The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Updates on Cranborne Audio Camden 500, 500R8, 500ADAT - Test Drive Mojo!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend ➡️
One man's right thing I guess - chucking your UK manufacturing workforce on the scrap-heap.
We have gone from 4 employees to 13 in the UK and continue to keep expanding/hiring in the UK. And we have never employed anyone in-house to manufacture our products - we use contract manufacturers with all the facilities, expertise, and scale as it's a massive investment to make an in-house electronics manufacturing facility from scratch with all the machinery and operator expertise we need to make our products. This is how most pro audio electronics is made - very few companies have their own PCB assembly, metalwork, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend ➡️
and moving production to Hong Kong doesn't sound like the right thing to me - but maybe I'm old fashioned.
Old-fashioned maybe. More likely not experienced with electronics manufacturing and the capability, or lack thereof, of UK manufacturing with regards to the processes we need for our products - thanks to global trends happening for 40+ years.

Where do all the op-amps we use in our designs get made? Do you think the UK? How about resistors? Capacitors? Transistors? Inductors? Diodes?

What about metalwork? Firstly, the raw steel, where do you think that comes from? The UK? Ok fine, let's say we import sheet metal, now where do we get our metalwork folded, laser cut, stamped, powder coated, and silkscreened in the UK? (There is a supplier we used in Bedford but their capacity is far too small for our demand).

So now let's talk PCBs. Where does the copper come from? The UK? Obviously not again. So do we import panels of copper and then send them to a PCB fab house in the UK? Do you think there are many volume production PCB fab houses in the UK? We know of one just outside Glasgow that we used but quickly outgrew their capacity as well. Every other UK PCB supplier fabs their boards in the Far East - same with EU PCB suppliers. After all, this is where all the copper comes from so you might as well do the fabrication there as well.

So for our UK made products, what materials were made in the UK? The answer is unfortunately none - that's the reality of manufacturing in the 21st century. All we can do in the UK is assembly and test - and unfortunately we've outgrown our UK manufacturing partner's capacity with our 9 products all being made in volume and more coming.

Talking about "not the right thing" - think about that carbon footprint importing all these individual raw materials, each from different suppliers, just to be able to say "Made in the UK". Whereas our World-Class manufacturing partner HQ'd in Hong Kong with 9 factories around the world does everything in-house and then ships finished goods only, all consolidated, to one of our 3 warehouses around the world. The net result is a 450% reduction on our carbon footprint. i'd say that's definitely doing the right thing. But maybe I'm new-fashioned.

And the very last reason on our minds to do this change was cost. In fact, it has been a huge investment for us to do this and our products will not be cheaper as our new partner is a very high-capability and high-quality electronics manufacturer with elite capabilities. We have dramatically improved our product quality and yield - and that's the number one reason we have undertaken this gargantuan task and change to our business.

Sean from Cranborne
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Cranborne Audio 500R8 vs Lynx Aurora (n)

Just AB tested the Cranborne Audio 500R8 against the Lynx Aurora (n).
The 500R8 easily stands up against the Lynx + has more punch in the low end.

