The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Updates on Cranborne Audio Camden 500, 500R8, 500ADAT - Test Drive Mojo!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah - for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Trace ➡️
What is expected to be in the 500ADAT firmware update. Just got mine, got it cabled up, and had a first round with it yesterday! 10/10!
The big one for 500ADAT is auto sampling rate detect... and we've had this working here at Cranborne HQ for several months but until it gets the full regression test and the new DFU installers we can't release this.

Oversharing again but at this point it's fun to do

Sean from Cranborne
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Yeah - for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yes but the problem is we need to enable SDPIF in/out and we can't do that until we do this rewrite because SPDIF breaks it.

Sean from Cranborne
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise ➡️
The big one for 500ADAT is auto sampling rate detect... and we've had this working here at Cranborne HQ for several months but until it gets the full regression test and the new DFU installers we can't release this.

Oversharing again but at this point it's fun to do

Sean from Cranborne
Oh man, hadn’t even thought of that as a feature, but would be quite nice as I frequently work at both 48 and 96. Killer.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ ➡️
If you scroll back through this thread there are some good posts
about routing..I wish Cranborne had a video or something in their manual about the options.
I clipped this from this thread maybe pages 9 or 10?
Sorry I didn't get the author but hope this helps.

"Can help you a bit with the summing part.
If you had analogue processors you would just route from Mix Out L/R on the back of the unit to your hardware mixbus chain then in to the DAW2 inputs.
Flick the daw switch to DAW2 and set the blend knob fully clockwise so you're only monitoring DAW2.
You can A/B the signal with/without 2bus processing simply by turning the blend knob fully between mix and daw.

For a mixbus with plugins you do the same but with the 'virtual' connections.
Create a channel in your DAW with your mixbus plugs on.
Make its inputs 9/10 (which are the USB inputs for the sum output).
Make its output 27/28 (the DAW2 outputs).
Now with blend set fully to daw and DAW2 selected, you'll hear the plugin mixbus.

The other option is to bounce down to three stereo stems instead of four for your final pass and use the last two R8 channels for your mix processing."
Thanks but I think that only applies to a stereo mix bus. In my case I need 6 out and 2 in.
Cheers
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise ➡️
The big one for 500ADAT is auto sampling rate detect...
I'm using my 500ADAT as the master clock, set to 96khz. But UAD Luna keeps defaulting to 44.1khz even though I also have it set to 96khz in the hardware set up.
It's an annoying glitch in the system somewhere.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
it might be something to do with 96KHz on ADAT usually needing to be a Mux of two channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser ➡️
it might be something to do with 96KHz on ADAT usually needing to be a Mux of two channels.
Yes good shout this is likely the issue. We had the same issue when experimenting with the sample-rate detect feature on the 500ADAT when it was slaving (which we solved) - basically the ADAT receiver doesn't know the difference between a base sample rate (44.1/48Khz) and its multiples (88.4/96, 176.4/192) due to SMUXII/SMUXIV because the signal coming over the first ADAT input looks the same (8 channels of 48kHz, 4 channels of 96kHz, 2 channels of 192kHz). UA should be able to fix this once they are aware of it.

Sean from Cranborne
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

@ Karpmentalise - I know you're busy working on firmware for S/PDIF functionality on the 500R8, but can you comment on whether or not there will be any analog routing changes for higher sample rates?

Specifically, I'd like to be able to work in 88.2 and yet still have the ability to use the DAW 2 output via USB (perhaps outs 11/12 would take over for 27/28 in this case?).

--- TL;DR above, specifics below ---

I basically need a spare stereo aux send outside of channels 1-10. At the moment, I have two options, neither of which is ideal:
- I could use the insert send of 7/8 and desolder the ring so nothing is returned - however, this means I'd need to physically disconnect the insert cables (no patchbay, 500R8 racked in desk) when I want to use those channels for anything other than a send.
- I could resave and reconvert all my sessions to 44.1k. Everything I've created in the last 5 years has been 88.2k, so this would be monumentally painful.

