Midas L10 Strange Noise Problem - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midas L10 Strange Noise Problem
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Midas L10 Strange Noise Problem

Greetings all,

I recently purchased a the 10 slot 500 series rack by Midas from a local gear swap page on facebook, and the Daking 500 pre, also used. Both look to be in great physical condition.

Upon trying to record, there is a sound I've never heard any gear make before, this tone that oscillates in pitch, like a little sci fi UFO sound. I've tried turning off my wifi router, tried it at a friend's place, tried it plugged into a different power conditioner, and tried most of the 10 different slots to no avail. I also read that there was a noise problem with some of the earlier Daking units that originated from the meter, so I unplugged that, also no change.

I contacted Daking with an audio clip of the sound, Dave replied that it's likely the rack, which checks out to me. Sadly I have no access to another lunchbox or pre module I could use to do some process of elimination, so I thought I'd pick the brains of all you fine folks here.

I attached a couple clips of the noise, in one I slowly turn up the gain, in the other it starts at full gain and then I turn off the power on the Midas.

Any thoughts on what the cause and or solution could be would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Files

Daking 500 Pre Noise.wav (4.01 MB, 6859 views)

Midas L10 Noise.wav (3.61 MB, 6971 views)

Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Depending on how the power supply is designed, it could be oscillations from the power supply leaking into the power rails and being picked up by the modules.

Some 500 series racks have exhibited this problem. The Purple Audio Sweet 10 is one. The Bento rack is another. There's posts on both racks here on users having problems with weird oscillations because of their power supplies leaking into the audio path of 500 series modules.

A lot of times it doesn't get picked up by non-preamp modules simply because they're not really "amping" the signal by a huge amount, so the noise in the rails getting transferred to the module doesn't get picked up. The sound is very low, but because preamps are amping the signal 40 or 50 dB, then it magnifies the problem.

One thing that might help is making sure your preamps are as far away from the built in power supply as possible. Some people have managed to counteract this by putting their pres in the first two slots instead of all the way right by the power supply. Another way is to get a smaller rack with a better built power supply for your pres, but use this one for your compressors and eqs.

There's no way to fix it really if the problem is how the power supply is designed.

I've encountered a similar problem with guitar boost pedals. I have a boost pedal that can boost up to 30 dB I think. I've always used Dunlop power supplies for my guitar pedals and never had a problem. All of a sudden I had a horrible whistling in my signal with the boost pedal. I swapped out the power supply for a different one (Pigtronix I think) and bam! The whistle was gone. Obviously the Dunlop power supply wasn't designed so great because most guitar pedals don't amplify the signal enough for you to hear the noise leaking from the power supply. But once I used a boost pedal that boosted the signal 30dB, then I could hear the whistle clear as day.

Anyway, good luck. Try moving the pres to the first slots, but really, if it's a questionably designed power supply that's leaking oscillations, there's not much you can do.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I had to send back two brand new Midas L6 racks with this same problem.

I believe it's a bad design. Several other people I've talked to have noticed this same issue.

I just put in an order for a Lindell 510 Power MK II, hopefully that one will work.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Here's a page describing the problem:

The Noisy 500 Rack with Switched Mode PSU - Bart HRK

Unfortunately all of these noisy racks are available for purchase. It's "caveat emptor" in this case you have to be aware and look for the problem so it doesn't bite you on the rear, say miking up an acoustic guitar with a ribbon mic or something.

I learned my lesson and I will now do a noise test when setting up any new 500 chassis.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Thanks to one of these threads here on GS I've recently canceled the L10 from a Thomann purchase.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If I got an l10 I can’t return can I replace the power supply? I got one used but I have not received it yet.
Old 6th April 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnycheebs ➡️
If I got an l10 I can’t return can I replace the power supply? I got one used but I have not received it yet.
If you're real good with DIY maybe you could retrofit a standard 5 pin XLR so you could use any number of standard 500 rack supplies
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I’ve got a friend in Nashville that’s building me 10 - 500 series mic pres for my Midas L10 Rack. He made a day job for a while designing high-end power supplies for POE and has designed a single board 3A 500 rack power supply that we will swap out in my rack when the pres are ready. These will be for sale in the coming months as far as I know. I’ll send my friend a link to this thread and maybe he’ll chime in.
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mine just arrived after being on pre order for ages.

Unfortunately its power supply is too noisey to be acceptable in any actual studio setting.

Another thing i found was that the width of the unit where it would insert into the rack space was 448mm which is actually the exact width between the rack strips on my desk. I could have forced it in but it would have scratched the sides.

On the plus side, I was impressed with the sturdyness and the foam which protects the PCB is a nice touch. Not too mention it has proper metric screws so the befaco knurlies could have been used to mount modules.