Tested on Focal SM9 Monitors + SSL SiX

Lynx = £2894
500R8 = £1600
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Not to be a fanboy, but I've been blown away by the Camden 500.
I have CAPI and Api in my 500 lunchbox plus Quad Eight and vintage Telefunken mic/pres.
I initially bought a couple of Camden 500 because they were affordable and I needed a couple of extra channels for my drum recordings.
I had them on overheads to begin with. they sounded nice, but I mostly put that down to my vintage Neumann KM84 mics.
In the end I bought a couple more Camden and am using all four for toms with Senn 421's, a mic that lots of people like to diss. I have 50% 'thump' dialled in. I looove my tom sound. I keep getting compliments on how nice my toms sound.
Toms with Thump engaged is where mine are used the most use too. Pres this clean work on anything, but Camden with Thump is my favorite tom pre ever.
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave ➡️
But they excel on ANY source I throw at them. Reasons for going with the SB (or Elysia Skulpter I have) are purely colour/mojo vibe related at tracking time.
How much mojo can you get out of that Skulpter in a Line level mixing situation when compared to the Silver Bullet and the Camden?
Also what instruments do you feel the Skulpter shines on, or can you run basically anything through it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I was lucky to get a 500 Adat recently and I‘m absolutely floored by the usability, design and especially sound of this thing! What a joy to use it! I know it’s fanboying a little, but I‘m seriously excited about this product. Pretty sure I‘ll get a 500 R8 at one point in the future. Also have two Camden Pres which are great workhorses as well. Really hope that Cranborne has some other 500 modules in store in the near future(like eq, compression etc)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM ➡️
How much mojo can you get out of that Skulpter in a Line level mixing situation when compared to the Silver Bullet and the Camden?
Also what instruments do you feel the Skulpter shines on, or can you run basically anything through it?
The Skulpter is a pretty new piece for me so I haven't actually pushed anything through it from an outboard mix - YET. So far it's like a great swiss-army knife that complements the Camdens and SB, but has a different flavour of clean / saturation than either the Camden or SB. It shares some of the vibe of it's big brother the Karacter (which i've also got, but mostly use on guitars/synths)

2 use cases where the Skulpter is my goto currently is my 'nuke' boundary mic that is a pretty bit part of my drum setup. The Skulpter KILLS for this task, where I am doing the following:-

1) Using the variable HiPass filter to remove just the right amount of low-end rumble / mud. This variable filter is pretty damn useful at tracking time for other tasks too, and I might reach for the Skulpter over Camden/SB for this reason alone.

2) Dial in Shape 1 to reign in the cymbals from this mic and add some saturation / energy to the body of the kick - I'm usually setting this to a quite gritty 60% which dirties up the sound in a really beautiful way, but tames the cymbals nicely

3) Dial in the one knob compressor to get just the right amount of 'nuke' - which varies track to track, but so far I'm always getting where I want to be.

This is giving me EXACTLY what i'm looking for (really nice mid-forward body and emphasis on the kick attack, which is super useful at mix time) from this track straight from the get go, whereas before I was getting there after an outboard pass or two, and maybe even then some additional shaping in the final mix.

The other use case is the Skulpter is THE best DI i've ever used, bar none (previously the DI on the A2D was the best i've used) I'm getting some incredible bass tones from this wee guy, which is worth the price of admission to me alone.

Hope this helps!
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Skulpter is a pretty new piece for me so I haven't actually pushed anything through it from an outboard mix - YET. So far it's like a great swiss-army knife that complements the Camdens and SB, but has a different flavour of clean / saturation than either the Camden or SB. It shares some of the vibe of it's big brother the Karacter (which i've also got, but mostly use on guitars/synths)

2 use cases where the Skulpter is my goto currently is my 'nuke' boundary mic that is a pretty bit part of my drum setup. The Skulpter KILLS for this task, where I am doing the following:-

1) Using the variable HiPass filter to remove just the right amount of low-end rumble / mud. This variable filter is pretty damn useful at tracking time for other tasks too, and I might reach for the Skulpter over Camden/SB for this reason alone.

2) Dial in Shape 1 to reign in the cymbals from this mic and add some saturation / energy to the body of the kick - I'm usually setting this to a quite gritty 60% which dirties up the sound in a really beautiful way, but tames the cymbals nicely

3) Dial in the one knob compressor to get just the right amount of 'nuke' - which varies track to track, but so far I'm always getting where I want to be.

This is giving me EXACTLY what i'm looking for (really nice mid-forward body and emphasis on the kick attack, which is super useful at mix time) from this track straight from the get go, whereas before I was getting there after an outboard pass or two, and maybe even then some additional shaping in the final mix.

The other use case is the Skulpter is THE best DI i've ever used, bar none (previously the DI on the A2D was the best i've used) I'm getting some incredible bass tones from this wee guy, which is worth the price of admission to me alone.

Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. The Skulpter is on my list for 500 Series outboard boxes primarily for outboard mixing. I think it will compliment Camden and LTL Mr. Focus very nicely.

