The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bae 1073/neve 1073/stam 1073
Old 15th January 2020 | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty James ➡️
This is incorrect.
Can you clarify?
Old 24th February 2020 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
the fxs's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Reese ➡️
I never did the shootout because i sent them back.
Wasn't my cup of tea.
which one did you send back?
which one wasn't your cup of tea?
Old 24th February 2020
  #63
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Anyone compare the BAE to the Preamp in the Shelford Channel?
Old 24th February 2020 | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Kronos147's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 ➡️
Can you clarify?
The Brent Averill 1073's are faithful recreations.

The information about 'only one amp' has to do with 1272's and how they were made to be mic pre amps. Read the Geoff Tanner stuff if you want to chase that rabbit hole.

FWIW, there are a lot of BAE models now. I don't understand the differences at all. I don't understand why the price varies so much. I do know that there are some BAE's that follow the original formula too. Like the vertical raw modules.



PS - anyone looking to unload a pair of the Brent Averill 1272's because you like the STAM or any other clone, let me know! I'm interested!

Old 24th February 2020 | Show parent
  #65
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 ➡️
The Brent Averill 1073's are faithful recreations.

The information about 'only one amp' has to do with 1272's and how they were made to be mic pre amps. Read the Geoff Tanner stuff if you want to chase that rabbit hole.

FWIW, there are a lot of BAE models now. I don't understand the differences at all. I don't understand why the price varies so much. I do know that there are some BAE's that follow the original formula too. Like the vertical raw modules.



PS - anyone looking to unload a pair of the Brent Averill 1272's because you like the STAM or any other clone, let me know! I'm interested!

No, not thinking of the 1272 based pre at all.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/bae-1073-dmp

Bae 1073/neve 1073/stam 1073-2e25051c-6809-4c17-800c-579544373077.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Bae 1073/neve 1073/stam 1073-2e25051c-6809-4c17-800c-579544373077.jpg  
Old 24th February 2020
  #66
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
IMO, in that last 20dB of gain or so, a real Neve design is much cleaner and less noisy. For using it with a tube mic, probably not a big deal, but it can get a little rough if you’re trying to use with ribbons in certain situations. The BAE stuff is still great, including these units, just something to keep in mind.
Old 30th March 2020 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 ➡️
A few weeks ago I bought a BAE 1073 MPF and I found it has more than enough clean gain for my needs (acoustic guitar / vocals), but I think I'm going to buy a Warm 1073 EQ and compare them as direct as I can (bypassing the EQ on the Warm). If I do I will post the results.

I've never owned a real Neve 1073 and most owners of the BAE stuff typically seem to hold their 1073s in high regard so I though it would give one a try. The only pre that I own, that is remotely similar to a 1073, is my Neve Portico 5012 (with the silk button pushed in), and I can say without a doubt, the BAE1073 MPF has way more saturation on tap than the 5012
Did you ever compare the BAE 1073mpf to the warm wa73? I’m very curious how the warm wa273 (no eq, just filters) compares to the bae mpf.

Thanks
Old 30th March 2020 | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Rockabilly69's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
Did you ever compare the BAE 1073mpf to the warm wa73? I’m very curious how the warm wa273 (no eq, just filters) compares to the bae mpf.

Thanks
No because I liked the BAE MPF so much that I decided to spend the money I was going to use on the WARM for a Chandler Germanium Tone Control. Then I bought an Audioscape 76A and built a vocal channel around those pieces. That was the last piece of hardware that I bought for my studio so I'm pretty happy with the gear I chose.
Old 30th March 2020 | Show parent
  #69
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
Did you ever compare the BAE 1073mpf to the warm wa73? I’m very curious how the warm wa273 (no eq, just filters) compares to the bae mpf.

Thanks
Here is an example of what you’re asking about. It’s a nice video. BAE is a completely different league. Would love to hear the Stam in context like this.

