Quantcast
Making a Vocal Practice Setup - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Making a Vocal Practice Setup
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Making a Vocal Practice Setup

I have a lobby that's about 700 sq feet.

Currently, I have a monitor, Yamaha HS7, and Beta58A mic. I'd like to know what the ideal setup for vocal practice is.

Would I need an amp? Audio interface? Will I also need some sort of effects like reverb? Or would I be better off with one of those karaoke systems which has built-in reverb, but may not necessarily sound good?

Please help!
Old 24th January 2019
Quote:
Will I also need some sort of effects like reverb?
You may or may not, depending on your taste and preferences. You and you alone will know if you need reverb..
Quote:
Or would I be better off with one of those karaoke systems which has built-in reverb, but may not necessarily sound good?
You may or may not. It depends on your personnel preference. To each their own and it depends on what you mean by practicing and what your expectations are and what karaoke system you buy?
Quote:
Currently, I have a monitor, Yamaha HS7, and Beta58A mic. I'd like to know what the ideal setup for vocal practice is.
Ideal set up will be different for everyone. But for this to work, you need some sort of mixer with mic pre-amps. If you only have one monitor, using stereo effects are out of the question.
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear

You mean vocal practice or rehearsal of some kind? As a singer myself, I would find it counterproductive to practice with a microphone. You will listen to yourself from the speakers so your internal dynamic control may be fooled, intonation, character, and so on, all colored by the chain, not knowing if what's coming out from the speakers it's really you. Maybe from time to time, in case you are not in a band so you are not rehearsing, then maybe it would be useful.
Now, if you are going for it anyway, yes, you would need at least an audio interface with a preamp.
Hope it helps!
📝 Reply