Quantcast
Pultec Shootout with Sound Samples - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pultec Shootout with Sound Samples
Old 23rd January 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie-1 ➡️
Hello e-are.

Is there any way for you to possibly put these sounds though your AML Pultec, so as to get a sense from them in comparison, either on here or via Dropbox, PM or something, if you can find the time it’d be very much appreciated?

If you are willing to do it, doesn’t have to be exactly matched, just try and match by ear.

Spoke to Collin, straight forward, very down to earth and knowledgeable. No demo gear send outs anymore, but has kindly offered me to go up and test out the gear, but it’s a fair slice of the country away, so hearing it on these examples could help me to see what ballpark, then I can take it from there. I have listened to the Youtube demos.

Thanks,
I´m interested of this aswell!!!
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I liked 1 and 5 because they don't smear the phase on the kick that much. But 1 sounded a bit harder on the transients which usually a sound of Nebula processing in my experience. The rest sounded more or less the same to me.

Interested in the answers.
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I wasn't a fan of the Acustica compressors I tried... just throwing that in here since it was mentioned. I think "maybe" I like their EQ alright, but I don't reach for it often. Maybe I should, who knows, there are so many plugins and so little time.
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndalen ➡️
I´m interested of this aswell!!!
I just pm'd Vinnie for the file. Be glad to do it.
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Am I missing something or did he just use a single frequency to calibrate the low then another for the high frequencies but not measure the actual curve each unit is using an on-screen analyzer?
Old 6th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 ➡️
I would like to ask to a Stam SA-EQP1A owner to contribute to this amazing thread.

Thank you!,
Daniel.
There are none, yet. However, I can help with this in a couple months (in theory).

Anyway, I liked the Pulse Tube the best myself. I wanted to like some of the others just as much, but they weren't quite there on the vibe for me. The Tubetech was right up there with it for me, though.
Old 6th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are ➡️
I just pm'd Vinnie for the file. Be glad to do it.
Haven’t received your PM, but here's Lynn’s files.

Audio files: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ssipublic/P...ofilesonly.zip

ProTools session: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ssipublic/P...olssession.zip

Thanks a lot for taking the time, it's well appreciated!
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Vinnie. I will process them hopefully today.
Old 10th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nice one!

Looking forward to it.
Old 12th February 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
How did it go?
Old 13th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie-1 ➡️
Haven’t received your PM, but here's Lynn’s files.

Audio files: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ssipublic/P...ofilesonly.zip

ProTools session: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ssipublic/P...olssession.zip

Thanks a lot for taking the time, it's well appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndalen ➡️
How did it go?
So Sorry. I completely forgot about this and have been very busy. I do not have a session tonight so after work, I'm on it. My apologies again.
Oh Vinnie, just noticed I didn't pm you
sorry..
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

41 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Pulse Technology Pultec is one of my favorites in the test which recently had a review in Sound on Sound magazine. It seems to capture a sound that is so pleasant and provides what you expect from a Pultec. It seems to stand taller than alot of the other Pultecs - granted this is all subjective.

The Manley has a little more color but in a gentle way that I also love. It made me think about starting to use my Manley Voxbox Pultec EQ as an insert on tracks as it sounds glorious on vocals, and acoustic guitars.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, I ran the drum mix through the AML. Wasn't sure how to make this equal to the others in the shootout so....It's not

1 file is flat. No boost.
30Hz and 12K boost on 1 file.
The Drums file is just the original.
All level matched.

Antelope Orion is my interface.
Attached Thumbnails
Pultec Shootout with Sound Samples-pultec-image.jpg  
Attached Files

Drums.wav (2.52 MB, 3558 views)

Drums AML Flat.wav (2.52 MB, 3540 views)

Drums AML wEQ 30Hz 12K.wav (2.52 MB, 3573 views)

Old 18th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok, I ran the drum mix through the AML. Wasn't sure how to make this equal to the others in the shootout so....It's not

1 file is flat. No boost.
30Hz and 12K boost on 1 file.
The Drums file is just the original.
All level matched.