Last edited by JGM; 3 weeks ago at 07:55 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:

Hope this helps!
I eyeballed a Skulpter for my 500R8 for awhile but my impression was that it would expect mic level from the Cranborne's USB channel send.

I guess you haven't tested this aspect yet but please report back how it works out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb ➡️
I eyeballed a Skulpter for my 500R8 for awhile but my impression was that it would expect mic level from the Cranborne's USB channel send.

I guess you haven't tested this aspect yet but please report back how it works out.
I haven't A/B tested it yet vs SB/MR Focus and Camdens, but the Skulpter 100% accepts line levels from both the DI and the rear input - this is one of the reasons I purchased it, and I have ran audio from my Moto interface through the Skulpter with no issues.

The reason it doesn't have a mic/line switch is Elysia developed an amp that can take a broad range of input signals.

See here for more tech info:-

elysia presents skulpter 500 - the sound shaping preamp!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hi all,

I am thinking about either EC2 or EC4.
EC 2 would be perfect for mobility reasons (when tracking in rented rooms), but I would like to know if anybody does actually use the Mojo-circuitry as a reamping/mixing tool on 2 bus with good success?
That would make me choose the stereo version.

Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA ➡️
Toms with Thump engaged is where mine are used the most use too. Pres this clean work on anything, but Camden with Thump is my favorite tom pre ever.
Thanks for the feedback BrentA and chrisso. We've heard this from other very well-respected tracking engineers as well. Our theory about why Camden is so good for acoustic drums is the transient response and phase shift (or lack thereof). People have described the Camden as the "punchiest" preamp they have, but not in the same way their other "punchy" preamps are - more instant and immediate transients and a fuller, natural, but big sound. And that's pre-Thump - which as you mentioned, works a treat on drums with how it reinforces with the low-end with harmonic saturation without adding to the fundamental and increasing peak level. And crucially, Thump doesn't compromise the clean front-end (like how a transformer preamp would) - it enhances the clean Camden front-end and works in concert with it which makes it something completely different.

Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

Sean from Cranborne
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingloud ➡️
Hi all,

EC 2 would be perfect for mobility reasons (when tracking in rented rooms), but I would like to know if anybody does actually use the Mojo-circuitry as a reamping/mixing tool on 2 bus with good success?

Thanks in advance
yeah, I use them as delicious secret sauce on stereo busses all the time. And like many others have said here, once you've heard thump on drums....
You definitely want to be able to use mojo on a stereo stem right away.
Gear Addict
Quote:
I haven't A/B tested it yet vs SB/MR Focus and Camdens, but the Skulpter 100% accepts line levels from both the DI and the rear input - this is one of the reasons I purchased it, and I have ran audio from my Moto interface through the Skulpter with no issues.

The reason it doesn't have a mic/line switch is Elysia developed an amp that can take a broad range of input signals.

See here for more tech info:-

elysia presents skulpter 500 - the sound shaping preamp!
I mainly play synths & after talking to the Avedis guys about their KeyPre, I'm wary of mega-high "one-impedance-fits-all" approach to DIs/line inputs. I'm fairly ignorant regarding that nitty-gritty detail so try to stray on the safe side.

If you get a chance to A/B the Elysia vs the LtL stuff, please let me know how it goes. A Skulpter would have to displace a Chroma w/ Royal Blue from my 500R8!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickett ➡️
Just AB tested the Cranborne Audio 500R8 against the Lynx Aurora (n).
The 500R8 easily stands up against the Lynx + has more punch in the low end.

Tested on Focal SM9 Monitors + SSL SiX

Lynx = £2894
500R8 = £1600
Could you make some samples of both?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Karpmentalise,

Any idea when the US will have more stock of the 800r8 interface? Been looking everywhere and every site says "on order".

To everyone else just to add another opinion, I've used contract manufacturers both in the US and China. China is every bit as good or better depending on who you use. Sanmina in China is as sophisticated as you can get. The only reason to build solely in the States now is if you're working on Top Secret stuff for the military, need quick turn around or can't afford to send people out there to resolve occasional issues during initial builds. Made in China isn't a bad thing anymore. IPhone anyone?

