Quantcast
RODE NT1 doesn't get Phantom Power - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RODE NT1 doesn't get Phantom Power
Old 28th December 2018
Here for the gear

RODE NT1 doesn't get Phantom Power

I had been using a Presonus starter studio kit that came with an Audiobox USB interface, XLR balanced cable, an M7 Presonus microphone and a pair of headphones. I've since been able to get my investment back and make a good amount of cash, so I decided to upgrade to the NT1KIT. It arrived a couple weeks ago, and everything seemed to be just fine. Took off the M7, connected the NT1 to the XLR and then to the interface, and voila, all was well.

Suddenly, last morning this microphone was simply not working anymore. It doesn't get phantom power when I turn it on, it only works when I connect it to the second XLR plug on the interface and turn the gain all the way up, and even then it's really quiet and there's a loud hissing in the background. I tried connecting the M7 and there was absolutely no issues.

I decided to go to the local music shop to get some advice. Plugged it into a mixer there, gave it phantom power, it worked for like 10 seconds before the sound started slowly dying out. I went around town doing some more errands and when I came back and plugged it back in, magically, it worked. And it worked all day; until night time, where it decided not to again. The sound either comes and goes, or doesn't appear at all, or is there as if there was no problem. I don't know what the issue could be. I'm tempted to ask for a refund but I bought it on amazon and I bet it's gonna be a huge hassle. I want to believe there's an incompatibility issue between the interface or the cable and the mic; but I really don't think so after going to the music shop. Please help.
Old 28th December 2018
Have you been using the same mic cable for all these scenarios, including trying it at the store? if yes, its prob your cable. If not, the mic is bad and needs to be returned.
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If the mic (the capsule specifically) may have been exposed to a damp/humid environment if may not work and/or it may output noise such as hiss or a wind like sound. If you think this may be the case, place the mic in a plastic ziplock bag with some desiccant packs overnight or some place warm and dry, but not excessively hot (don't use a hair dryer!!)
📝 Reply