Old 31st March 2020
  #70
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I always feel like there are great results to be had from the GAPs, but anytime I hear a comparison like this against something like the BAE...it just makes me think, why do I keep this thing? haha
Old 16th April 2020
  #71
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I tried to compare the bae mpf to the wa273 and was sent the wrong unit

I found a single channel mpf for a great price, which should be here soon to compare to the wa273 (no eq). I'll compare on mono OH. I only have two line-inputs at the moment and two interface preamps w/ no line in
Old 30th April 2020 | Show parent
  #72
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 ➡️
No because I liked the BAE MPF so much that I decided to spend the money I was going to use on the WARM for a Chandler Germanium Tone Control. Then I bought an Audioscape 76A and built a vocal channel around those pieces. That was the last piece of hardware that I bought for my studio so I'm pretty happy with the gear I chose.
Sorry to get OT, but the chandler tone control seems really interesting to me. I read it has 25db of gain. Could that be used as a preamp for a snare or Kick mic? Have you ever tried that?
Old 30th April 2020 | Show parent
  #73
Lives for gear
 
sirjuxtable's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx ➡️
I always feel like there are great results to be had from the GAPs, but anytime I hear a comparison like this against something like the BAE...it just makes me think, why do I keep this thing? haha
Ha, I feel the same way. I think it's because it's good enough to be useful, but cheap enough to that you're never that excited to sell it.
Old 1st May 2020 | Show parent
  #74
Lives for gear
 
Rockabilly69's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
Sorry to get OT, but the chandler tone control seems really interesting to me. I read it has 25db of gain. Could that be used as a preamp for a snare or Kick mic? Have you ever tried that?
It's tied in a rack to my BAE 1073MPF and Audioscape MP76 as a complete vocal channel, so I've never used it as a pre. But when checking it out originally I kind of remember at the highest gain settings it's got a little germanium dirtiness.
Old 1st May 2020 | Show parent
  #75
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 ➡️
It's tied in a rack to my BAE 1073MPF and Audioscape MP76 as a complete vocal channel, so I've never used it as a pre. But when checking it out originally I kind of remember at the highest gain settings it's got a little germanium dirtiness.
I also have an mpf that is on kick atm and would go into the tone control, if I were to get it. I was curious if the tone could possibly replace it n kick by itself

Thanks for the reply
Old 31st May 2020 | Show parent
  #76
Gear Maniac
 
Anyone else have any experiences with Stam vs Bae?

I have a SA1073MPA Carnhill that has treated me well but I'm looking to compare to a single channel Bae to see if any marginal gain in the Bae would justify the purchase as its my main vocal pre. I may arrange to shoot them out at Vintage King with a tube pre in the mix aswell. Meanwhile anyone else play around with these two and gathered any more thoughts?
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
  #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry R ➡️
I own both the Stam 1073 with Sowter and line input, and the BAE 1073 (rack unit). Let me first say that if you're going for a BAE do not get the 500 series as it has way less head room and doesn't sound nearly as good as the rack mount version (power supplies matter). I suppose the only reason to get the 500 series one is for traveling reasons but it will breakup WAY faster and sounds less big and open. Here are my thoughts:

BAE = I've tried and owned a bunch of preamps. The BAE 1073 is the first preamp that made my jaw drop when I first heard it. I honestly couldn't believe my ears. The image is so creamy, thick, airy, smooth, wide as hell. It's pure bliss and took my ears to another dimension. I heard it and was like "THATS WHAT MY VOCALS SHOULD SOUND LIKE!!!" I like wide mixes and width in general so I'm biased toward this kind of sound. If you're into a similar sound, you'll want at least one of these. I've never heard anything like it. I tried to hate it because of the price. I even brought my singer friend to Vintage King to do shootouts against so many other pre's, and to me, the BAE always won (the BAE 312s are pretty cool too but super dark and much more narrow, very smooth though in a good way). I'll NEVER sell my BAE or my API 512s. As always, ymmv.

STAM (w/ sowters) = Much darker than the BAE, as well as super narrow in comparison. It almost feels like the BAE is stereo and the STAM is mono, it's that big of a difference for me. That could be good or bad depending on your goals. The tone isn't really to my liking either. Not saying it sounds bad, but it has this super dark low mids bump thing happening with a weird almost kind of distortion that I just don't dig. I'm trying so hard to justify keeping it, but I'm almost ready to sell it if I can't find a use for it. If I didn't own the BAE I'd keep it. I'm thinking maybe I can keep it for a darker 1073 sound, but damn that BAE really slays so what's the point? The EQ on the STAM is not as smooth as the BAE either.

