The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Oktava Microphone Thread!
Old 21st May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieW ➡️
Yes the stands look OK but that price is ridiculous. I also wouldn't trust that small diameter base no matter how heavy, I'd prefer the K&M with tripod feet. But that one at least can extend to over 5m.

Those clips do look useful, what I would wish for is something like that but that allows adjustable distance between the mics, so they don't have to both be SDC's.
I would love to try eg. MK-101-8 with MK-102 or 103 for mid-side but they won't fit in the SM-MSR stereo mount. But there is other hardware around that could do it. Since I have about a million thread adapters that came with all the mics, mounts and bars I've bought recently, I thought I could use those to connect other shockmounts. It might be possible to join something like the Oktava SM-20 or Rycote InVision mounts above and below a K&M flat metal stereo bar. I'd put thread adapters in each mount's base then cut off a piece of 3/8" threaded rod and join them through the slot in the stereo bar, then the mounting point in the middle of the bar could attach to a stand. Those SM-20's are a bit basic and not too attractive but they're well made and cheap, like most Oktava hardware. I'd like to get a couple of SMP-012 mounts with pop filter for MK-102's, since they make nice vocal mics

It really is a bummer about the Radial Decoder, if I can find one still in stock somewhere I'll get it.
EDIT I checked eBay etc for one, no luck but I did find this:
https://reverb.com/au/item/53595681-...der-not-tested
As far as I remember Schoeps were also making a decoder. But that was so long long time ago, I do not know if they still do.

5 meters high with that base? That is insane. And to depend only on the counter weight to balance the stand is really like a serious accident waiting to happen.
Imagine falling on the head of the conductor, it could easily ruin your mics.
How many sandbags do you have to carry extra to make that stable?
Is that worth it?
I saw the drum tech for Queens Of The Stone Age fix the drum kit to the stage with tec screws and an electric screwdriver. Unless I could do the same with this stand I wouldn't consider extending it like that.
The solution I like would be to suspend some kind of bar from thin wires and fit the mics to that but that can only happen if there is a lighting truss on chain motors or similar and you have access to it at setup time. No ancient church is going to let you drill holes in the ceiling to hang wires
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I saw the drum tech for Queens Of The Stone Age fix the drum kit to the stage with tec screws and an electric screwdriver. Unless I could do the same with this stand I wouldn't consider extending it like that.
The solution I like would be to suspend some kind of bar from thin wires and fit the mics to that but that can only happen if there is a lighting truss on chain motors or similar and you have access to it at setup time. No ancient church is going to let you drill holes in the ceiling to hang wires
If you have to go up to 5 meters i think the simpler solution would be to get the K&M stand tripod that goes up to 4 meters and add an extension.
if you get the microphone version there are up to 1 meter extensions with male and female 3/6-16 threads at each end.
If you get the lighting version of the stand that has M10 thread in it you could add a tube extension. That would be also the best cause from 30mm of the tube of the stand you stay the same size while for the mic version the last meter extension would be 20mm.
Also the lighting version is a bit more solid and a bit heavier.
But i would not be surpised if there are other lighting stands that go up to 5 meters without extensions . Then you just need a adapter to get the mic thread.
That way at least you dont need to carry sandbags
Old 22nd May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggelos ➡️
If you have to go up to 5 meters i think the simpler solution would be to get the K&M stand tripod that goes up to 4 meters and add an extension.
if you get the microphone version there are up to 1 meter extensions with male and female 3/6-16 threads at each end.
If you get the lighting version of the stand that has M10 thread in it you could add a tube extension. That would be also the best cause from 30mm of the tube of the stand you stay the same size while for the mic version the last meter extension would be 20mm.
Also the lighting version is a bit more solid and a bit heavier.
But i would not be surpised if there are other lighting stands that go up to 5 meters without extensions . Then you just need a adapter to get the mic thread.
That way at least you dont need to carry sandbags
Quote:
I actually have a better solution, one that I'm going to implement to my K&M lighting stand.
Since I also need a boom that is strong and can do justice to the tripod, I'm going to replace the K&M weak 15mm boom with a very strong one of 35mm by using those parts.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/manfrott...ivot_clamp.htm