Antelope Orion is my interface.
Thanks e-are

I'll check it later.
Old 8th May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

Something is wrong with that article on sweetwater. Maybe the article pursues some goals?

But my Klark teknik sounds quite different. I bought it a month ago. Here is an example with max boost. Just listen to the first attachment. Ok it sounds a bit brighter then pultec.
Well, let's adjust it a litle bit: HF CUT 3KHz CUT 3.

Compare the last 8 seconds from Drum Mix — Gradual Boost with my sounds.

Recorded with RME UFX+.
Attached Files

Drums_KlarkTeknik EQPKT_LF BOOST 30Hz_HF BOOST 12KHz_ALL MAX.wav (5.55 MB, 3066 views)

Drums_KlarkTeknik EQPKT_LF BOOST 30Hz_HF BOOST 12KHz_HF CUT_3KHz_CUT 3_MAX BOOST.wav (5.55 MB, 3065 views)

Old 9th May 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticman ➡️
Something is wrong with that article on sweetwater. Maybe the article pursues some goals?
I doubt it. Sweetwater wants to sell units. I don't think they care too much about which ones.

As for the KT-EQ...my guess is that if you already have a rich low end and you use a KT to boost or enhance it, it will work pretty ok. I could be wrong. Maybe it's stone cold junk.

Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanx for this shootout, it saves me a lot of money. Comparing included Pro Tools session and used Acustica Purple 2 gives me confidence that if I am not able to buy original I should buy this plugin. Freaking unrecognizable from original

KT EQ and UAD sounds horrible (I am used to use UAD till I hear this)
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm a bit late to the party, but I was interested in this shootout because I wanted to hear how Klark performs.
Important: There are discrepancies in volume between the samples and interestingly enough, Klark Teknik EQP-KT is 1.2dB quieter than most of them who average at -6.2dB (peak).
Here are their levels as read on Reaper's meter:

pultec 1: -6.3
pultec 2: -6.0
tubetech: -6.2
manley: -6.5
retro: -6.0
wes audio: -6.2
warm audio: -6.2
klark teknik: -7.4
apogee: -5.9
avid: -6.0
ik multimedia: -5.6
ozone: -6.0
softube: -6.1
uad: -6.2
waves: -6.2

Sure, Klark was outclassed even by plugins, because it's 1.2dB quieter! I level matched all of them and suddenly Klark began to show its strength. It does sound different than most of them and even when level matched it sounds different than the originals, but so do others. Tubetech and WesAudio are very close, the rest of them are either more woolly or boomy when listening to the low end. Klark on the contrary is tighter and cleaner than the originals, we can say more modern sounding and in my book this is not necessarily a bad thing. It reminds me somewhat of Sonimus SonEQ pro which has the low band based on the Pultec. I fell in love with it due to sounding tighter. I can imagine two Klarks in the chain after my diy Vari-Mu which inflates the low end a bit and is a bit woolly. I wouldn't necessarily use a more boomy sounding Pultec clone after it, but Klarks could very much fit with their tighter sound.
Now, the high end. I'm very much sure that it has been boosted at least 2dB more than on other clones in this shootout. There is no way it would sound this bright at the same amount of boost.
10 years ago I've made a Gyraf two channel Pultec. I sold it, because I was not really a fan of its low-end which for my taste was a bit exaggerated and it was not easy to dial just the right amount. It was quickly too much. I do very much like the low end boost on the Klark I hear in this shootout. Maybe the original Pultec sound is not my cup of tea, but I like this cleaner and tighter version Klark Teknik have made. And for 430 EUR/pair I can only laugh and press the order button.

