Multitrack Is Coming To The RØDECaster Pro - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Multitrack Is Coming To The RØDECaster Pro
Old 24th January 2019
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years

Australian pro audio giant RØDE Microphones is pleased to announce that the world’s first fully integrated podcast production console, the RØDECaster Pro, will issue firmware update 1.1.0 in February 2019, which includes a more user-friendly interface and channel selection, plus multitrack recording.

All existing customers will be able to update their RØDECaster Pro with multitrack recording, and all new units will feature the update, making 2018’s most compelling piece of audio equipment the must-have console in 2019 for podcasters of any level.

MULTITRACK RECORDING
The multitrack feature will record 14 tracks:
• A stereo ‘live mix’ track, as featured on the RØDECaster Pro since its release
• A mono track for each of the 4 microphone inputs
• A stereo track each for the USB, 3.5mm TRRS, Bluetooth and sound pad channels

To activate multitrack recording, simply access the Advanced settings in the Hardware section of the RØDECaster Pro’s touchscreen interface. From there, a single switch engages 'Multi-Channel' mode for multitrack recording.

The 1.1.0 firmware update will be available to download in February from rode.com/rodecasterapp. Stay tuned for more updates to the features on the RØDECaster Pro.

Attached Thumbnails
Multitrack Is Coming To The RØDECaster Pro-unnamed.jpg  
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you are into creating podcasts and doing a bit of production work there-in, I thought this product looked pretty cool. Multitrack only seems right! Good move Rode!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut
Well that will take a huge cut from analog desk users and companies that just created a "web" version of their proper broadcasting consoles.
For most it was literally the only con of the thing.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Interesting. Does it record those multitracks to the sd-card or to the computer via USB-C or to both if wanted?
Could it record multiple tracks to a computer (working as a multi-channel usb-interface) before and they just added the multitrack feature for recording to the sd-card?
Interesting for musicians and rehearsal/recording!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Assuming these mic pres can handle an SM7b this thing is absolutely brilliant. A friend of mine who just started a podcast was looking at spending a couple thousand on interface/headphone amp/ mic pres, instead I just directed him to this. Boom done.
Old 24th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA ➡️
Assuming these mic pres can handle an SM7b this thing is absolutely brilliant. A friend of mine who just started a podcast was looking at spending a couple thousand on interface/headphone amp/ mic pres, instead I just directed him to this. Boom done.
They can't handle the SM7b very well. Many recommended either cloudlifters or if you aren't doing roadshows, getting a cheap DBX286s.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is that 14 tracks at once or is it possible to record one track at a time. Rewind then add another.

If this was the case then sales of this product will be amazing.

Nonetheless this product is evolving nicely.

Cheers
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They have released the update and multitracking works, but ONLY to an USB connected computer, not to the internal sd-card. This will only contain the stereo-mix.
But still an interesting device. Would like Audio-Interfaces for musicians to be more like this.
Old 9th March 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Rode DID release a video showing multitrack recording to SD card but then quickly withdrew it.

Luckily someone put it up on Archive.org here:

RO DECaster Pro Firmware Version 1.1.0 – Multichannel To Micro SD Card : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

44 seconds in you'll definitely see a record to SD function.

I found this video in their playlist so obviously they were going to release but weren't ready in time.

Pity - I would have bought one but not until they implement this function. If I'm reediting a 4/5 person recording stereo record is no good.
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
What is 'rewind'?
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry there Blue 1.

Rewind was just my terminology for reverse or go back to marker and record again.

As we know most of these recorders are only capable of recording x amount of tracks at a time and not one at a time and or punch in out and overdub whereas something like the Tascam Model 24 is possible.

The Podcaster is to record and then polish in the computer via USB and return.

Cheers
Old 12th January 2020
Here for the gear

I just purchased the Rodecaster Pro and love it so far! The only thing I noticed is that the waveform it produces is pretty small. I used to use a mixer board and I didn't have to amplify nearly as much. Anyone else notice this?
Old 12th January 2020
Here for the gear

I just purchased the Rodecaster Pro and love it so far! The only thing I noticed is that the waveform it produces is pretty small. I used to use a mixer board and I didn't have to amplify nearly as much. Anyone else notice this?
Old 12th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsPoliceSee ➡️
You may need a mic activator, like a Cloudlifter or the Klark Teknik MIC BOOSTER CM-2.
Old 12th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Shure recommends a mic preamp with at least 60 dB of gain for use with the SM7B:

https://www.shure.com/en-US/support/...specifications

However, the Rodecaster offers only 55 dB of mic gain:

https://www.rode.com/rodecasterpro

Given that the Shure SM7B is one of the most popular podcasting mics this seems like an odd oversight on the part of Rode. :(
Old 15th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDrake ➡️
Given that the Shure SM7B is one of the most popular podcasting mics this seems like an odd oversight on the part of Rode. :(
I understand why you'd say that. But for years most preamps weren't hitting that level, which is why in-house engineers use to build the in-line signal boosters. Seeing preamps not getting that high is frustrating, but not surprising to me.
📝 Reply