The biggest difference to me though is the most important. With the STAM unit I always feel like I need to EQ a bit or the sound I want isn't all the way there. With the BAE, I almost never need EQ at all and I am happy 100% with the tone I'm getting. I will say I'm not into the AMS neve sound at all. It sounds like a toy and I'd rather have the STAM or BAE over the AMS.

These opinions are shared by a lot of peers of mine as well. And, when I'm recording vocals in my studio, the artist always picks the BAE over everything else. So I guess that says something....

My advice, if you want darker and more vintage dirty sound, with a more narrow image, go STAM with sowters. If you want a more balanced, open, huge sound with plenty of bottom and smooth top, go BAE. I have no experience with the STAM with carnhills.

Also I'm done with STAM. They owe me $1600 in refunds and I've been chasing them for over 3 weeks to get my money back. Still don't have it....
Wonder if all of the good things you listed for the BAE 1073 also apply to the BAE 1073MPF series? Would a BAE 1073MPF drop your jaw too? I've read that a 1073 without EQ is not a real 1073, but unfortunately I can't afford a BAE 1073. I don't understand why this device costs 2,300€ more than the other rack models. 2,300€ more just for the EQ function?! I could only buy the MPF model, so only with a high-pass filter. Would that be on the same level as the BAE 1073 in terms of sound quality?

I'm looking for a preamp for pop vocals and can't decide between the AMS Neve 1073SPX and the BAE 1073MPF. The SPX was gutted here because it is produced cheaply thanks to SMT and the PSU is not supposed to be the best either.

But wouldn't a BAE be too dark for pop vocals?

I would be honored if I could read an answer from you.

Kind regards
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
  #78
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by metinmusic ➡️
Wonder if all of the good things you listed for the BAE 1073 also apply to the BAE 1073MPF series? Would a BAE 1073MPF drop your jaw too? I've read that a 1073 without EQ is not a real 1073, but unfortunately I can't afford a BAE 1073. I don't understand why this device costs 2,300€ more than the other rack models. 2,300€ more just for the EQ function?! I could only buy the MPF model, so only with a high-pass filter. Would that be on the same level as the BAE 1073 in terms of sound quality?

I'm looking for a preamp for pop vocals and can't decide between the AMS Neve 1073SPX and the BAE 1073MPF. The SPX was gutted here because it is produced cheaply thanks to SMT and the PSU is not supposed to be the best either.

But wouldn't a BAE be too dark for pop vocals?

I would be honored if I could read an answer from you.

Kind regards
Let’s start to answer these q’s with the easy one..
The bae MPF will do absolutely very well on pop stuff, being vocals, gtrs, bass or whatever you want to track.

The reason why a bae 1073 costs so much more is because of how it is built: like the old ones.
That means that they use expensive elma switches, and if you look on google on a 1073 gut picture you’ll understand why..
They are full of resistors which are soldered one by one by hand. That is done in their shop in LA (I believe North Hollywood). the inductors are quality ones, the Marconi knobs are quality pieces, pcb are thick and also quality pcb’s..
nothing is assembled by machines with smd’s.. all through hole. That has a cost.

That said if you want that “N” family sound with more sparkle on top you could look into Aurora Audio units, their GTQ2 is well priced, has 2 channels with a small eq.. or their GTQC is a great channelstrip with the same minimal eq and 2 compressors (which could be used also together, chaining them).
He also have some units without the eq, which are a little bit less expensive.
The Aurora units have a livelier topend, more “open” than a real vintage neve (or the bae units, which are imho also excellent).

In the 500 series world there’s the Avedis MA5, incredible piece.. neve topology, not a clone, but very high quality.

I tend to not like companies who prefer to trash the whole motherboard when something goes wrong, because it’s cheaper to replace it with a new one (since it’s machine made and with smd) that fixing the existing one.. our world can’t afford this way of doing business anymore.



