Quantcast
Suggestion for full drum kit shells mic, Beyer M88 or 201 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Suggestion for full drum kit shells mic, Beyer M88 or 201
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang ➡️
They just kept showing up cheap, I think the M300 was $20 before shipping, and it looks new. The d50D's were $130 restock with all accessories, and I'm $60ish into the I50d, also mint but used, on Reverb. I don't have a ton of dynamic pairs so it's cool to have the I50/D50 for toms or Fredman technique. I got a TG50X for $99 but it was damaged and went back, and am pretty curious about the N420 and N422 if I find a bargain.
I need to pay more attention to Reverb!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
I am on a Beyer binge aswell!
2-TGX5
1-TGM69
1-D50d
1-TGD71c <----if you havnt tried this you need to btw!
and my TG50X Died aswell years ago ...but I want another!
What do you like the TG71c for?
Old 28th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➡️
I need to pay more attention to Reverb!

What do you like the TG71c for?
live sound kick drum all day! .. I need a few more for other experiments
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logima ➡️
Fantastic comparison, I hear you have a very good sounding room and drum kit.

I agree, the highs in the 201 seems clearer than those of the M88 which I find a bit "chocked" in comparison but it has more bass and mids and seems to enhance the attack of the shells, I hear sharper transients.

Anyway I feel more pleasure listening to the 201.

You have good ears, and should continue to trust them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Feet Over ➡️
I think it’s mostly due to the presence boost of the M88 (3-8K?), that makes the bleed uglier, though it also brings out that quality in the snare itself. Maybe the off-axis response differs slightly too. I don,t really know for sure, it’s just been my experience that hihat bleed from the 201 has been more manageable.

Exactly.
201 is a "smoother" and "darker" sounding mic, IMHO. For my personal tastes, I really like it on snare much more than the M88, which is way too "bright" sounding on a close-mic'd snare, for me.
(I realize many people do like that type of snare sound, I happen not to. Usually. There may be arrangements where it is needed. But if given the choice, I prefer a "lush" "kush" tone to the snare, instead of a "cutting" tone.)
Conversely, I do prefer the m88 on toms, and especially floor tom, where the more "hyped" tone seems to help bring the toms "forward" while still allowing them to be mixed at a "realistic" volume. Just the way I like it. Again, YMMV.
Both _excellent_ mics.

Last edited by edva; 28th January 2019 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey speaking of Beyer stuff, yesterday I FINALLY found a mate for my existing Beyer MC834 for an absolute steal. I've had one for about 6 years and always wanted to have a pair. SUPER underrated mic, a real sleeper. It's the cardioid-only version of the 840 (multipattern) which itself isn't all that well known. Anyway if you can find one (there aren't that many), they can be often found for 500 bucks or less (I believe they were about a grand or 1100 new when released), and they have a super, super flat response. Really great for room mics, or orchestral stuff where you want a clean, uncoloured sound. Works great as OHs too, as long as the room sounds good (obviously). Love me some Beyer stuff!
Deleted 1cebaa9
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva ➡️
You have good ears, and should continue to trust them.

Exactly.
201 is a "smoother" and "darker" sounding mic, IMHO. For my personal tastes, I really like it on snare much more than the M88, which is way too "bright" sounding on a close-mic'd snare, for me.
(I realize many people do like that type of snare sound, I happen not to. Usually. There may be arrangements where it is needed. But if given the choice, I prefer a "lush" "kush" tone to the snare, instead of a "cutting" tone.)
Conversely, I do prefer the m88 on toms, and especially floor tom, where the more "hyped" tone seems to help bring the toms "forward" while still allowing them to be mixed at a "realistic" volume. Just the way I like it. Again, YMMV.
Both _excellent_ mics.
Thanks, great detailed info.

