The Oktava Microphone Thread!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Can't beat it.
Chris
Or, beat it all you want?
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
*YES!* I sold my MK-101 (cardioid), so I can go ahead and order a matched pair instead, and/or that MKL-2500. I really wish I'd been smarter and bought my 2nd pair of MK-102 capsules as a matched pair of microphones from Oktava Shop, instead of just the capsules from a retailer in Australia. Then I would have got a 2nd MK-101 cardioid capsule, obviously not matched to the one I've got, and had 2 more pre-amps plus the 2nd set of MK-102 capsules, and a pair of 101's (un-matched) for a much lower price. But it's fine, I end up paying more but my two 101's will now be matched.

The price for MK-101 MSP is relatively high for Oktava 100-series but still good. I considered a pair of MK-319's and I know I would have liked them, but for the amount I'll use them it makes more sense to get 2 101 capsules and a pair of pre-amps etc instead. I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't sold the single 101. Which appears to be a good one, from my limited testing and its FR graph, very flat. All the late-production Oktava equipment I've bought has been good quality with none of the problems I've heard of with older mics, and all seem to be low noise with an excellent measured FR. Some have testing stickers for 2022, the 101 I sold from March. The MK-105 MSP was December 2021. I haven't used them much yet but they've sounded good when I've tried them.

I could get an MKL-2500 about 8% cheaper from Thomann now but since I want to order the 101's I might as well only pay for shipping once. I don't mind giving O. Shop a sale either. This will complete the collection of Oktava condensers I wanted, and it will be a fairly comprehensive set. As I've said I decided to get them now as it's possible the price would only rise as supplies run out. I wish I could audition the Mini Tube Pre-Amp, but without I don't think I want to risk it. I have heard 2500 recordings and I know I like them. The 33mm capsule of the MKL-2500 is only available with that mic AFAIK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh ➡️
I've been thinking I'd love to try the MKL-5000 capsule in a DIY project. I might look into buying a couple replacement capsules and putting them into a FET mic. They look a lot more modern sounding than the MK-220 capsules though. Advertised response looks super scooped so it might not be for me, I don't even like the MK-105 much. The MKL-5000 cardioid pattern should be similar to the MKL-2500, but for whatever reason has a broad 4 dB boost instead of the 2 dB boost on the 2500
I know you wrote this a long time ago but I was wondering, what is it about the 105's you don't like so much? From the context it sounds like it's because you find them scooped, is that so? And is that because with the top end boost it leaves the mids seeming low?
I've got the 105 MSP and not used them for much yet, I'm just interested to know what to expect when I do. TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieW ➡️
I know you wrote this a long time ago but I was wondering, what is it about the 105's you don't like so much? From the context it sounds like it's because you find them scooped, is that so? And is that because with the top end boost it leaves the mids seeming low?
I've got the 105 MSP and not used them for much yet, I'm just interested to know what to expect when I do. TIA
I find the MK-105 quite bright sounding. I feel like it's supposed to be another "poor man's C414" like the CAD M179, but it's only cardioid. I think the CAD is a better buy at half the price. Neither really have that scooped AKG sound though. I've also tried the Lewitt mics which I also think aren't great. A lot of these K67 capsules being used in these bright "AKG-esque" mics are closer to a 5 or 6 dB boost than 4 dB. FWIW I'm sure the build quality of the MK105 is great, but I'd prefer multiple partners in a mic voiced like that, which the Lewitt Lct441 and CAD M179 have, and you could get a pair of M179s for $400. Now, if the MK105 had multiple patterns I'd probably like it more, but I find it's really bright on the voice. For somebody like me who prefers a more natural sound it's not the best. Sparkly is a good way to describe it. I think it sounds good on instruments but less so on the voice, definitely has a noticeable high end sheen. I notice this less with the CADs and something like an AT4050. I don't want to use the words veiled or grainy but it definitely isn't a smooth brightness. Some people remove the inner mesh to make it sound more open, but that makes it less shielded and I think then it starts sounding sibilant.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 5 days ago at 07:05 PM..
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
In that case I'm glad I got those instead of actual modern C414's, for that money I'd rather get that sound cheaper. They do have a place, how much I end up using them remains to be seen. I would like to place an order with O Shop but the stuff I want has gone up in price substantially (40%), plus the AUD has been hit hard recently against the Euro and USD
EDIT yesterday I was excited to see M201's available again, by today the whole lot sold out
Lives for gear

24 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I had nice results with MK-102's on the trumpet section of a big band concert last night. 4ish feet out and above, basically at the back of the trombone section chairs.
Old 2 days ago
@ kludgeaudio Have you used the Audix SCX1-HC? I see those recommended a lot as a "poor man's Schoeps" now but I find them muffled sounding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieW ➡️
In that case I'm glad I got those instead of actual modern C414's, for that money I'd rather get that sound cheaper. They do have a place, how much I end up using them remains to be seen. I would like to place an order with O Shop but the stuff I want has gone up in price substantially (40%), plus the AUD has been hit hard recently against the Euro and USD
EDIT yesterday I was excited to see M201's available again, by today the whole lot sold out
Used C414 XL mics are about $500 used, so not much of a difference. The only reason I like the CADs is I can get 3 or 4 of them for the price of a modern C414.
My pair of 105s worked out to the equivalent of about $500 US new, I'm happy enough with the price. I did own a pair of c414 XLS, I regret selling them no matter if they are not like older 414's, they are still a quality microphone. It's just a matter of matching them to the application. But I wouldn't buy them again, now I would probably get a pair of OC818. In fact I probably will if and when the recording setup starts making money
CAD mics have always been good value, thanks for the tip on that model. I would like to get that pair of MK-101's but I hadn't realised the price had risen so dramatically. I can make another purchase this week, I'm trying to decide, 101's or an RE20 and one or two other cheaper dynamics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr ➡️
I had nice results with MK-102's on the trumpet section of a big band concert last night. 4ish feet out and above, basically at the back of the trombone section chairs.
They're great mics and I like that end-address design, I don't know of another one like it. They are by far my favourite overheads for rock now. I really wish I'd been paying attention and bought a matched pair from Oktava shop instead of just a pair of capsules locally; the 2 mics cost only a little more than the capsules and I would have had 2 more pre-amps and wouldn't now be trying to find the money for 101's after the big price increase
📝 Reply