https://www.thomann.de/intl/km_24623_bl.htm

That way I don't need extensions to go up to 6 meters and I also have a great boom for normal use.. At the end of the boom I could mount a lighting bar for different mic arrays or an M10 to 3/8 adapter for a single mic.
Edit :
That boom is wrong and would not fit the Manfrotto 123 Super Boom Pivot Clamp.
I have to find something similar , but i still like the idea
Quote:
Edit :
That boom is wrong and would not fit the Manfrotto 123 Super Boom Pivot Clamp.
I have to find something similar , but i still like the idea
You are on the right track though, I like the way you are thinking. I had no idea about those products. What about the type of boom for TV and film location recording? Some of those might be made of light and stiff material like carbon fibre or aluminium alloy, and if you could make one fit into that Manfrotto fitting then you would have an excellent system. The good stuff is always expensive but it sounds to me like you want to solve this problem the right way, once and for all time, so it might be worth the expense.

How do you feel about making stuff? You could find some tube of the right size and material and another one to fit inside it, and maybe weld on the fittings you need. I enjoy that work though I don't have a welder, you could probably find someone who does to do it for a case of beer etc. I understand not everyone wants to do that type of thing but I would enjoy making something like a Jecklin disc and using the one I made. In fact I bought the parts to do just that. My problem is wasting time and not completing the plans I make.

I sold some guitar leads, the first since I bought this set of components and decided to start again. I opened another bank account and any of my money I want to use for that, and any income it makes, will go through that account so I can keep it separate from my personal finances. I want to avoid spending any cables income on living expenses, but if I need it to buy audio gear then OK. In fact, that's what it's for, I want the cables I sell to buy expensive multi-cores, transformer mic splitters, multi-pin systems and so on. When there is income from the mobile recording service I'll do the same. I see the business as a hobby that helps pay for itself and gets me access to the equipment I enjoy so much. I really loved RC planes too and especially the little multi-cylinder engines, I think the radial engines are beautiful and I still would love one in a big scale WW2 fighter, but there's no way I know to get an income from that without starting a hobby store. So audio it is
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes the stands look OK but that price is ridiculous. I also wouldn't trust that small diameter base no matter how heavy, I'd prefer the K&M with tripod feet. But that one at least can extend to over 5m.
The Latch Lakes have become industry standards in the way that the old K&Ms used to be before they cheaped out on materials. They are made of decent steel, not Chinese butter metal, and the design is good. The base is very heavy but if you're worried about that you can sandbag it. They are much taller and more stable than the tripod K&Ms.

If you need to extend very high and don't need the boom, consider the Manfrotto lighting stands which have become almost standard for remote recording work these days. They are very light and require sandbagging with any heavy mike load.

Next step up from that are Avenger crank-up stands and Starbird booms and they are not cheap by any means.
--scott
Thanks Scott for sharing your experience. I have only seen the photos and the idea makes me nervous, but if you have used them successfully then I feel better about it. I'll look into that lighting stand too, it sounds like there are some possibilities around
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Scott for sharing your experience. I have only seen the photos and the idea makes me nervous, but if you have used them successfully then I feel better about it. I'll look into that lighting stand too, it sounds like there are some possibilities around
Here is what the older Manfrotto Highboy is like:
http://www.panix.com/~kludge/concert/16050009.JPG

I don't have it up very far in this photo so it's not sandbagged at all.
--scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio ➡️
Here is what the older Manfrotto Highboy is like:
http://www.panix.com/~kludge/concert/16050009.JPG