Just discovered now in this thread about the TGD70, which seems to be made specifically for bass drum.
So, what about M88 vs TG D70 for bass drum?
Old 29th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak ➡️
Hey speaking of Beyer stuff, yesterday I FINALLY found a mate for my existing Beyer MC834 for an absolute steal. I've had one for about 6 years and always wanted to have a pair. SUPER underrated mic, a real sleeper. It's the cardioid-only version of the 840 (multipattern) which itself isn't all that well known. Anyway if you can find one (there aren't that many), they can be often found for 500 bucks or less (I believe they were about a grand or 1100 new when released), and they have a super, super flat response. Really great for room mics, or orchestral stuff where you want a clean, uncoloured sound. Works great as OHs too, as long as the room sounds good (obviously). Love me some Beyer stuff!
We had an 834 at the studio I used to work for. The boss wouldn't let me buy it when I bought him out. He still uses it in his home studio. We got it at a blow out price when a local shop decided to stop selling Beyer. I should have bought it then, instead of "instructing" him to buy it.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
...forgot to mention another reason for using mainly m201's on toms: size matters!

(my kit starts with a 6" tom or roto-tom)
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
...forgot to mention another reason for using mainly m201's on toms: size matters!

(my kit starts with a 6" tom or roto-tom)
Maybe the TG D58c would be the ticket.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
they sound okay but i do neither like the arms nor the clamps - thx but i keep on using my bunch o' 201's!
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks, great detailed info.

Just discovered now in this thread about the TGD70, which seems to be made specifically for bass drum.
Not familiar with the TG D70, but looking at the spec sheet, seems to have potential. Also has the EQ switch which boosts the highs, so you get two sonic voicing options. Seems like a fine mic at the price. Probably is, knowing Beyer.
I might just have to get one and try it....
Have used the M88 on kik many times, a wonderful match usually. Best to get the Beyer-made little wind-cap to protect the diaphragm if using a TG model. (The original M88 grille mesh was fine enough to prevent air blast damage, but they kinda screwed up with the TG and made the mesh too coarse. Or maybe they knew exactly what they were doing and wanted to sell the little caps. I think I paid around $29 USD for them anyway ).
At any rate, I like the M88 on kik drum when a "natural" sound is desired, e.g. for traditional Jazz, or some Folk-Rock, that sort of style. Although the mic has a somewhat "hyped" sound on some applications, it usually comes across as "natural" in a bass drum. YMMV. Good luck.

Last edited by edva; 29th January 2019 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: +
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
they sound okay but i do neither like the arms nor the clamps - thx but i keep on using my bunch o' 201's!
I've always been curious about those, but haven't talked to anyone who has had experience with them. I'm generally weary of clamping on mics in the studio. Its cool live (as a playing, I don't mix FOH).
Deleted 1cebaa9
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva ➡️
Not familiar with the TG D70, but looking at the spec sheet, seems to have potential. Also has the EQ switch which boosts the highs, so you get two sonic voicing options. Seems like a fine mic at the price. Probably is, knowing Beyer.
I might just have to get one and try it....
Have used the M88 on kik many times, a wonderful match usually. Best to get the Beyer-made little wind-cap to protect the diaphragm if using a TG model. (The original M88 grille mesh was fine enough to prevent air blast damage, but they kinda screwed up with the TG and made the mesh too coarse. Or maybe they knew exactly what they were doing and wanted to sell the little caps. I think I paid around $29 USD for them anyway ).
At any rate, I like the M88 on kik drum when a "natural" sound is desired, e.g. for traditional Jazz, or some Folk-Rock, that sort of style. Although the mic has a somewhat "hyped" sound on some applications, it usually comes across as "natural" in a bass drum. YMMV. Good luck.
As you said "knowing Beyer" I think I will try one of those, they are priced around 230 euros which is less than an M88. I've used a Beta 52 on bass drum since 2005, it's time to try something new.

So seems that the general idea is that is good to have a handful of M88s and 201s, eheh
Gear Addict

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
We had an 834 at the studio I used to work for. The boss wouldn't let me buy it when I bought him out. He still uses it in his home studio. We got it at a blow out price when a local shop decided to stop selling Beyer. I should have bought it then, instead of "instructing" him to buy it.
Yeah I still can't believe how good it sounds and how they could have easily marketed it against 414s (which for the record I also love, I own a pair)...incredible mics. If I may brag a little, I paid 350 for this second one, so between the 2 it's been just under 800 for the pair (which mind you was 6 years in the making), which is just criminal. Feels really great to finally have two proper pairs of mics for OH/room mic duty. For those thinking about it, keep an eye on eBay/Reverb/etc and jump on em if you can.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
... Just discovered now in this thread about the TGD70, which seems to be made specifically for bass drum.
I definitely prefer the D70 for bass drum. I have used the M88 and also a Senn MD441 on the bass drum, and do prefer the D70.

