Quantcast
Impact of Preamp vs Impact of Mic - Page 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Impact of Preamp vs Impact of Mic
Old 1st May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey, i just bought a cheapass preamp to my expensive mic! It's gonna be great!

Or..

Hey I bought a super expensive preamp to my cheapass mic, it's gonna be great!!
If only there was a way to use both a great mic and a great pre...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankychris ➡️
if only there was a way to use both a great mic and a great pre... Confoosed
impossibrooo
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
There are compromises here as well. You have to use a Y or a transformer. Which can affect the mic or the preamps response to the mic. This was considered and rejected for the 3D Audio preamp comparison - one of the more well-known shootouts.

In their tests, they had studio musicians doing their best to be consistent. IMO they were consistent enough so you could benefit from listening. I picked the Fearn every time! In fact, that's why I bought it.

here is Lynn Fuston's excellent rundown of the different options for shooting out preamps and the pluses and minuses of each:

Comparing Preamps - EMusician

wait... what?
Yep, unless you use analytics tools there probably isn't a perfect way to do it.. Then again it's never perfect in the real world either.

I meant bounce it down to the same track and listen to them back to back, or a better one is mix phrases in succession and see if anyone can tell.. That's always interesting..

At standard gain staging I've had people compain it's too quiet so I add a small bit of limiting.

Meh, I've much bigger fish to fry than this.. Latency being one of them which is causing more headaches than my decent relatively expensive pre-amp vs. my expensive pre-amp..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyChris ➡️
First line of the article made me laugh a little bit...Which one of these things is not like the others?
I liked them including themselves, it gave me a chuckle, but I would like a whole rack of original UA 610s
Old 14th May 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mic trumps preamp! Back in the mid 60's we had this little battery powered 3" reel to reel machine that came with one of those horrible tin foil mics of the time. It recorded just as bad as you expect. But we had a nice RCA mic around and wired it into the machine. It turned it into a very, very competent little recorder. If you want to try a test get one of those little tin foil mics and plug it into your Neve and see if it comes out sounding like anything but a crappy tinfoil mic. Mic trumps preamp every time!
Old 15th May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson ➡️
Mic trumps preamp! Back in the mid 60's we had this little battery powered 3" reel to reel machine that came with one of those horrible tin foil mics of the time. It recorded just as bad as you expect. But we had a nice RCA mic around and wired it into the machine. It turned it into a very, very competent little recorder. If you want to try a test get one of those little tin foil mics and plug it into your Neve and see if it comes out sounding like anything but a crappy tinfoil mic. Mic trumps preamp every time!
[bold added]

I'm thinking you mean something like this mic...*

The tape recorder is essentially the same as my first recorder -- a machine so primitive it did not have a capstan (so the speed increased as the tape built up on the take-up reel) and the erase head was a permanent magnet on a lever that would thunk into place against the tape in record mode.

The mic that came with mine died (I'm positive I abused it; I was 10) so I saved up $1.50 and bought a new more or less identical one at the local Arrow Electronics store -- starting a long association with that fine establishment, which carried the old Allied and Knightkit catalog lines.

* Inside the mic the ceramic element was concealed by a foil diaphragm.
Old 15th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➡️
[bold added]

I'm thinking you mean something like this mic...*

The tape recorder is essentially the same as my first recorder -- a machine so primitive it did not have a capstan (so the speed increased as the tape built up on the take-up reel) and the erase head was a permanent magnet on a lever that would thunk into place against the tape in record mode.

The mic that came with mine died (I'm positive I abused it; I was 10) so I saved up $1.50 and bought a new more or less identical one at the local Arrow Electronics store -- starting a long association with that fine establishment, which carried the old Allied and Knightkit catalog lines.

* Inside the mic the ceramic element was concealed by a foil diaphragm.
Almost identical to mine. The difference a real microphone made was stunning. That old RCA mic we had could have been used today for serious recording. It would seem that the electronics they used in the machine were far better than they had a right to be.
Old 16th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Weird. That was my first tape recorder as well. No capstan, sounded terrible, took those little 3 inch reels. I think it was from the Montgomery Wards catalog. My next reel to reel though was a small compact one sold by Sears. It had bigger reels, was a real reel to reel with capston and everything and sounded pretty good. What was really cool was the manual told you how to do direct recording with a little supplied cable that had two aligator clips on one end which you clipped to the leads of a speaker.
📝 Reply