Just my 2 cents and a warning to scrutinize such shootouts, because even half a dB will affect your judgement, what to speak of 1dB or more.
It might be interesting to note, that IK Pultec plugin has been praised here. Of course, with 1.8dB higher level than Klark it sounds terrific and totally demolishes it!
At the end this shootout appears to me as if there was an agenda to stop the sales of the utterly cheap and competitive Klark.
And no, I don't work for KT. I just like fair comparisons when they are made.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Having owned the EQP-KT I will tell you that high frequency boost is not its strong suit.

It's good at low end, indeed, I liked it for that.

I wouldn't buy an EQP-KT to boost tops on my lead vocal. There are better options.
Old 8th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
Having owned the EQP-KT I will tell you that high frequency boost is not its strong suit.

I wouldn't buy an EQP-KT to boost tops on my lead vocal. There are better options.
Could it be that the high boost is calibrated so that there is quickly too much or it simply doesn't have a smooth curve?
I wouldn't say that based on the curve I saw.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavoyager ➡️
Could it be that the high boost is calibrated so that there is quickly too much or it simply doesn't have a smooth curve?
I wouldn't say that based on the curve I saw.
A curve is not going to tell you the same story as your ears will.

But I can say that the high end curves on the KT are "wrong." They are too broad, is what someone told me that measured them. There's a missing tap on the HF inductor, vs the vintage target. It's a design compromise they made.

But what my ears are telling me is the HF boost is a tiny bit harsh/grainy/unpleasant on the EQP-KT when I was using it on a lead vocal on an album I released. I had to really be conservative with it and my vocal ended up a little too dark maybe. Oh well it was a dark song anyway.

The bass shaping on the bass synthesizers was pretty epic though with EQP-KT.

And you get that nice tube amp feel from the makeup gain circuit. Just a little bit of openness and squish. Different to my solid state Lindell PEX-500.

I ended up keeping the Lindells around. I want to buy some DIY Recording EQP kits, people keep raving about those on gearslutz.

In the box I use the Rule Tec Heritage Pro from Noise Ash it is truly an exceptional Pultec plugin. I never bonded with the UAD.

In this lower price bracket, you are losing something with any of them. Available frequencies, sound quality, build quality, having to go software instead of hardware. Not all of those with all of them but maybe one or two each.

It's a bit of a quest trying to get the best in this price range, but I think it's worth the effort in the long run. Choose your poison.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
A curve is not going to tell you the same story as your ears will.

But I can say that the high end curves on the KT are "wrong." They are too broad, is what someone told me that measured them. There's a missing tap on the HF inductor, vs the vintage target. It's a design compromise they made.
That's what I'm hearing. I still believe it was boosted more than the others in the shootout, though.
I'd buy two klarks for 2bus/mastering mainly, so we're talking 2dB boosts max.
Well, I'll simply have to try them out and forget I'm listening to a Pultec clone. I'm curious if I'll find the high boost musical at gentle boosts. I really like the low boost I'm hearing so I'm keeping my fingers crossed the high band is usable, too.
Old 9th September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Agreed. Don’t love the top end on mine either. It’s ok. Just average. The low end push/pull is nice though. Stays parked on my kick drum and never ever leaves. Just a little goes a long way. Interesting about the volume discrepancies on those samples. Guess you just have to get the gear in your own space to really evaluate it.
Old 22nd September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➡️
Agreed. Don’t love the top end on mine either. It’s ok. Just average.
Maybe I'm missing something but since these are all passive EQs, meaning it's all cutting and a general makeup boost to level the sound, wouldn't the sound mainly just come from the general sound of the unit itself, the transformers? Meaning, if someone says "the high end really isn't amazing" really means that it's a transparent EQ while the others are imparting some of their own mojo?
Old 22nd September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMusician ➡️
Maybe I'm missing something but since these are all passive EQs, meaning it's all cutting and a general makeup boost to level the sound, wouldn't the sound mainly just come from the general sound of the unit itself, the transformers? Meaning, if someone says "the high end really isn't amazing" really means that it's a transparent EQ while the others are imparting some of their own mojo?

