The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Viking Mics on ebay
Old 30th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I agree that EQ can fix things with modern cheap mics.
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
WOW, its punchy on my laptop.. very useable ... I need to listen in the studio, but seems worth the price.. can we see the guts pls?
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostallion ➑️
OK this is what everyone wants then. this is the voiceover raw right off the mic/track with all plugins (EQ, compressor, etc) bypassed. I had him eat the mic with his announcer voice so I'm not sure you will be able to hear what you want. This mic is very low self noise (i have no specs at all) and does lend itself well to processing. Not all mics are full bodied enough to get a good processed sound, actually in a singing vocal situation I could see it not needing much at all, which is the trademark of a good mic. I am just happy it is so inexpensive and it is purrty too! I am still getting the hang of how you do things here so just clue me in as I need it.
I appreciate hearing both the produced and raw tracks. It seems a little sibilant in both, but not terrible. I looks like a Copperhead, which I think is a plus.
Old 31st March 2021
Here for the gear

I should have specified distance rather than "eating". He was 3-4 inches away with a pop filter, that is my definition of eating, normally I keep the singer at least 10 inches to let the sound develop (a bit more open sound) and reduce mouth sounds before the mic hears it. When I mix live concerts they always swallow the mic and I can't control that but in the studio you can use the pop filter to control the position.
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostallion ➑️
I should have specified distance rather than "eating". He was 3-4 inches away with a pop filter, that is my definition of eating, normally I keep the singer at least 10 inches to let the sound develop (a bit more open sound) and reduce mouth sounds before the mic hears it. When I mix live concerts they always swallow the mic and I can't control that but in the studio you can use the pop filter to control the position.
Appreciate you coming back and posting clips. You are doing a fine job and the mic really did lend itself to the post production you did it with. You are going to find some guys are a little snarky here every now and again but this site is for everyone at any level of experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Pat
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for posting the clean clip man ! Mic didn't sound too bad, good v.o. performance, post production on original clip was spot on. Surprisingly useable mic, insane for the prices on ebay. Probably good contenders for upgrades as well if thats your idea of a good time. Digging the copperhead look too.
Old 3rd April 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
LOL...I pulled the trigger on the 87! ...fk it ...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Attached Thumbnails
Viking Mics on ebay-screen-shot-2021-04-01-10.20.06-am.jpg   Viking Mics on ebay-screen-shot-2021-04-02-9.10.59-pm.jpg   Viking Mics on ebay-screen-shot-2021-04-02-9.10.49-pm.jpg   Viking Mics on ebay-screen-shot-2021-04-02-9.10.35-pm.jpg  
Old 3rd April 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have the same 87 coming in

Matti
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Nice one guys, let us know what you think
Old 3rd April 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Update, just got a notification mine is collectable now. Will go and get it tomorrow

Matti
Old 3rd April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's a good-looking mic! If the actual circuits are as clean as the photos, and the components are half decent... very interesting.
Old 3rd April 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The quality of the transformer interests me most atm. Lets see or hear tomorrow ...

Matti
Old 4th April 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ok the mic is here. Haven't tested yet but it seems nice. Sizewise it is like an U89. Opened it is just as pictured above.

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
Viking Mics on ebay-20210404_134313.jpg  
Old 4th April 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I measured the mics in my previous pic. So the " Manley " is slightly brighter and the " U 87 " is slightly more even. -As they should
This is not a pro measurement but gives an impression of the high frequencies behavior - I stress the word IMPRESSION
Violet is the " U87 "
DonΒ΄t look at anything under 2KHz as they are not representative...

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
Viking Mics on ebay-unpro-measurement.-violey-u87-ish-one.jpg  

Last edited by Matti; 4th April 2021 at 05:06 PM..
Old 4th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I know you stress that the graph is simply an impression but IMO that graph looks reasonably flat from 2 kHz - 10 kHz compared to the 1 kHz point. Is it possible for you to press a button and have the program show 5 dB increments rather than 50 ?

