Quantcast
Three mics for VO? (Four?) (Five?) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Three mics for VO? (Four?) (Five?)
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Nut

Three mics for VO? (Four?) (Five?)

If you had good preamps, a well treated recording room, a Sennheiser MKH416, EV RE20, and a great old RCA ribbon mic, what would you get next to round out your voice over options in a home studio.

Two really jump at me. Both have sounds I don’t get from my current mic collection, and both seem popular. Which is the smarter buy from a business perspective?

1. Gefell m930.
2. Neumann TLM193

I left a TLM103 off the list since I put the Gefell there, and I cannot afford a U87 at this time. Right now I record mostly audiobooks, brass, and strings, but I’d like to expand.

Thanks you for any help!

-Brian

Last edited by OrchDork; 11th January 2019 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Nut

Anybody?
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchDork ➡️
If you had good preamps, a well treated recording room, a Sennheiser MKH416, EV RE20, and a great old RCA ribbon mic, what would you get next to round out your voice over options in a home studio.

1. Gefell m930.
2. Neumann TLM193
I own a 930 and have worked many times with the 193.

Those are two quite different mics tonally, in that the Gefell is on the brighter side and the Neumann is on the darker side.

That said, they both take EQ very well and are both great for V/O so it doesn't really make your choice any easier - the traditional Gearslutz answer being to get both.

I suppose if you were having major sibilance problems the 193 might choose itself, but the high-end on the M930 is so smooth I've never had an issue with it.

On the other hand as you already have a good couple of dynamics/ribbons, maybe an LDC with a bit more 'modern-sounding' presence, i.e. the M930, might be a good complement to your locker?

I think ultimately you'd have to try them on your own voice to know for sure.

All I can say is that on my voice and to my ears nothing I've tried in any studio makes me sound more like 'me' than my trusty Gefell M930.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Two really jump at me. Both have sounds I don’t get from my current mic collection, and both seem popular. Which is the smarter buy from a business perspective?

1. Gefell m930.
2. Neumann TLM193

I left a TLM103 off the list since I put the Gefell there, and I can not afford a U87 at this time. Right now I record mostly audiobooks, brass, and strings, but I’d like to expand.

Thanks you for any help!

-Brian
If you can't afford a used vintage U87 (I saw one on the GS classifieds for about 2.3k), then I'do the following:

1. save some more and get a used (vintage) U87 OR
2. get a Neumann tlm107

I do feel that the tlm 193 (while it's a great smooth/unhyped mic and I like its other iterations as well, aka the 170 and the u89), might be more hit or miss for V.O. work..(or as the previous poster said might work better on some sibilant voices).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Why not have a look at the SE Gemini or the SE Z5600A ?? The Gemini seems to get compared to the U87 a lot and a seen a few reviews mention that some engineers say that the se gemini has a better sound han the U87.
Old 10th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
I own a 930 and have worked many times with the 193.

Those are two quite different mics tonally, in that the Gefell is on the brighter side and the Neumann is on the darker side.

That said, they both take EQ very well and are both great for V/O so it doesn't really make your choice any easier - the traditional Gearslutz answer being to get both.

I suppose if you were having major sibilance problems the 193 might choose itself, but the high-end on the M930 is so smooth I've never had an issue with it.

On the other hand as you already have a good couple of dynamics/ribbons, maybe an LDC with a bit more 'modern-sounding' presence, i.e. the M930, might be a good complement to your locker?

I think ultimately you'd have to try them on your own voice to know for sure.

All I can say is that on my voice and to my ears nothing I've tried in any studio makes me sound more like 'me' than my trusty Gefell M930.
James: That helps tremendously! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
If you can't afford a used vintage U87 (I saw one on the GS classifieds for about 2.3k), then I'do the following:

1. save some more and get a used (vintage) U87 OR
2. get a Neumann tlm107

I do feel that the tlm 193 (while it's a great smooth/unhyped mic and I like its other iterations as well, aka the 170 and the u89), might be more hit or miss for V.O. work..(or as the previous poster said might work better on some sibilant voices).