I also agree you don't need the best opamps for a given function. No need for 80MHz opamps when you have to slow it down a ton for stability and filtering reasons. My last project was based on reducing cost on an existing design which had $3 per channel opamps and I reduced them to $0.10 per channel while improving the supporting components and layout. I ended up with better performance overall.

I tend to still like discrete opamps for my preamps but that's a taste thing and not based on accuracy.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
What's an EC4 ?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoli ➡️
What's an EC4 ?
sorry - EC1 or EC2
Gear Nut
Quote:
sorry - EC1 or EC2
I’m definitely looking at adding an EC2 to my ADAT500 for portable tracking usage where I can transport it to my booth and adjust levels and then put it back on my desk for mix usage. The CAST i/o make a setup like this super easy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi,
Can anyone help me with connecting my 500R8 to an SSL SiX mixer please?

I would like to be able to send 6 tracks from my DAW into the SiX for summing and processing through the G-Bus compressor and then record the mix output back into my DAW.
Thanks
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hi,
Can anyone help me with connecting my 500R8 to an SSL SiX mixer please?

I would like to be able to send 6 tracks from my DAW into the SiX for summing and processing through the G-Bus compressor and then record the mix output back into my DAW.
Thanks
Should be: run the outputs from 1-6 on the R8 into inputs 1-6 on the SSL. Route the stereo mix out from the SSL into 7-8 on the R8. Record.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Trace ➡️
Should be: run the outputs from 1-6 on the R8 into inputs 1-6 on the SSL. Route the stereo mix out from the SSL into 7-8 on the R8. Record.
Thanks. That's what I figured. Someone told me to to send from the aux outputs as a starting point for some reason?

Would I gain another 2 outputs by sending tracks to the mix output?
I see the R8 has a total of 28 outputs in the cubase audio connections list. Not sure how these correspond to physical outputs

Last edited by wickett; 3 weeks ago at 07:59 PM..
Gear Nut
Quote:
Thanks. That's what I figured. Someone told me to to send from the aux outputs as a starting point for some reason?

Would I gain another 2 outputs by sending tracks to the mix output?
I see the R8 has a total of 28 outputs in the cubase audio connections list. Not sure how these correspond to physical outputs
ADAT500 user, so not sure how the i/o works on the R8.

I don't know how starting with the aux would be easier / more organized / better than using 1-6, and coming back in on 7-8. I'd leave the fancy tricks for a more complicated problem.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Trace ➡️
ADAT500 user, so not sure how the i/o works on the R8.

I don't know how starting with the aux would be easier / more organized / better than using 1-6, and coming back in on 7-8. I'd leave the fancy tricks for a more complicated problem.
Yes that way does seem more straight forward. Tried sending from mix out (Daw 9 & 10) but got no signal
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guigui ➡️
Could you make some samples of both?
I sent the Lynx back
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes that way does seem more straight forward. Tried sending from mix out (Daw 9 & 10) but got no signal
If you scroll back through this thread there are some good posts
about routing..I wish Cranborne had a video or something in their manual about the options.
I clipped this from this thread maybe pages 9 or 10?
Sorry I didn't get the author but hope this helps.

"Can help you a bit with the summing part.
If you had analogue processors you would just route from Mix Out L/R on the back of the unit to your hardware mixbus chain then in to the DAW2 inputs.
Flick the daw switch to DAW2 and set the blend knob fully clockwise so you're only monitoring DAW2.
You can A/B the signal with/without 2bus processing simply by turning the blend knob fully between mix and daw.

For a mixbus with plugins you do the same but with the 'virtual' connections.
Create a channel in your DAW with your mixbus plugs on.
Make its inputs 9/10 (which are the USB inputs for the sum output).
Make its output 27/28 (the DAW2 outputs).
Now with blend set fully to daw and DAW2 selected, you'll hear the plugin mixbus.