The D70 is basically the same mic as the M99, which is discontinued. The differences are the housing and two, instead of three eq settings. I was a bit wary of buying the D70 but was immediately impressed by it the first time I used it.

/Magnus
Deleted 1cebaa9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_N ➡️
I definitely prefer the D70 for bass drum. I have used the M88 and also a Senn MD441 on the bass drum, and do prefer the D70.

The D70 is basically the same mic as the M99, which is discontinued. The differences are the housing and two, instead of three eq settings. I was a bit wary of buying the D70 but was immediately impressed by it the first time I used it.

/Magnus
Nice, I'm going to buy a D70 next month, I will do a comparison with the M88.
Never heard the M99
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah I still can't believe how good it sounds and how they could have easily marketed it against 414s (which for the record I also love, I own a pair)...incredible mics. If I may brag a little, I paid 350 for this second one, so between the 2 it's been just under 800 for the pair (which mind you was 6 years in the making), which is just criminal. Feels really great to finally have two proper pairs of mics for OH/room mic duty. For those thinking about it, keep an eye on eBay/Reverb/etc and jump on em if you can.
Excellent.
Old 2nd February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Quote:
I actually got the horn version, the I57c, version on a great open box deal from MF, after looking at the patterns and response and finding them almost identical. The clip fits fine on some drums, but if it doesn't, you can get a $2 Ludwig snare hoop clip thing, basically a piece of angle steel that goes under a lug screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestion for full drum kit shells mic, Beyer M88 or 201-2.jpeg  
Old 2nd February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang ➡️
I actually got the horn version, the I57c, version on a great open box deal from MF, after looking at the patterns and response and finding them almost identical. The clip fits fine on some drums, but if it doesn't, you can get a $2 Ludwig snare hoop clip thing, basically a piece of angle steel that goes under a lug screw.
How's it sounds?
Old 3rd February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_N ➡️
I am a huge Beyer fan myself. I have been finding really inexpensive Beyer mics on eBay Kleinanzeigen, a German website for classified ads. The M420 is basically a M201 with reduced frequency response above 12 kHz. I don't yet have a M201, so I haven't been able to compare them, but I regularly use the M420 on snare (just micing the batter side) and am more than happy with the results. I also have the M422, which was their dedicated snare mic, but I prefer the 420, which I think has a slightly fuller sound. Both very good mics though, and I found mine for very reasonable prices.

I don't see any mention of the excellent TG D70d, their bass drum (and bass) mic. I really love the resulsts I get with it, using the mics eq setting for bass drum. I just mic the resonant head on my bass drum, no hole in it either.

I also have the M88, which I like for bass cabinet. The M600 I use for recording vocals, also with good results. All recordings I do are made in a live studio setting, so the rather tight patterns of Beyer mics suit me perfectly. The M69 is a great alternative to the 88, with less high frequency response. I have used it for guitar cabs.

The drums on (at least) the first 6 tracks on my Soundcloud page were recorded with two RM BIV I ribbon mics in Recorderman, the M420 on snare and the D70d on bass drum. I am very happy with the sound I get.

/Magnus
Stoked to try this when mine ship.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How's it sounds?
I haven't spent a ton of time with it, but I like it. I've seen a lot of youtube videos with tom mic shootouts that include the Shure Beta 98 or SM98, and a great tom head shootout all done with the previous gen Beyer clip-on condensers, and I was always reasonably impressed. I chose it based on those video and the higher cost of the Shures, used. The clip makes it useful for beater side of kick and under snare, too.

Tom head shootout with the Beyers:

YouTube
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I sold all my nice dynamic mics but I kept the M88TG. Right now it's on outside kick (with an e902 inside) and I am VERY happy with my kick drum sound.

This is the Phil Selway (Radiohead) kick mic of choice also, by the way, to give some idea.

M88TG also excels on toms and bass amps. I wish I had more of them.

