Quantcast
Klark Teknik 1176 vs. Warm Audio 1176? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klark Teknik 1176 vs. Warm Audio 1176?
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Klark Teknik 1176 vs. Warm Audio 1176?

I've read every thread I can find on these two units and still can't make up my mind. From what I'm reading, it seems the KT76 is closer to the UA1176 in terms of "sound", but perhaps has more issues i.e., noise, vu meters not workimg, etc., basically just cheap manufacturing.

Does anyone else have opinions on these two units? A big part of me just wants to "bite the bullet" and buy the real deal UA1176, but man it's hard to spend that kind of money, when apparently I could get "close" to UA sound for a fraction of the cost. I've read one comment that stated compared side by side to the Universal Audio, the KT76 was indistinguishable.

Thoughts?

Marc
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP ➡️
I've read every thread I can find on these two units and still can't make up my mind. From what I'm reading, it seems the KT76 is closer to the UA1176 in terms of "sound", but perhaps has more issues i.e., noise, vu meters not workimg, etc., basically just cheap manufacturing.

Does anyone else have opinions on these two units? A big part of me just wants to "bite the bullet" and buy the real deal UA1176, but man it's hard to spend that kind of money, when apparently I could get "close" to UA sound for a fraction of the cost. I've read one comment that stated compared side by side to the Universal Audio, the KT76 was indistinguishable.

Thoughts?

Marc
If you've read all the threads you may have read my thoughts already but I did some extensive blind AB'ing with another engineer and we found they were very close sonically. As in, on some sources I ran quick null tests to make sure I wasn't hearing the same audio.

The WA76 has a hair more weight in the low mids and is smoother in the high mids. You can pick it out on vocal esses pretty easily. The KT is a little leaner overall. But we're talking minor differences. The KT is also a little noisier.

Overall, I stuck with my WA76s. They're great units.

As to whether it's worth it to spring for the UA, for my money, the answer is a resounding 'no'. I've had many variants of 1176 here in my room, from original Urei's to modern clones like these or the Mohog. Frankly, they can all get the 1176 job done. I just prefer the tone of the WA76. When compressing vocals especially, the extra sonic weight and the not harsh esses are a big plus in my book.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I can’t comment on the KT, but the Warm doesn’t come close to a UREI or UA 1176. It’s not a bad piece per se, but it’s just not an 1176.

If you’ve used and love real 1176’s, any clone is going to be a letdown, including the not inexpensive Purple Audio MC77. But if you’ve never used the real deal, then you don’t have any way of knowing if the clone is close or not. If you want to save the money, it’s best to just treat it as its own thing and not compare it to something you don’t even know. What it should come down to is do you like how it sounds, and is it helpful in achieving the results you want for recording and mixing? If yes, then be happy and use it. If no, them return/sell it and find something that will. Either way, whether or not its “close” to a real 1176 is not relevant. For some folks, the clones will be just fine, for others not.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
And to needlessly complicate this even further... buying the Klark brand new and registering it within 90 days now comes with a TEN year warranty. Which is awesome.

Many of the smaller boutique companies end up being really cool if you approach them the right way with a problem. But still an official 10 year warranty stands out as impressive.

Ultimately I went 500-series and got a used Hairball Audio FET 500 1176 for a great price. Really nice component selection, including name-brand transformers, felt the value was very strong.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh yeah. I forgot that too. I’ve got a Hairball Rev A that I built. It’s a nice piece.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

my 2c

I've been using the 1176-KTs since they came out and most people who say they don't stack up to the real thing are pretty much correct - with one caveat - the 1176-KT is not meant to be a vintage sounding unit. Its a FET compressor in the style of a 1176 and it does that thing very well. In my own personal experience over the last 4 years using KT and Warm equipment, the KT stuff has outlasted the Warm units. I have 4 KT units and they are all going strong and are used every day. The Warm units I've used have had issues with build quality, meters or pots going out, power supply issues...Not everyone has had these issues, I get it. But thats been my experience.

For tracking I use the KT units until I run out of them then I just us UAD in line plugins through the Console app. No disappointments.
Old 24th August 2018
Gear Nut
Anyone writing about the KT always says it's "brighter", has "less weight", and sounds "JUST like an 1176".

Which is weird, because when I think of an 1176, two things that come to mind are NOT "bright" and "thin".
Old 24th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Man you guys are killing me! Lol Just when I've made up my mind to go with the Warm, mainly because it seems to be a better built, more "rugged" piece,.. but then I see others having quite the opposite experience. So now I'm back to trying to decide which one.
Old 24th August 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have both but prefer 1176-KT. It is simply better tracking compressor, more modern, transparent and cleaner sounding, besides I also think it is built better.
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When I was going through the 1176 clone consideration I wound up with a Hairball rev D and could not be happier.

I do not have past 1176 experience, so I have no idea how it compares, but I do love the sound of this unit.
Old 28th September 2018
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I really like the KT-76, having spent some time with it. I find it cleaner than vintage units. But it certainly has the right action. Just not a saturated tone. Have not spent enough time with the WA-76. Seems like their hottest selling item.
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
New KT is dirty cheap. I've heard some rumours, the build quality suffers now.