Cheu
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
  #79
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by metinmusic ➡️
Wonder if all of the good things you listed for the BAE 1073 also apply to the BAE 1073MPF series? Would a BAE 1073MPF drop your jaw too? I've read that a 1073 without EQ is not a real 1073, but unfortunately I can't afford a BAE 1073. I don't understand why this device costs 2,300€ more than the other rack models. 2,300€ more just for the EQ function?! I could only buy the MPF model, so only with a high-pass filter. Would that be on the same level as the BAE 1073 in terms of sound quality?

I'm looking for a preamp for pop vocals and can't decide between the AMS Neve 1073SPX and the BAE 1073MPF. The SPX was gutted here because it is produced cheaply thanks to SMT and the PSU is not supposed to be the best either.

But wouldn't a BAE be too dark for pop vocals?

I would be honored if I could read an answer from you.

Kind regards
I would really recommend you add the GAP 1073 premier. I have one in my studio right now and it is very nice. I think I prefer to my AML. It's very punchy and feels expensive except the wall-wart power supply which is a petty. Otherwise I'm sure it can compete with the highend preamps
Old 11th November 2020
  #80
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
The BAE mpf is great. Worth the $ for the filters. I tried to warm wa273 and while it sounded good, Warm designed the filter to have a resonance bump at the cutoff frequency that did not sound good in my small room.
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
  #81
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
Let’s start to answer these q’s with the easy one..
The bae MPF will do absolutely very well on pop stuff, being vocals, gtrs, bass or whatever you want to track.

The reason why a bae 1073 costs so much more is because of how it is built: like the old ones.
That means that they use expensive elma switches, and if you look on google on a 1073 gut picture you’ll understand why..
They are full of resistors which are soldered one by one by hand. That is done in their shop in LA (I believe North Hollywood). the inductors are quality ones, the Marconi knobs are quality pieces, pcb are thick and also quality pcb’s..
nothing is assembled by machines with smd’s.. all through hole. That has a cost.

That said if you want that “N” family sound with more sparkle on top you could look into Aurora Audio units, their GTQ2 is well priced, has 2 channels with a small eq.. or their GTQC is a great channelstrip with the same minimal eq and 2 compressors (which could be used also together, chaining them).
He also have some units without the eq, which are a little bit less expensive.
The Aurora units have a livelier topend, more “open” than a real vintage neve (or the bae units, which are imho also excellent).

In the 500 series world there’s the Avedis MA5, incredible piece.. neve topology, not a clone, but very high quality.

I tend to not like companies who prefer to trash the whole motherboard when something goes wrong, because it’s cheaper to replace it with a new one (since it’s machine made and with smd) that fixing the existing one.. our world can’t afford this way of doing business anymore.



Cheu
Who makes Marconi knobs? I have different types but both came from BAE
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
  #82
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
Who makes Marconi knobs? I have different types but both came from BAE
BAE was used to use Marconi knobs afaik.

At least until some years ago.. I dunno if today they’re still using them.. I’d guess so though.

Afaik there was 3 companies using original Marconi knobs: BAE, Avedis Audio and Aurora Audio at least afaik (and if in the meanwhile things didn’t change for one reason or another.. there might be others, but not many.. most of the “neve” knobs are knock offs..I believe like the ones that ams uses, funnily enough).

I know 100% Avedis uses them in the MA5.
The other knobs he uses are designed by himself and custom made for him by a company doing aerospace stuff.. not cheap stuff, not off the shelf knobs for him. (MD7 and E27)

Maybe somebody have more updated info’s on this (although is not so relevant).

It’s not that the knobs make a difference in the sound, but shows some attention to details.. Marconi knobs are high quality products.. well made.. they come with the separate transparent skirt and you need to put in the white line by hand.



Cheu
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
  #83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➡️
Let’s start to answer these q’s with the easy one..
The bae MPF will do absolutely very well on pop stuff, being vocals, gtrs, bass or whatever you want to track.

The reason why a bae 1073 costs so much more is because of how it is built: like the old ones.
That means that they use expensive elma switches, and if you look on google on a 1073 gut picture you’ll understand why..
They are full of resistors which are soldered one by one by hand. That is done in their shop in LA (I believe North Hollywood). the inductors are quality ones, the Marconi knobs are quality pieces, pcb are thick and also quality pcb’s..
nothing is assembled by machines with smd’s.. all through hole. That has a cost.

