Quantcast
What's the best combination of near field mixing monitors? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's the best combination of near field mixing monitors?
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Head

What's the best combination of near field mixing monitors?

Hey all
Whats the best combination of mixing monitors under 1500 USD ? I was thinking about a combination of KRK and Genelec .. Any other suggestions ?
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Addict

That's a tricky question to answer in large part because everybody has different requirements for their monitors. Some like Genelecs. Some don't. Some like Focals. Some don't. Some like Adams. Some don't. Personally, I've never particularly liked KRKs. Other people love them.

I have a pair of Yamaha HS50's with a sub. I have a pair of Mix Cubes. I have a pair of old Sony bookshelf speakers I use for my "real world" reference. The Yamahas with the sub are my full range reference. The Mix Cubes are where I do my mid-range work. I also have an old Magnavox boom box, an old Marantz receiver pushing a pair of Pioneer CS-53's in my living room, and my car that I use to check mixes for translation. I'm sure my mix environment would drive many people batty. Works for me, though.

The best advice I can give for buying monitors is to get in front of as many pairs of monitors as you can and start eliminating pairs you don't like. Then buy the monitors you do like.

When I bought my Yamaha setup, I actually bought the floor models. The guys at the store thought I was crazy.

They said, "okay, give us a minute to run to the back and grab a pair."

I said, "no, I'll take those [pointing at the display]."

They said, "Sir, it will only take a minute and you'll have a brand new pair in the box."

I said, "Yeah, but I already know how THESE [pointing at the display] sound."
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Addict

Oh. Take your own reference material. I like to go in with at least one record I like and have known for years, at least one song I mixed that I feel like I nailed and at least one song I mixed that I know has problems. The right pair of monitors for you will make the music you know sound like the music you know, will make the mix you nailed sound like it does anywhere else, and will highlight the problems in your problem mix.
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I would go with a set of really decent monitors, and a set of crappy speakers.
Such as:

Focal Alpha 65 (I got these a few days ago and can't stop raving about them), plus Logitech PC speakers. I use a particular model without a sub, which really expose problems in the mids (they are the Z200 and are pretty cheap).

I have the HS50s without a sub, and you will need something else to monitor the low end. There is no contest with the Focals- the detail on the Focals is amazing.

Going to a shop and listening to a load of monitors is great advice. Sadly they didn't have the Focals at my local shop, so I had to buy on trust.
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
References I like to take include:

The Beatles - Abbey Road
XTC - Apple Venus Volume 1
Blur - Parklife

You can tell that I don't mix hip hop ;-)
Old 29th December 2018
Deleted d44e7f2
I’m partial to the Dynaudio LYD plus Yamaha HS5
📝 Reply