. I have not heard the Blackbirds yet, so I can't comment.

4) The 49 and 44 out of the Classics 3 are really good. Not sure if they are worth $300, but I really like them; especially the 44.

5) I'm in L.A., so I can't be much help on that one.
We love it up here but it’s when I’m shopping for expensive gear I miss living in studio city where I can find the stuff to demo!
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I just commented about this in another thread. I have a pair that I bought during the black friday deal. I have been using them with a pair of Neve Portico 5012 preamps. I have a bunch of neve and api pres and my only really flat sounding preamps are the Porticos. I like the mics and I like the results I've gotten but using the Portico preamps I do not care for any of the 47 models at all. I've used three different 47s across many record. I've used a 249 and an M49. I don't think the models with the porticos are as awesome as the genuine articles. Because of this and my investment into the mics I am going to but a pair of the preamps (with their stupid desktop form factor). I wish they made a 500 series version of the pres so I could pull a couple APIs and see how the slate pres work out.
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just mixed a song with vocals recorded with my Slate VMS and with a TELEFUNKEN 251 AE and the main difference I hear is in the mic pre emulations. I just needed to add some extra saturation to the VMS recording and it was money. I use Acustica Mic pres in place of the slate ones. The black bird 251 is worth the price of the pack right now.
Old 11th February 2019
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I have all of the bundles including the instruments bundle which I got with my ML-2. I owned 4 microphones previously. I sold all of them after I heard what the VMS brings to the table. I have recorded with the Slate VMS preamp which I own into my Focusrite Saffire 56on an uncoloured channel and I've recorded directly to a Saffire 6i6 interface. The differences have been negligible, but I do prefer the sound with the VMS preamp. I also use Vovox Sonorus mic cables. I have influenced at least 6 persons to get the Slate VMS after they have heard the sound for themselves. Just last week I got another friend to step up to the Slate Universe. Each mic will suit a different voice. I have had mic models which I never used before and then I get a client whose voice is suited best with the model I never use like the FG 44. I have also fallen in love with the Blackbird 251 model. The 800 model is a staple on reggae and rap artistes. The sound I am getting is what I dreamed of. I have a client who is rerecording songs because of the difference in quality that he is experiencing with me and the Slate VMS. His mixing engineer is thanking him. If you can..purchase the preamp or if you have the cash and you are on Mac purchase the VRS 8 and you'll be fine!!!
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Although I am not a u87 fan, I just assisted on a session yesterday where the engineer requested one for his vocal chain. I think it would be really nice to have in the arsonal for VMS. I like the u67 model (one of the only mics we don’t have at the studio so I don’t know how a “real” one sounds) but the low mids are too much for most of the modern sounding rap and pop songs. So, if I wanted a more controlled top end I think I’d reach for an 87 and start from there with VMS. But I agree that the new 251 and C800g M are great sounding for most voices in modern music. I need to experiment with the new BB C12 too. That has an interesting mid range, possibly in U87 territory.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

I wonder why they’ve not done an 87 yet...??
📝 Reply