Last edited by haysonics; 4th April 2021 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: edited language to improve communication
Old 4th April 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
No! anything else?
I did that for my own information how to plaa plaa
And stupid as I am show it to you...
And you insult me, I feel like that

Cheers

Matti

P.S. A misunderstanding from my part

Last edited by Matti; 4 weeks ago at 12:30 AM..
Old 4th April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No insult intended. I have edited my previous post to tidy up my language. I think the graph looks closer to a U89 rather than U87.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The mic has nothing to do with an U89, wrong type of a capsule for starters.
But it is of the same size, abouts..
I have been asking a good vocalist to come by to sing a verse for me but no timetables in this situation

Matti
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looking forward to hearing a sample to ascertain if it has an upper mid-range rise.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonics ➑️
Looking forward to hearing a sample to ascertain if it has an upper mid-range rise.
i will receive mine on tuesday, and will post clips shortly after
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Curious to hear your impressions

Matti
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti ➑️
Curious to hear your impressions

Matti
I am still waiting

frekin USPS is a joke now..

it was in my city on wednesday... then it went to another city an hour away... now its back in the city today ... so ..hopefully they deliver it by tomorrow ..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I got mine from US in some 2 weeks but the capsule I ordered from here in Europe is not moving according the follow number...
Strange times

But I got my vaccine today and thus can wait some days more, not many though

Matti
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➑️
I am still waiting

frekin USPS is a joke now..

it was in my city on wednesday... then it went to another city an hour away... now its back in the city today ... so ..hopefully they deliver it by tomorrow ..
Give us a shout when you do get it, The testimonials and descriptions of the mics are extremely dodgey and they still haven't responded to any of my questions in months asking whether they were just straight up rebadging Shuaiyin OEM mics and absorbing the price delta, though the cheaper mics they sell are quite obviously your standard 'BM800' type electret ****ter with an upgraded capsule I would be pleasantly surprised to hear back if the mics truly are decent.

My studio swears by Groove Tubes, ADK, Aston, 3U, OPR and your other standard cheap(er) boutique offerings, if these things can stand up to those others I have an accountant to disappoint !!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth ➑️
Give us a shout when you do get it, The testimonials and descriptions of the mics are extremely dodgey and they still haven't responded to any of my questions in months asking whether they were just straight up rebadging Shuaiyin OEM mics and absorbing the price delta, though the cheaper mics they sell are quite obviously your standard 'BM800' type electret ****ter with an upgraded capsule I would be pleasantly surprised to hear back if the mics truly are decent.

My studio swears by Groove Tubes, ADK, Aston, 3U, OPR and your other standard cheap(er) boutique offerings, if these things can stand up to those others I have an accountant to disappoint !!
Im still waiting.. frekin ridiculous ... USPS is a joke
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
still waiting! ..but they say its being delivered tomorrow ..so we shal see...

sooo ... I decided to grab another one ...lol .. so I just bought the manley (looking)copy ..lets see how long it will take !
Attached Thumbnails
Viking Mics on ebay-screen-shot-2021-04-14-5.40.44-pm.png   Viking Mics on ebay-screen-shot-2021-04-14-5.40.38-pm.png   Viking Mics on ebay-screen-shot-2021-04-14-5.40.29-pm.jpg   Viking Mics on ebay-screen-shot-2021-04-14-5.40.11-pm.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Heh, then we have the same pair.

Matti
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➑️
still waiting! ..but they say its being delivered tomorrow ..so we shal see...

sooo ... I decided to grab another one ...lol .. so I just bought the manley (looking)copy ..lets see how long it will take !
Man, how I wish Kidvyybes was with us to analyse that for us, the body looks well designed, I know nothing about electrical engineering and mic design so I'll leave that for someone else but the capsule looks like the generic chinese ones I've seen. Can't say I recognise the circuit.

If these actually sound good I am going to grab a load of them, unfortunate that they don't respond to any messages asking for clarification on the design or sound signature.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdasloth ➑️
Man, how I wish Kidvyybes was with us to analyse that for us, the body looks well designed, I know nothing about electrical engineering and mic design so I'll leave that for someone else but the capsule looks like the generic chinese ones I've seen. Can't say I recognise the circuit.

If these actually sound good I am going to grab a load of them, unfortunate that they don't respond to any messages asking for clarification on the design or sound signature.
my thoughts exactly!

well soon I will post up some clips
πŸ“ Reply