Preferably, you could add a feature to toggle either ADAT or DAW 1/2 output at higher sample rates. I don't use ADAT, so this is just wasted channel count for me (though I am looking forward to S/PDIF functionality). Hopefully it would be as simple as selecting either 12-channel or 18-channel from Audio MIDI Setup (adding the +2 channels to the existing 10) @ 88.2.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickett ➡️
Thanks but I think that only applies to a stereo mix bus. In my case I need 6 out and 2 in.
Cheers
Yes wasn't sure if you could use it but there's some good advice on routing back in those pages. Have fun!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ ➡️
Yes wasn't sure if you could use it but there's some good advice on routing back in those pages. Have fun!
Yes there it's very good information. Thank you for your help
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Strategy for populating slots for tracking & mixing?

I have tried a few 500 series modules but i've taken them out because they get in the way of mixing and summing.
For tracking I use slot insert points with 19" rack units and a patchbay.
I now leave the slots empty because I can't think of a good strategy for populating the slots with modues that will work for both tracking and mix bus duties.

How do you choose 500 series modules for tracking, mix bus or other fx and then arrange them to process the seperate drum, bass, gtr, keys, vox and mix busses?

Last edited by wickett; 5 days ago at 12:52 PM..
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickett ➡️
I have tried a few 500 series modules but i've taken them out because they get in the way of mixing and summing.
For tracking I use slot insert points with 19" rack units and a patchbay.
I now leave the slots empty because I can't think of a good strategy for populating the slots with modues that will work for both tracking and mix bus duties.

How do you choose 500 series modules for tracking, mix bus or other fx and then arrange them to process the seperate drum, bass, gtr, keys, vox and mix busses?
For my setup I thought of the norm. API eq, SSL eq, NEVE eq, then went compressor after. Always stereo pair because I think of these as if I were working in a console / parallel.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ ➡️
For my setup I thought of the norm. API eq, SSL eq, NEVE eq, then went compressor after. Always stereo pair because I think of these as if I were working in a console / parallel.
Thanks. So do you route your busses something like: Drums through say API slots 1 and 2. Bass through Neve slots 3 & 4. Guitars through SSL slots 4 & 6 etc.?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Routing Question

I would like to figure out how to do this if possible. So far I am loving the 500R8 and have used it to sum my stereo mix through two Camden's and love what they bring to a final mix. However I would like to do the following, but can't figure out how (I use Logic Pro X.)

I want Preamp - EQ - Comp in slots 1-3, and the same in SLots 4-6.

I want to run the stereo mix into 1 and 4 and out 3 and 6, so I am summing the stereo mix through the same chain.

Any help would be appreciated. I am fairly new to working this way as I have only mixed ITB prior to purchasing the 500R8. Also, if I am thinking of this wrong you can let me know as well. Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbergjunk ➡️
I would like to figure out how to do this if possible. So far I am loving the 500R8 and have used it to sum my stereo mix through two Camden's and love what they bring to a final mix. However I would like to do the following, but can't figure out how (I use Logic Pro X.)

I want to run the stereo mix into 1 and 4 and out 3 and 6, so I am summing the stereo mix through the same chain.

Any help would be appreciated. I am fairly new to working this way as I have only mixed ITB prior to purchasing the 500R8. Also, if I am thinking of this wrong you can let me know as well. Thanks for the help.

Jeff
I think that due to the way Logic does I/o send and returns you will need to send to 1&2 and come back on 5&6
Then inhabit the slots
Pre 1&2
EQ 3&4
Comp 5&6
And on the back use short cables running 1 to 3 to 5 and 2 to 4 to 6 rather than the 123 next slot switches
Lee
Old 15 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puresonics ➡️
I think that due to the way Logic does I/o send and returns you will need to send to 1&2 and come back on 5&6
Then inhabit the slots
Pre 1&2
EQ 3&4
Comp 5&6
And on the back use short cables running 1 to 3 to 5 and 2 to 4 to 6 rather than the 123 next slot switches
Lee
Thanks for the help
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbergjunk ➡️

Jeff
Another option

The way I do my mix bus is to have my EQ in slots 7-8 in my 500R8 and then using a second API 500 rack I take the inserts out of the back of the 500R8 to my mix bus chain of pre and comp in the second 500 rack and back in to the 500R8.

That way I only use I/O on 7-8 in Logic and can use slots 1-6 for other send returns etc.
It also means one can use 19" gear in the chain if required.

As an aside Ive also taken to using 2 slot devices in the 500R8 with the second slot set to 'through' on the 500R8 chassis and then using the insert on that second slot to send/return to other gear either in another 500 chassis or 19".

Hope that's of interest

Regards
Lee
📝 Reply