Shame really I was hoping to save some £££ and replace my radial powerhouse with this. Looks like you get what you pay for though, Lesson learned!
Old 25th June 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz ➡️
I’ve got a friend in Nashville that’s building me 10 - 500 series mic pres for my Midas L10 Rack. He made a day job for a while designing high-end power supplies for POE and has designed a single board 3A 500 rack power supply that we will swap out in my rack when the pres are ready. These will be for sale in the coming months as far as I know. I’ll send my friend a link to this thread and maybe he’ll chime in.
Any update on that, has your friend got the power supply running with the midas. Does he has those for sale? Looking more and more into a nice Capi rack instead although I have L6 and don't have noise problem....at the moment, but eventually I think doing it a little mod, Capi have also filter that may fit to it also.
Old 26th June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacky123 ➡️
Any update on that, has your friend got the power supply running with the midas. Does he has those for sale? Looking more and more into a nice Capi rack instead although I have L6 and don't have noise problem....at the moment, but eventually I think doing it a little mod, Capi have also filter that may fit to it also.
I'll check! I know he has been busy with some sessions lately.
Old 26th June 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz ➡️
I'll check! I know he has been busy with some sessions lately.

Hi Group:
Here is the supply I'm producing. It supplies lo-noise adjustable bi-polar rails of +/- 12V to +/- 24V. @1.75 amps. (transformer selectable) and +48 for phantom. It fits nicely into a 500 series rack. I'm offering them for $129.00 + $50.00 for the toroidal transformer. Screw terminals in and out for easy installation. Fully burned in and tested.

Email for data sheet:

[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Midas L10 Strange Noise Problem-500-series-power-supply.jpg  
Old 14th May 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiomatics ➡️
Greetings all,

I recently purchased a the 10 slot 500 series rack by Midas from a local gear swap page on facebook, and the Daking 500 pre, also used. Both look to be in great physical condition.

Upon trying to record, there is a sound I've never heard any gear make before, this tone that oscillates in pitch, like a little sci fi UFO sound. I've tried turning off my wifi router, tried it at a friend's place, tried it plugged into a different power conditioner, and tried most of the 10 different slots to no avail. I also read that there was a noise problem with some of the earlier Daking units that originated from the meter, so I unplugged that, also no change.

I contacted Daking with an audio clip of the sound, Dave replied that it's likely the rack, which checks out to me. Sadly I have no access to another lunchbox or pre module I could use to do some process of elimination, so I thought I'd pick the brains of all you fine folks here.

I attached a couple clips of the noise, in one I slowly turn up the gain, in the other it starts at full gain and then I turn off the power on the Midas.

Any thoughts on what the cause and or solution could be would be greatly appreciated!
The best thing is to cut the traces to the internal power supply unit and put a connector on the rear panel going to the traces and put a remote power supply like a Condor +/-16v and the +48v supply.It's cheap and works like a million bucks while I've never had good luck with internal power supplies which are junk.
Old 14th May 2020
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yeah, Midas L10 with a new power supply installed (modification) is a great idea.

Although, at that price, why not just build a CAPI rack and go from there.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a 500 series chassis and am wondering if the Midas L10 still has any issues? Were these issues with earlier versions and sorted now or do they still exist in the current versions?
Old 8th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➡️
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a 500 series chassis and am wondering if the Midas L10 still has any issues? Were these issues with earlier versions and sorted now or do they still exist in the current versions?

I am curious about this as well ...

Old 23rd August 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bump
Old 1st September 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I would also want to know
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Zorro ➡️
I would also want to know
I can confirm that it is still noisy. I just got mine from Thomann and will return it. (Midas Legend L6)
Old 13th November 2020
Here for the gear

So I had the same issue with a Lindell 506 Mk1 but found if I put preamps in the first 3 slots, away from the psu, there was no audible noise.

Does anyone here have an L10 and if I were to put preamps in the first 6 slots and use the reamining for for compressors and eq are the preamps still likely to get interference from the PSU? (as they would be a few inches away)

Thanks in advance
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattwell ➡️
So I had the same issue with a Lindell 506 Mk1 but found if I put preamps in the first 3 slots, away from the psu, there was no audible noise.

Does anyone here have an L10 and if I were to put preamps in the first 6 slots and use the reamining for for compressors and eq are the preamps still likely to get interference from the PSU? (as they would be a few inches away)

Thanks in advance
My preamps were in the first four slots (Left side) and I was getting "the noise." I wouldn't recommend the midas L boxes. Not with all the options there are now.
Old 14th November 2020
Here for the gear

Yikes, what a pain. Unfortunately I've already ordered one, I'll give it a quick test when it arrives, but sounds like I might have to return it. Was keen to get the capi kit but living in the UK they're not the easiest to get hold of and the shipping and import tax mounts up. Thanks
📝 Reply