Quantcast
Amek Big or D&R Orion - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amek Big or D&R Orion
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Amek Big or D&R Orion

i want e new Console for my studio, actually using a soundtracs topaz. nice i recapped it but i think i need something new. my needs for the console are, at least 8 buss, 6-8 Auxes, best would be that all connections are balanced. nice 3-4 band eq, if possible with q.

i read a few bad things about the amek big. Is it really that bad?
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Refurbed a D&R Orion a few years ago and have been using it daily since. If you can find one I’d highly recommend it. Probably the best audio purchase I’ve made.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for Jesus

🎧 15 years
I say get the D&R

I love some Amek's ... I owned an APC1000 it sounded great but was lots of maintenance.

The D&R will be cleaner sounding, good mic pres, EQs, good patch bay, and the company is still in business. Very good circuit design so the caps should last much longer, actually very few caps in the audio path. The designers wanted a straight wire approach so the audio would remain clean and un changed by loads of caps and un needed op amps.

I have not used that desk,. but I own a D&R Octagon and the more I use it, the more I love it. Clean sounding, great circuit design, lots of headroom easy to get a good sounding mix fast.

One problem with the Big might be the pots and switches, they are so old by now and they were not the best in the first place and they may be a pain to replace. And caps, meters etc.. (i recall there might be a chip in the meter section that is proprietary and can not be found anymore.. I cant remember) I always thought the Big was fine for Live Sound reinforcement but not great for the studio.

Remember to double check any desk before you buy and try to learn the history and get maintenance records if available.

Last edited by stevep; 20th January 2019 at 01:41 PM..
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

thanks for all the input.
Old 21st January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
like amek desks a lot and got much more experience mixing on angela, mozart, recall than on any d&r, but when comparing specs/options from orion and big, i'm pretty much convinced that the d&r will win...
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The one time I messed with a BIG I wasn't impressed.
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

How does the Stylyx stand up against a orion? What do you guys think about a DDA D-Series?
Old 22nd January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for Jesus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW ➡️
How does the Stylyx stand up against a orion? What do you guys think about a DDA D-Series?
Not sure about the Stylyx , it might be a few steps below the Orion, and the Orion X is a step up.

The DDA Amr24 is a good desk for tracking,, but not as good for mixing . It is a 'split; design.
One problem with the DDA is the chips are not in sockets,. so it is a pain to replace a chip.
And there is no prefader meters for the channels,. only meters for the master and the buss outs.
I almost bought one,.. but I would have had to do many mods to make it work for me.

Old 15th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Amek Big8 module

Hello does anyone know how to get stereo signal into the big 8 Channel module
According to Manuel it is a stereo module
It’s say stereo but only has two mono inputs
Old 18th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONHEAD ➡️
Hello does anyone know how to get stereo signal into the big 8 Channel module
According to Manuel it is a stereo module
It’s say stereo but only has two mono inputs
so i dont know the big but for me 2 mono = Stereo
Old 18th April 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
The Big was not exactly Amek's shining beacon of a console. Lots of problems. Especially in the EQ - lack of headroom when inserted.

The Orion is a solid console. I've owned a couple. Well made, great sounding consoles. Easy to service.

Stylyx is several generations older, and doesn't have all the features of an Orion. Same sonic family though.
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

There’s an Orion X on L.A.’s Craiglist right now for $5K, same one that’s on eBay for $5.5K, great deal. I have a Cinemix, love it. I believe D&R used all off-the-shelf parts which are still readily available.
Old 19th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep ➡️
The DDA Amr24 is a good desk for tracking
i manage to track on mine.

i mix too, with static fader positions on the console, and automation via the DAW.

been working that way for Years now.

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Amek Big or D&R Orion-jbls-dda.jpg  
Lives for Jesus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy ➡️
There’s an Orion X on L.A.’s Craiglist right now for $5K, same one that’s on eBay for $5.5K, great deal. I have a Cinemix, love it. I believe D&R used all off-the-shelf parts which are still readily available.
Yes D&R used parts that are still available today,. and D&R might even have some of the parts for sale.

D&R used sockets for their chips. The DDA AMR24 does not have sockets for the chips. In the DDA the chips are all soldered to the PCB so to replace a chip it is a pain. That is the main reason did not go with a DDA AMR24. Also there is no pre fader meters on the DDA.
Lives for Jesus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA ➡️
i manage to track on mine.

i mix too, with static fader positions on the console, and automation via the DAW.

been working that way for Years now.

Buddha
Love your 4435s !!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep ➡️
Love your 4435s !!
i have always been delighted when i worked in any studio with double 15s left and right.

these set are same as Studio 301 had in studio B (ssl room ) in the late 80s.

if the power amps are good, its nice to feel the thump down in your stomach.
when you EQ down very low, you more feel it than hear it.

absolutely excellent when tracking.

stops all those Bad EQ moves in the 50 to 85hz range that might dominate, when tracking/mixing on nearfields.

especially important on kick drum and bass Guitar.

Buddha
Lives for Jesus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i have always been delighted when i worked in any studio with double 15s left and right.
Agreed ,. I built an 18" sub into the front wall behind the console, It fills in where the 4435s taper off. When mixing i am on the NS10 about 90% of the mix.
Since the 80s i have had 4430s in 2 studios. At Inspiration Studio i decided to go with the 4435, and i am so glad i did.

Attached Thumbnails
Amek Big or D&R Orion-80972295_3499027710171670_2455822176268320768_o.jpg  
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Great shot Stevep.

i have often thought about adding an 18 sub in the control room. good move.

in my Band room i have a Quad PA with dual 18s and a set of single 15s and horns, in 2 corners, plus a set of double 15s TR225s and dual 15 subs, in the other 2 corners, so i check the lows on them.

always good to know whats happening down low.

nice room. Buddha
Old 6th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a 32 input Orion that I’ve had since 95 or so that I’m planning to sell in the near future if anyone is interested.
Old 6th November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

these set are same as Studio 301 had in studio B (ssl room ) in the late 80s.

if the power amps are good, its nice to feel the thump down in your stomach.
when you EQ down very low, you more feel it than hear it.

absolutely excellent when tracking.

stops all those Bad EQ moves in the 50 to 85hz range that might dominate, when tracking/mixing on nearfields.

especially important on kick drum and bass Guitar.

Buddha
It seems fitting that a guy called Big Buddha has Big a$$ monitors!
📝 Reply