The other option is to bounce down to three stereo stems instead of four for your final pass and use the last two R8 channels for your mix processing."
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
With some amazing products, Cranborne needs to invest in couple of days of video making. Studio Rats (Youtube) have made a dozen videos demonstrating and explaining UAD Luna for example. maybe just get the gear into the hands of a well known studio Youtuber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSmith ➡️
Karpmentalise,

Any idea when the US will have more stock of the 800r8 interface? Been looking everywhere and every site says "on order".
Hey GSmith,

We sent out an end user newsletter earlier this month giving an update. I know subscribing to this stuff may feel like granting license to spam but we use our email blasts judiciously and not for marketing spam. We use the email blasts to mention really important relevant news like new products, software updates (500R8 and 500ADAT updates are coming, I promise), and stock/delivery updates. We also give our email subscribers the chance for giveaways and stuff when we run them. But I appreciate people wanting to stay away from spam lists!

Anyway, I can give pretty much the same update - we finally have more converters going onto PCBs. First small batch is coming imminently but we are so heavily backordered that these won't make much of a dent. We have a much bigger batch coming late May/early June which should catch us up. My best advice is, if possible, put your order in ASAP with your retailer as stock is on allocation until we catch up to our backorders completely. Whereas if you wait until the product shows "in stock" that will be after all the backorders have been fulfilled.

Thanks GSmith!

Quote:
To everyone else just to add another opinion, I've used contract manufacturers both in the US and China. China is every bit as good or better depending on who you use. Sanmina in China is as sophisticated as you can get. The only reason to build solely in the States now is if you're working on Top Secret stuff for the military, need quick turn around or can't afford to send people out there to resolve occasional issues during initial builds. Made in China isn't a bad thing anymore. IPhone anyone?

I also agree you don't need the best opamps for a given function. No need for 80MHz opamps when you have to slow it down a ton for stability and filtering reasons. My last project was based on reducing cost on an existing design which had $3 per channel opamps and I reduced them to $0.10 per channel while improving the supporting components and layout. I ended up with better performance overall.
All phrased very well and completely agreed all around.

Quote:
I tend to still like discrete opamps for my preamps but that's a taste thing and not based on accuracy.
The front-end of the Camden 500 is discrete and Ed has been cooking up something very, very cool in the Cranborne lab here. Can't divulge too much because it's early days but think discrete op-amps done the Cranborne way...

Cheers GSmith!

Sean from Cranborne
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Cool to hear about new upcoming products. Awesome

Yeah I put in my order back in November for the 500R8 so I'm looking forward to more units becoming available. I'm getting as many of these as possible before word gets out how good they sound.
Quote:
Cool to hear about new upcoming products. Awesome
Well don't get too excited... Ed had to put development of this down to work full-time on the 500R8/500ADAT software/firmware with our other two firmware engineers (one of whom is retiring soon). But Ed and the guys are actually making great progress now so Ed should be able to pick this project back up in a couple of months.

Quote:
Yeah I put in my order back in November for the 500R8 so I'm looking forward to more units becoming available. I'm getting as many of these as possible before word gets out how good they sound.
Ah you are good. You will be getting your unit very shortly then.

And thanks for the kind words. That's brilliant you feel that way. Fancy letting the secret out a bit though? If we grow the brand more we can make so much more awesome stuff... we have so many ideas!

Cheers GSmith

Sean from Cranborne
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise ➡️
Well don't get too excited... Ed had to put development of this down to work full-time on the 500R8/500ADAT software/firmware with our other two firmware engineers (one of whom is retiring soon). But Ed and the guys are actually making great progress now so Ed should be able to pick this project back up in a couple of months.

Ah you are good. You will be getting your unit very shortly then.

And thanks for the kind words. That's brilliant you feel that way. Fancy letting the secret out a bit though? If we grow the brand more we can make so much more awesome stuff... we have so many ideas!

Cheers GSmith

Sean from Cranborne
What is expected to be in the 500ADAT firmware update. Just got mine, got it cabled up, and had a first round with it yesterday! 10/10!
📝 Reply