Quantcast
Trident 80b Records - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trident 80b Records
Old 20th January 2019
Here for the gear

Trident 80b Records

What great records have been done on the Trident 80b? The only ones I know of are the Cake albums. I figured if anyone would know it would be you guys!

Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
GnR's Appetite For Destruction and Mellencamp's Scarecrow are the first ones I recall
Old 20th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace ➡️
GnR's Appetite For Destruction and Mellencamp's Scarecrow are the first ones I recall
Ah, cool. I had no idea Appetite was done on an 80b. Our studio just picked up an 80b in amazing condition for a great deal. It's on the way here so I want to get pumped and listen to some albums done on them.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Appetite done on Mike Clinks Neve 8068...
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 ➡️
It was apparently tracked with an 80b. I was just looking it up myself. Not sure what it was mixed on.

Quote from a previous GS thread: There's an article with the producer of that record in Behind the Glass: Mike Clink, page 215. Great interview, I don't remember all of it though. I just had to pull the book out again.

"a Trident 80b console that also came with the house. Slash got it because he loved the Trident Series 80 board at Rumbo, where Guns N' Roses cut Appetite for Destruction, which Mitchell worked on with producer Mike Clink."
Old 21st January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
It was cut in Rumbo B, Trident 80 room up through the 90s, along with... Motley Crues "GIRLS", STP "CORE", Keb Mo "Slow Down", No Doubt "Tragic Kingdom”, Fleetwood Mac "Tango in the Night"
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Keb Mo record is cool .. thx for sharing that info ... and interesting to hear what other bands used that room/ gear .. love you Slutz !!
Here for the gear

Quote:
It was cut in Rumbo B, Trident 80 room up through the 90s, along with... Motley Crues "GIRLS", STP "CORE", Keb Mo "Slow Down", No Doubt "Tragic Kingdom”, Fleetwood Mac "Tango in the Night"
Awesome, thank you for the list. If anyone knows any other albums done on the 80b or any interesting 80b facts please chime in!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I've been wrong before...

I'll be wrong again...
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In addition to Cake we also did Tesla 5 Man Acoustic Jam and Tony Toni Tone Sons of Soul. A billion years ago we did a short lived group called Cause and Affect. Those were all on the 80b.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Old 22nd January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
uh oh

It surely does not sound like a Neve. Maybe they later did some percussion overdubs or something??
Old 23rd January 2019
Here for the gear

Wanted to chime in on my own thread here as I've found out the Offspring records were done at a studio in LA with an 80 series. I'm not sure what studio it was though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer ➡️
In addition to Cake we also did Tesla 5 Man Acoustic Jam and Tony Toni Tone Sons of Soul. A billion years ago we did a short lived group called Cause and Affect. Those were all on the 80b.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Kirt, I love the Cake records. They are a very unique band with an interesting sound. What was is like working with them?
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks! Those were strange and interesting sessions to work on. They have a specific sound, and I think we eventually figured out how to capture it without screwing it up. I'd be happy to answer any questions....but to save my fingers a bit of mileage, here's a thread from several years back where some of this was covered.

Thanks!

'Cake's signal chain for bass

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Are we talking about tracked, or tracked and mixed? I've used 80b's and I like the basic tone of them, and thought the EQ's sounded great but were a bit limited. Wouldn't want to mix music on one without some other EQ choices.
Old 23rd January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks! Those were strange and interesting sessions to work on. They have a specific sound, and I think we eventually figured out how to capture it without screwing it up. I'd be happy to answer any questions....but to save my fingers a bit of mileage, here's a thread from several years back where some of this was covered.

Thanks!

'Cake's signal chain for bass

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
That was a great read thank you! The 80b preamps really were a good fit for Cakes unique sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
Are we talking about tracked, or tracked and mixed? I've used 80b's and I like the basic tone of them, and thought the EQ's sounded great but were a bit limited. Wouldn't want to mix music on one without some other EQ choices.
Either/Or. What is you preference on EQs if you had an album tracked with an 80b?
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tracked and mixed. We had at that time some outboard EQ...most notably the extremely rare C-Gray eq, but the majority of the work was done on the board eq. Yes, the Trident EQ is broad strokes rather than surgical, but the tone is great. I rarely felt limited.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Here for the gear

Quote:
Tracked and mixed. We had at that time some outboard EQ...most notably the extremely rare C-Gray eq, but the majority of the work was done on the board eq. Yes, the Trident EQ is broad strokes rather than surgical, but the tone is great. I rarely felt limited.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
I've heard the 80b EQ is very musical and you can't really do wrong on it.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
I'd be interested to know what guitar and amp was used for most of Fashion Nugget. That tone has haunted me for years. Still one of my favorite records ever, I still listen to it often and the sound of that album is just phenomenal.
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, there were over the years several guitarists with different rigs, but if my fading memory serves, it was a Guild SF-4 into a Silvertone amp....I think.

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCalf ➡️
Either/Or. What is you preference on EQs if you had an album tracked with an 80b?
My vague recollection is that their EQ's sound nice but can't do really tight Q's. So something additional that can.
Old 1st April 2020
NL5
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tom Petty's "Learning to fly was tracked and mixed on an 80 Series. Richard Dodd talking about it here - https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...y-learning-fly
📝 Reply