You are probably right but I do know a couple major label mix guys who use real Pultecs to lift the top end on vocals from time to time with great results.

One guy told me it does nice things to the "air frequencies" particularly on female vox.
Old 22nd September 2019
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So... my takeaways are..

1) I was kinda shocked at how well the IK plug performed on the low end of the drum mix. It gave it a weight I did not expect... very comparable to how to Pultec made me feel. I understand it's louder than the others... but.... loudness doesn't mean I feel the vibrations of the kick w/ my hands on my desk. I felt it with the Pultec, the Tubetech, WesAudio, a little with the Warm, and with the IK plug... and the UA plug. (I didn't listen to ALL of the plugs honestly)
2) KT was thinner on the low end... not bad but if I had the money, I'd prefer the Warm over it.
3) If I were going to purchase... I think I'd go with TubeTech or WesAudio. Retro didn't go as deep as I wanted on that kick.

Right now... I have a Warm and I have the IK plug. So... I'm pretty damn happy and don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Yes that "extra" is felt.. but, it feels like less than 5%. If these were blink there's no chance i'd reliably choose the Pultec over any of them. The only one I feel like I'd have a chance to pick out of the bunch is the KT. But that doesn't mean bad... just means a little different.
Old 23rd September 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMusician ➡️
Bingo this for most cases. "Analogue colour" is usually 95% the transformers. I'd also add though that indeed some tubes can sometimes impart some colour besides just their THD level, especially older stock. However once again with the Pultech design, it actually does have some unique cut/boost curves not seen in other passive RC- or LRC-type filters. These have fairly recently been defined somewhat with the label "Gerzon Shelf"

These types of shelves have a pretty unique phase and amplitude response distinct from other circuits. But we already know that about the Pultech That said, I'm not totally sure if the Gerzon style applies to the high band, but if it does, it might just be useful to know about it...

Could be cool to mock up a Pultech impression ITB using DMG Equilibrium > Wavearts Tube Saturator > Kazrog True Iron...?

PS. It's a passive EQ meaning it uses only passive components to boost/cut, but does have an active amp stage after the EQ block.
Old 23rd September 2019
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I bet the quality of the amplifier has a lot to do with it. Low end punch and size, transient response, etc.
Old 24th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➡️
So... my takeaways are..

1) I was kinda shocked at how well the IK plug performed on the low end of the drum mix. It gave it a weight I did not expect... very comparable to how to Pultec made me feel. I understand it's louder than the others... but.... loudness doesn't mean I feel the vibrations of the kick w/ my hands on my desk. I felt it with the Pultec, the Tubetech, WesAudio, a little with the Warm, and with the IK plug... and the UA plug. (I didn't listen to ALL of the plugs honestly)
2) KT was thinner on the low end... not bad but if I had the money, I'd prefer the Warm over it.
3) If I were going to purchase... I think I'd go with TubeTech or WesAudio. Retro didn't go as deep as I wanted on that kick.

Right now... I have a Warm and I have the IK plug. So... I'm pretty damn happy and don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Yes that "extra" is felt.. but, it feels like less than 5%. If these were blink there's no chance i'd reliably choose the Pultec over any of them. The only one I feel like I'd have a chance to pick out of the bunch is the KT. But that doesn't mean bad... just means a little different.
Import the files into your DAW and carefully level match them. KT file is 1.2dB quieter while IK file is 0.8dB louder than originals, thus 2dB louder than Klark Teknik!!!
Of course it has weight then. It's 2dB louder!
This shootout gets a down vote from me as it is not fair.

Again, level match them and then tell me how KT sounds. I think its low boost sounds stellar. The high boost was surely boosted more than on the other clones.
Old 24th September 2019
When you say louder or quieter by Xdb...what do you mean? Like an average level difference? Or is that a peak difference at various points of the track? Or a single instance of a peak above or below another track?
📝 Reply