Klark Teknik 76-KT
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't like the idea of spreading "rumors" about gear, if you have anything definite to say that's fine.
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It’s all made in Behringer city in China, no? You mean it can suffer more? I love my KT stuff, I have all of it, 2A, 1176, and 2 EQPs. I also understand why it’s not 3k per unit.
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I also understand why it’s not 3k per unit. But, 200 per unit, come on..
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I have a pre-order for the Stam Audio 1176 ADG which is a Rev A, Rev D, and transformerless Rev G all in one unit. Great idea, and can't wait to get my hands on it, but looking like probably 2019 at this point.

For an extra ~$100 there's an option to upgrade it to an "ADF" which replaces the transformerless "G" part of the circuit with a "Rev F" circuit that includes yet another expensive name-brand transformer in the box. Pretty slick, and holy smokes it looks SHARP. None are out in the wild though, but the price was too tempting considering the component quality involved, so pre-ordered purely on faith.
Old 29th September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudiospecific ➡️
I made mine 15 years ago that has various modes (A, D, G) plus some other tone shaping stuff I added in, plus switchable transformers. I wondered if someone told them, heard of mine, or just happened to come up with a similar concept.

But I do like the KT76 because it has the correct blue stripe sound.

I can get dark and dirty with my own variation and of course, the UAD plugins are fine for that too.
That's awesome!

I have the Hairball Fet 500 1176 "Rev A" and it doesn't really sound like how you describe a Rev A I guess. I would describe this unit as heavily in-your-face punchy, bring-it-the-front, and adding saturation to the source. Not at all clean, it's very heavily a color unit. Which I like, I can do clean in the box these days.

Honestly, I'm trying to swing my hardware collection to focus exclusively on tracking and 2-buss vs. lots of outboard stuff for mixing because plugins have gotten so good, and just overall workflow/ease-of-use. The Hairball Rev A is a friggin monster tone machine, I seriously love it (with a pad in front of it!), but it's so "much" that I can't bring myself to track with it and print it. I got it for less than $500 which is a great deal so I'll probably keep it but it's not very versatile. Does that saturated in-your-face sound, and does it well. Kills on a dull snare top mic though, probably keep it just for that. And as a great analog saturation-type distortion flavor.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudiospecific ➡️

But I do like the KT76 because it has the correct blue stripe sound.
Did KT come out with a Rev A version while no one was looking??
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I don't think of the A version as clean, in fact that is its appeal to me, but I may be wrong.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibravibra ➡️
I also understand why it’s not 3k per unit. But, 200 per unit, come on..
Ya fair enough. It IS economical
Old 30th September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rev A is, to me, the least clean of any 1176. Quite a bit more harmonic goo at all settings.
Old 6th October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenolan ➡️
Anyone writing about the KT always says it's "brighter", has "less weight", and sounds "JUST like an 1176".

Which is weird, because when I think of an 1176, two things that come to mind are NOT "bright" and "thin".
I just listened to a guy's so-called Re-Mastered tracks with a pair of KT's, and I have to say, that's exactly how I would describe it: Thin and Overly Bright- harsh even.

Now, in his defense, he said it was "Remastered in stereo" which I got a kick out of. I told him Welcome to the New Millennium, lol.
Obviously, he doesn't know how to Mix, much less Master anything. So I could be giving these KT's an unfair judgement. I haven't used them myself, but I run everything through my 6176s. I don't Master, and I didn't have the heart to tell him that 76's aren't Mastering Compressors anyway (I didn't want to come off as a condescending prick).
But if I had to put down cash on a 76 emulation, it would be the WA's.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Back to the original question comparing the KT to the Warm 76s I much preferred the WA76.
It's smoother, rounder and a great performer. It's a Rev D based unit so is less bright with less distortion compared to other Rev based re issues.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’d junk them both and grab a Drawmer 1978 that’s 2 x KT or WA 1176 units with a hundred more options or as Vanilla perfect FET as UA might do!
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I went for this one: Volfram Limiter - IGS Audio

And I LOVE it
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I went for this one: Volfram Limiter - IGS Audio

And I LOVE it
Old 8th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I went ahead and purchased the KT. I've only done preliminary testing with a Millennia SST-1 Origin then into the KT 1176. Sounds fantastic so far, and the knobs feel solid and smooth.

A friend of mine has a UA 1176 and will be bringing it over for a proper shootout. I will report back.

Marc
Old 9th October 2018
Gear Nut
Looking forward to it. Did you say this was your first outboard comp, or no?
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've owned a Rupert Neve 5043 for many years now,.. and there's the compression section on the LA-610, and of course on the SST-1's. The 1176 is definitely a different beast than those, just hope I'm not too disappointed when comparing to the UA. Or maybe my friend will be the one disappointed!
Old 9th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte ➡️
I’d junk them both and grab a Drawmer 1978 that’s 2 x KT or WA 1176 units with a hundred more options or as Vanilla perfect FET as UA might do!
Can you use the 1978 for tracking two independent mono channels, for example as you can with the 1968?
📝 Reply