I don't have it up very far in this photo so it's not sandbagged at all.
--scott
Thanks, right yes I know that type of lighting stand, I've set plenty up. Not necessarily that brand but the type of thing. I like the idea of adapting one to take a mic boom. I would think with a heavy load on the boom the best thing to do would be use the counterweight to get a proper balance, that way you rely less on sandbagging the base.
That looks like the application I'm going for anyway
It looks a bit like the church where I was in the choir, like a lot of old traditional Anglican churches they always remind me of a British court room of 150 years ago
Old 22nd May 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
In general Latch Lake is of better construction and better materials but also at least double the price of K&M.
K&M are not made in China but in Germany. I do not know where they get their steel but for sure it is not of inferior quality like some chinese stands.
In general K&M makes cheap stands that are better than the equivalent chinese.
Still they have some design faults. But they do have 5 years guaranty and 10 years in parts.
This specific lighting tripod is of high quality and can go up to 4 meters while Latch lake can go up to 3 meter plus 3 more with the boom arm vertically extended.The Latch lake is heavier with a lower center of mass than K&M but with a diameter of base less than 1/3 of the K&M.
As they are, the K&M can withstand much higher tip point force and critical tip angle than Latch Lake.
If you add additional weight to the K&M to make it equal to the Latch Lake weight then it becomes even more stable.
You could add more weight to the base of latch lake but you can not increase the size of its base, something that is more important.
So for stability when you want to go few meters high the K&M is the clear winner.
The big advantage of Latch Lake is its small footprint when space is important plus it has a far superior boom arm than anything K&M has ever made
I once saw someone use a similar looking stand to the Latch Lake, or maybe a real one, to place some room mics high up in a concert hall where I was working and he brought 2 extra braces for the base. They looked home made, they clamped on with standard lighting truss clamps bolted to steel bars with feet at the end. I didn't get much time to look at it and see the details but it was obviously to add extra stability. It's not a bad idea. There are all sorts of ways I can think of to add stability to a stand like that, I've always preferred tripod bases. it would be easy enough to design and make one that folds out and has supports for the round base of a stand like the Latch Lake.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I once saw someone use a similar looking stand to the Latch Lake, or maybe a real one, to place some room mics high up in a concert hall where I was working and he brought 2 extra braces for the base. They looked home made, they clamped on with standard lighting truss clamps bolted to steel bars with feet at the end. I didn't get much time to look at it and see the details but it was obviously to add extra stability. It's not a bad idea. There are all sorts of ways I can think of to add stability to a stand like that, I've always preferred tripod bases. it would be easy enough to design and make one that folds out and has supports for the round base of a stand like the Latch Lake.
Yes if you are into diy and have the right tools you can do easily lots of those metal cosntructions at a fraction of the cost. And it is also lots of fun to make your own stuff. plus i also like the home made look but in the studio a stand like latch lake looks really pro.
Quote:
Yes if you are into diy and have the right tools you can do easily lots of those metal cosntructions at a fraction of the cost. And it is also lots of fun to make your own stuff. plus i also like the home made look but in the studio a stand like latch lake looks really pro.
A lot of clients won't want to see something that obviously came out of a garage though, it doesn't matter if they've never seen it before but the presentation and function has to be professional. If they're paying for a service it has to have no obvious safety hazards and a neat appearance. It can't look like it's not finished either!
I've always enjoyed making things but I learned early on, only let them see what you consider finished. First impressions count
I read in another thread about the MKL-2500 that it's basically the MK-319 with a valve (oh very well... "tube" then). Is the valve in the power supply box only, or built into the mic body? I think in the mic because it has that multi-pin cable, and that's to power the valve as well as to pass audio and phantom to the capsule, is that true?

But if not, does that mean that the Oktava valve pre-amp for the MK-012 series, with an MK-101 capsule on it would be approximately the same thing? Because AFAIK the 319 and 101 share the same capsule, and if the valve is in the PSU then it'd be a pretty similar system. Even if it's not like that then I wonder just how different that valve pre/PSU with 101 capsule would sound to an MKL-2500. I wouldn't expect them to be the same, I'm just wondering how much you'd notice. I guess it's too much to expect that anyone's actually been able to compare them.