I almost had an M201 but the one I bought was broken, so I've never actually heard one.

M160 is on my bucket list as well. The association with Hendrix and Zep is too much for my feeble mind to ignore.
Gear Addict

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Really get a 201. They're not super pricey and I promise you, you will never sell it.

SPAGHET!
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thought I would chime in because I ONLY use Beyerdynamic mics on drums. Typical setup:

Kick In: M99
Kick Out: MC740
Snare Top: M201 or M420
Snare Bot: M422 or MC930
Rack Tom: M69 or M88
Floor Tom: M88 or M99
Overheads: M160 or MC930 (or MC740 mono)

Sometimes the 740 as a mono room. Sometimes the 160s or 930s as stereo rooms. It varies.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Really get a 201. They're not super pricey and I promise you, you will never sell it.

SPAGHET!
Yeah, I keep looking at the 201... it's only a matter of time

this thread is helping / not helping me put it off

spoo-gee-tah
Old 4th February 2019
No experience with the 88 on toms, but I do like the 201 on toms for sure. Lately I've been randomly switching tom mics around, using a different mic/brand on each tom. One of the tom mics on my drum track example in my signature is a 201. There are three toms; can you tell me which one?
Old 5th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Mangum ➡️
Thought I would chime in because I ONLY use Beyerdynamic mics on drums. Typical setup:

Kick In: M99
Kick Out: MC740
Snare Top: M201 or M420
Snare Bot: M422 or MC930
Rack Tom: M69 or M88
Floor Tom: M88 or M99
Overheads: M160 or MC930 (or MC740 mono)

Sometimes the 740 as a mono room. Sometimes the 160s or 930s as stereo rooms. It varies.
Hmmm.... M99, guessing its like the D6? it also says broadcast in the info.. so maybe its like the PR40 or RE27N/D? looks like i'm on the hunt again ..but kinda pricey for me at this time..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
Hmmm.... M99, guessing its like the D6? it also says broadcast in the info.. so maybe its like the PR40 or RE27N/D? looks like i'm on the hunt again ..but kinda pricey for me at this time..
It’s not nearly as “scooped” as the D6. To my ears it sounds like a brighter M88... almost condenser-like on the top. For an all-purpose mic I’d still choose the M88 or 201 for what it’s worth.
Lives for gear
Just a quick FWIW, I've found the M88 and M201s to be mics that are always useful.

I can't think of any application where I'd reject them outright, live or studio. Vocals would need pop filters, of course, but with that in place they're perfectly usable.

I recently used a 201 as a rear-facing room mic in a large Victorian-era theatre. Picked up the natural reverb of the room really well - all I had to do was blend it in with the main mics.

Question, as I haven't tried it yet:
Anyone used a 201 for kick? How was it?

Chris
Old 1st March 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Currently using an m201 in the kick while I await the arrival of a pair of m88’s and another m201. It does an adequate job with the right eq in some styles but there’s not nearly enough bottom to keep it there. I’ve been supplementing with kick samples, so as a trigger and for everything above 80hz it’s clean and punchy, as you would expect.

God help me, I love Beyerdynamic stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 ➡️
Just a quick FWIW, I've found the M88 and M201s to be mics that are always useful.

I can't think of any application where I'd reject them outright, live or studio. Vocals would need pop filters, of course, but with that in place they're perfectly usable.

I recently used a 201 as a rear-facing room mic in a large Victorian-era theatre. Picked up the natural reverb of the room really well - all I had to do was blend it in with the main mics.

Question, as I haven't tried it yet:
Anyone used a 201 for kick? How was it?

Chris
Old 27th May 2019
Here for the gear
For those of you who use an m201 on snare drums, can you explain what it is that you get from it that you don't get from an SM57? I listened to some comparison videos, and it seemed as if the difference between a 201 and a 57 were really slight, and I'm wondering if in a big rock mix if you'll even be able to tell the difference.

I've been looking to upgrade my snare mic (and all my drum mics), but I can't seem to find anything that is really a big step up from a 57 without spending significantly more. I had read a lot of reviews with folks claiming the 201 was an incredible snare mic, but in the clips I've heard, it certainly sounds good but only marginally better than a 57. Any thoughts?
📝 Reply