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Cheu: That’s a great point—thanks! I probably should just keep saving for the vintage U87. What do you like about the TLM107? I haven’t read much about that one, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHXDOHMUSIC ➡️
Why not have a look at the SE Gemini or the SE Z5600A ?? The Gemini seems to get compared to the U87 a lot and a seen a few reviews mention that some engineers say that the se gemini has a better sound han the U87.
Shxdohmusic: I’ll check those out. Thank you for the suggestion! At this point, I was looking for standards that look right on a profile/website and sound good—and have a strong retail value should I need to sell them as I grow this hobby/business and need something that fits better.
Old 10th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cheu: That’s a great point—thanks! I probably should just keep saving for the vintage U87. What do you like about the TLM107? I haven’t read much about that one, yet.
I do feel that the tlm107 is a better mic than the 103, generally speaking.
it has a more "modern" sound and will cut better through the mix than the 193/170/u89, while not being harsh.
it's not expensive, sounds pretty good and has the Neumann name.

Plus it has several polar patterns, that might come handy on some specific vocals (I'm thinking at the smoother response of the figure of 8 or even the hypercardioid pattern).

So I feel it might be a "better" (or more versatile) VO mic than the 193 (which I think it's a great mic and I like it quite a bit on several sources) at the same price, basically.

BUT, if you want to be in the VO arena (expanding your business), a U87 might be a better business choice. vintage or Ai, doesn't matter..(I do think a vintage one sounds a bit better, but for your purpose it's less important).

Not because it sounds better, but because it's the defacto standard (like it or not) for VO work, along with the 416 and maybe the re20 that you already have.
It's practical to have the exact same mic that was used in the other recording/postprod studio to finish up those vocals..right?

buy a used one, you'll get all your money back (hopefully already working with it) and probably even more when you're are going to sell it, in case that might happen.

Of course you could record good to GREAT VO stuff with almost any of the mics mentioned in this thread. But this is not the point, you already know that.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 11th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
I do feel that the tlm107 is a better mic than the 103, generally speaking.
it has a more "modern" sound and will cut better through the mix than the 193/170/u89, while not being harsh.
it's not expensive, sounds pretty good and has the Neumann name.

Plus it has several polar patterns, that might come handy on some specific vocals (I'm thinking at the smoother response of the figure of 8 or even the hypercardioid pattern).

So I feel it might be a "better" (or more versatile) VO mic than the 193 (which I think it's a great mic and I like it quite a bit on several sources) at the same price, basically.

BUT, if you want to be in the VO arena (expanding your business), a U87 might be a better business choice. vintage or Ai, doesn't matter..(I do think a vintage one sounds a bit better, but for your purpose it's less important).

Not because it sounds better, but because it's the defacto standard (like it or not) for VO work, along with the 416 and maybe the re20 that you already have.
It's practical to have the exact same mic that was used in the other recording/postprod studio to finish up those vocals..right?

buy a used one, you'll get all your money back (hopefully already working with it) and probably even more when you're are going to sell it, in case that might happen.

Of course you could record good to GREAT VO stuff with almost any of the mics mentioned in this thread. But this is not the point, you already know that.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Thanks, Cheu.
That a really good point!

Perhaps saving a bit more for a U87 really is the way to go. My 416 and RE20 should continue to help provide good money while I better learn what I’m doing and can afford the bigger purchase.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks, Cheu.
That a really good point!

Perhaps saving a bit more for a U87 really is the way to go. My 416 and RE20 should continue to help provide good money while I better learn what I’m doing and can afford the bigger purchase.
If you go for the 87 remember to also save for additional room treatment or a booth if you don’t already have one.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joestudio ➡️
If you go for the 87 remember to also save for additional room treatment or a booth if you don’t already have one.
That's paramount of course, but in the first post he stated that his room was well treated, and since he uses a ribbon and a 416 in there for VO work, my guess is that should at least be decent.

Cheu
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I cannot afford a U87 at this time.
Sell a kidney. I would not dream of starting a VO session without a U-87 on the stand, or at least in the mic locker ready to go at a moment's notice if the RE20 didn't work.

Admittedly that's because I'm the voice talent for >85% of the VO sessions I engineer, and a U-87 sounds really freakin' good on my voice. But it's still never let me down, so it's my go-to.

Seriously, shop used, hock your car and ride a bike for a few weeks, trade in your MKH416 towards a Neumann...
📝 Reply