I heard there were some fake MKL-2500's going around at one point, does anyone have any information on that? They (2500's) sometimes come up on the used market but I don't want the Chinese copy, is there a way to check on that? I've seen photos of some where the back of the PSU is printed with A&M MacKay Audio UK, I wondered if that was anything like the notorious Guitar Centre arrangement where they were selling Chinese-made copies (though I gather these were in fact "official" reproductions commissioned for manufacture in China, not that I'd want them). Were the Chinese ones made at a particular time between certain years maybe?
Old 22nd May 2022
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Chinese didn’t use flat head screws and had a different power supply. The tube is in the mic body so I trashed mine when I dropped the mic. Replacement is a pain since the wires are soldered to the tube pins. No socket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis ➡️
The Chinese didn’t use flat head screws and had a different power supply. The tube is in the mic body so I trashed mine when I dropped the mic. Replacement is a pain since the wires are soldered to the tube pins. No socket.
The screws are the best way to tell a fake Oktava. AFAIK every Chinese Oktava has black Phillips head screws. Though some modders also used them (I believe Joly did).
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh ➡️
The screws are the best way to tell a fake Oktava. AFAIK every Chinese Oktava has black Phillips head screws. Though some modders also used them (I believe Joly did).
FWIW my mod didn’t...
Thanks for the replies and info guys, I'll have a good look around.
Old 23rd May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
In general Latch Lake is of better construction and better materials but also at least double the price of K&M.
K&M are not made in China but in Germany. I do not know where they get their steel but for sure it is not of inferior quality like some chinese stands.
In general K&M makes cheap stands that are better than the equivalent chinese.
All this may be true, but I have some K&M stands that I bought in the early eighties and they are so much better than the current K&M stands it's not even funny. Many of the new K&M stands have rolled threads! Sheesh.
--scott
Old 23rd May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio ➡️
All this may be true, but I have some K&M stands that I bought in the early eighties and they are so much better than the current K&M stands it's not even funny. Many of the new K&M stands have rolled threads! Sheesh.
--scott
Yes I know the ones you mean and there is no comparison with what they make now.
This is one of the design flows among many.
That is why I stopped using them and I found Chinese alternatives that are better and cheaper.
Gravity also makes better cheap stands.
But that lighting stand I'm talking about is an exception. Really good design and good construction/materials, it makes you wonder.
Later they offered a boom arm for it with an adapter but it was rather bad ( the one i want to replace). Then they modified the tripod (for the worse) and offered it together with the arm as a complete mic stand or as a separate purchase.
Maybe they have different design departments for mic and lighting stands, who knows.
Old 24th May 2022 | Show parent
While we're talking about stands (for our Oktava mics!), out of curiosity is the standard thread for mic holders in Europe the 3/8"-16 type or the larger 5/8" (what is the thread type and pitch for this, BTW?)

I bought a FaderPort to use with Reaper and got a discount, which I ended up spending on a 2nd Rode stereo bar. I like it except that it has 3/8" threads for mic holders and everybody uses 5/8" here, meaning I have ot use thread adapters. Luckily every mic, mic clip, shock mount, stereo bar etc has come with a thread adapter for every attachment point so I've now got, um, more than I care to count. These just take extra time to set up and are something else to lose or forget to bring with you
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
While we're talking about stands (for our Oktava mics!), out of curiosity is the standard thread for mic holders in Europe the 3/8"-16 type or the larger 5/8" (what is the thread type and pitch for this, BTW?)

