The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FMR PBC-6a still a good comp?
Old 5th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FMR PBC-6a still a good comp?

Anyone still using the FMR PBC-6a??? I’m trying to get back into recording and I’ve always been interested in this comp but don’t know if it still holds up??? Any insight would b mucho appreciated. Thanks!
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yes! I use mine all the time. Very versatile little unit!
Old 6th December 2018
Jtt
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Great then; great now.
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
THick n juicy - I have mine paired with a pre73 (fully modded) and it is my warmest channel - a lot of character in a great way
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I agree, the PCA-6a is one heck of a mono compressor - fantastic on vocals and bass guitar. Punches well above its price point and is easy to dial in. One of the best hardware comps value-wise.
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn guys thanks for the replies, Im gonna have to start saving for one.
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
BTW you can chain 2 of them. If you want to hear a track that had them all over it look/listen to the video on the FMR website. Thats thu a UA 610 on all of the tracks except drums.....You can also get a clean sound out of it, and being a limiting amp really does something unique.....

I find it funny that GS doesn't talk about FMR more. It's mostly about Warm, or Stam or something else low end boutique. FMR was kinda the original low cost alternative with Art and Meek, back when. Their units are underrated and the PBC6a was considered along the lines of a Distressor with fewer options when it came out.....Unfortunately the little boxes look like something you'd see in a hospitals X-ray dept, but man do they sound good and are built like tanks!
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
True - not the hype of the moment, partially due to everything being sold as clones instead of rewarding innovative affordable products like FMR provides. And for the look you can always get the FunkLogic Rack if you wanna fancy them up (RNP & RNC in the FRT-8373 I have)

of course the PBC-6A looks pretty good straight up in the rack with my other half-units as well
Attached Thumbnails
FMR PBC-6a still a good comp?-img_0896.jpg   FMR PBC-6a still a good comp?-img_0895.jpg   FMR PBC-6a still a good comp?-img_0894.jpg   FMR PBC-6a still a good comp?-img_0899-1-2.jpg   FMR PBC-6a still a good comp?-img_0897-1-2.jpg  

Old 6th December 2018
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah the PBC6a is kinda cute with the yellow and black layout especially if you like the Steelers!........

I wonder if they still make the rack kits with the faceplates? All in all amazing units and I use mine on everything..... Basic songwriter here making demos, but with a UA610, there's a lot of tone from big sheen, to funky grit.........
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ya, you can buy them at front end audio (there are a few different version depending on what units you want to include) - https://www.frontendaudio.com/search...ection=product
📝 Reply