I bought a FaderPort to use with Reaper and got a discount, which I ended up spending on a 2nd Rode stereo bar. I like it except that it has 3/8" threads for mic holders and everybody uses 5/8" here, meaning I have ot use thread adapters. Luckily every mic, mic clip, shock mount, stereo bar etc has come with a thread adapter for every attachment point so I've now got, um, more than I care to count. These just take extra time to set up and are something else to lose or forget to bring with you
Yes, in Europe they use the same two, the 3/8-16 and 5/8-27. Not sure about the type of the 5/8 but the pitch is 27. I think it is called some name of some old british dude
Quote:
Yes, in Europe they use the same two, the 3/8-16 and 5/8-27. Not sure about the type of the 5/8 but the pitch is 27. I think it is called some name of some old british dude
Oh is that Whitworth? It still comes up from time to time and it's tricky to get thread cutting tools for it. He made quite an impact on manufacturing, interesting for engineering geeks anyway.
I asked because I think the smaller type is called the Euro standard or something. I really wish the world would settle on one or the other, which one I don't care, just don't make us have to use adapters. If anything the 5/8" one does seem to be the "standard", sometimes certain products appear with only the smaller size but not often.
Old 28th May 2022 | Show parent
No matter what overheads I try or how I set them up, there's nothing I like as much as a pair of MK-102's in X-Y on a single stand. Even the same 102's in the traditional A-B config on 2 stands is not able to match it. I think I would like an MK-101-8 and MK-012 cardioid in mid-side, if I set up a mid-side matrix, but whether I'd prefer it to the 102's I don't know. Tonight I'll get to mix one of my favourite drummers and I'll try the mid-side setup and record it, using the console to set up the matrix (I'll use a TRS patch lead from the direct out of one channel to the line input of the next, and there is a phase switch). I recorded MS overheads for a band on Wednesday but used the matrix in the Zoom to decode, so I wasn't able to use it live. I wish I could get a Radial Decoder for MS in a live setting but they've been out of production for some time

That's assuming I haven't got COVID, it's everywhere in Perth now and I was feeling rotten last night. Waiting for the results of a test
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No matter what overheads I try or how I set them up, there's nothing I like as much as a pair of MK-102's in X-Y on a single stand. Even the same 102's in the traditional A-B config on 2 stands is not able to match it. I think I would like an MK-101-8 and MK-012 cardioid in mid-side, if I set up a mid-side matrix, but whether I'd prefer it to the 102's I don't know. Tonight I'll get to mix one of my favourite drummers and I'll try the mid-side setup and record it, using the console to set up the matrix (I'll use a TRS patch lead from the direct out of one channel to the line input of the next, and there is a phase switch). I recorded MS overheads for a band on Wednesday but used the matrix in the Zoom to decode, so I wasn't able to use it live. I wish I could get a Radial Decoder for MS in a live setting but they've been out of production for some time

That's assuming I haven't got COVID, it's everywhere in Perth now and I was feeling rotten last night. Waiting for the results of a test
I really hope it is only a cold and not a covid.
Home remedies include aspirin, vitamins C and D and zinc.
What is very important is a university research finding that proves that rinsing the nose with salt water (in ayurveda is called neti) and washing the mouth with hydrogen peroxide of 1.5% solution for 30 seconds, can remove up to 20% of the covid.
Get good rest and get well soon.
Thanks Aggelos, I hadn't heard that advice yet, because I've been so careful about avoiding COVID and we simply didn't have it in Perth until this year. Now I think I had better learn to expect it. All the venues are having problems getting staff because they are all getting it. I guess all those people leaning over the bar and yelling their orders is a good way to pass it on.

I can't explain it but I feel fine today. I have maybe 100 rapid antigen tests here because I did a job handing them out at the train stations a few months ago. But I know a lot of people who test negative even 3 times with those and then positive with a PCR test. I had a test today, waiting for the result.

The pressure to work is huge, I get many calls asking Can you help us, our sound guy has COVID! Including about 10 minutes ago, and I am only working tonight to fill in for another guy with COVID. I'll work, and wear my best N95 mask and warn everybody just in case, but I still feel fine. Maybe just a short cold or flu. I had my flu shot 2 weeks ago, now there are more people going to hospital with influenza, because for 2.5 years practicing virus safety few people got it, and they don't have the same natural resistance. Now the masks have come off and the venues are at 100% capacity again, because they said we have passed the peak of COVID, and we are getting more cases of both viruses (viri?) than ever.

At least I get to record this drummer with my 102's. All this extra work filling in for sound guys with COVID, and because there are tours and concerts here again, I can afford some more Oktava. So I have decided to get an MKL-2500. Even if I don't hire it out, I have been auditioning for voice-over work and had some interest. That would be a nice mic for that job, and some day I will record singers and soloists with it, so long as they pass a COVID test first before spitting in my mic
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks Aggelos, I hadn't heard that advice yet, because I've been so careful about avoiding COVID and we simply didn't have it in Perth until this year. Now I think I had better learn to expect it. All the venues are having problems getting staff because they are all getting it. I guess all those people leaning over the bar and yelling their orders is a good way to pass it on.

I can't explain it but I feel fine today. I have maybe 100 rapid antigen tests here because I did a job handing them out at the train stations a few months ago. But I know a lot of people who test negative even 3 times with those and then positive with a PCR test. I had a test today, waiting for the result.

The pressure to work is huge, I get many calls asking Can you help us, our sound guy has COVID! Including about 10 minutes ago, and I am only working tonight to fill in for another guy with COVID. I'll work, and wear my best N95 mask and warn everybody just in case, but I still feel fine. Maybe just a short cold or flu. I had my flu shot 2 weeks ago, now there are more people going to hospital with influenza, because for 2.5 years practicing virus safety few people got it, and they don't have the same natural resistance. Now the masks have come off and the venues are at 100% capacity again, because they said we have passed the peak of COVID, and we are getting more cases of both viruses (viri?) than ever.

At least I get to record this drummer with my 102's. All this extra work filling in for sound guys with COVID, and because there are tours and concerts here again, I can afford some more Oktava. So I have decided to get an MKL-2500. Even if I don't hire it out, I have been auditioning for voice-over work and had some interest. That would be a nice mic for that job, and some day I will record singers and soloists with it, so long as they pass a COVID test first before spitting in my mic
It is great to have lots of work but if everyone gets it maybe it is better to stay low for some time or you will be part of that list unfortunately.
I forgot to say try to get lots of sun. This is an advice from Cristiano Ronaldo... : )
Quote:
It is great to have lots of work but if everyone gets it maybe it is better to stay low for some time or you will be part of that list unfortunately.
I forgot to say try to get lots of sun. This is an advice from Cristiano Ronaldo... : )
Many thanks
Yeah I thought I might just say I've got it whether I do or not after the weekend, just to get a week off. But remembering all the time to be careful what you wish for
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Many thanks
Yeah I thought I might just say I've got it whether I do or not after the weekend, just to get a week off. But remembering all the time to be careful what you wish for
True that. I had a week off just last week! Due to a hand injury...! But on the bright side, that forced my employer to fast-track an assistant for me and now I'm finally no longer stuck with 0 PTO and 60 hour workweeks.

I went ahead and got one more pair of mk-012's (did I say that already?) for a total of 6, and a total of 11 mk-012 amps, with 6 cardioid, 4 omni and 2 hc capsules. I also got 8 of those 012 shockmounts, before I knew I was getting more 012's...

And now three Tama vice grip stands, two ~~3.5m toothed-boom stands, and a 4m lightstand are on the way, with a couple of sm57's and a pair of ribbons. I'm done with mics for awhile... Time to get some work and sell some sample libraries and earn my money back with them. With around half of my hours gone (thank God) I can start much more aggressively pursuing the recording and scripting for my sample library, as well as actual performance recording work (which, not having done this work before, neither of these will see much income for a minimum of a few months)
📝 Reply