That said if you want that “N” family sound with more sparkle on top you could look into Aurora Audio units, their GTQ2 is well priced, has 2 channels with a small eq.. or their GTQC is a great channelstrip with the same minimal eq and 2 compressors (which could be used also together, chaining them).
He also have some units without the eq, which are a little bit less expensive.
The Aurora units have a livelier topend, more “open” than a real vintage neve (or the bae units, which are imho also excellent).

In the 500 series world there’s the Avedis MA5, incredible piece.. neve topology, not a clone, but very high quality.

I tend to not like companies who prefer to trash the whole motherboard when something goes wrong, because it’s cheaper to replace it with a new one (since it’s machine made and with smd) that fixing the existing one.. our world can’t afford this way of doing business anymore.



Cheu
First of all, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply! Really appreciate that.

The BAE 1073MPF has also the elma switches and is handmade, here is a quote from vintage kings:
"The BAE 1073MPF features a silky-smooth Elma rotary switch and classic red knob for setting line and mic level gain."

Also here some interesting features that are quite similar like the OG bae 1073:

"- The same Class A components as the 1073 and 1084
- Same modular design and hand-wiring BAE is known for"

That was the reason why I questioned the high price.. I just checked the official website and found the following:

"1073MPF Rackmount Mic Pre - Tips:
Set the gain knob (red Marconi) around 20 on the dial and set the output (grey knob) fully clockwise."

So it has the expensive elma switches, marconi knobs and is handmade. Or did I misunderstand something? Are there any differences?

Kind regards
Old 12th November 2020
  #84
I have four Stam 1073 MPA units (w/ Sowter transformers) for about 2 years now. Haven't had any issues yet, they're built like tanks. One of the units I take with me on mobile recording excursions all the time. Soundwise I do not know how it compares to BAE, etc but it sounds great vs going straight into the interface every time (which is the only comparison I can really make). In hindsight I would have gotten a couple of units with Carnhills to see what that sounds like because the Sowters are indeed dark. I get a sort of Tom Waits - Blood Money kind of low-end vibe in my recorded material.
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #85
Lives for gear
 
BrentA's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n28 ➡️
Anyone else have any experiences with Stam vs Bae?

I have a SA1073MPA Carnhill that has treated me well but I'm looking to compare to a single channel Bae to see if any marginal gain in the Bae would justify the purchase as its my main vocal pre. I may arrange to shoot them out at Vintage King with a tube pre in the mix aswell. Meanwhile anyone else play around with these two and gathered any more thoughts?
It's been several months since you posted this, but I've had a BAE and a Stam with Sowters for a few years now. I already posted my general thoughts on the first page of this thread, but I can try to answer any other questions you have.

They're both in the Neve camp but they sound pretty different. I'm glad I have both. The Stam with Sowters is darker and thicker with a low mid push. The BAE is rich and detailed.

I've owned the Heritage Elite and Warm too, they are both a step down from the BAE and Stam in my opinion.

Great River is another awesome Neveish preamp I've owned. If I could only have one pre that would probably be it.
Old 13th November 2020
  #86
Lives for gear
 
thepilgrimsdream's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Whatever the question was....Chandler TG2 is definitely the answer
Old 5th March 2021
  #87
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Has anyone tried the newer AMS Neve 1073 SPX? Seems like a really nice price point. BAE is the gold standard to my ears, but the new AMS 1073SPX is half the price.

I consider pretty much anything that's not BAE in the mid-tier. I wonder if the new AMS NEVE version could also make the high-tier for a solid price?
Old 5th March 2021 | Show parent
  #88
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 ➡️
Has anyone tried the newer AMS Neve 1073 SPX? Seems like a really nice price point. BAE is the gold standard to my ears, but the new AMS 1073SPX is half the price.

I consider pretty much anything that's not BAE in the mid-tier. I wonder if the new AMS NEVE version could also make the high-tier for a solid price?
I own the DPX. It’s nice. I haven’t been able to compare it to the BAE though. It’s a lot cleaner than my Dan Alexander reracked 1272 until you engage the 2nd gain stage. It’s also pretty easy to push into distortion, which can be good or bad. I had to really learn how to gain stage with it. My understanding is all of the main parts are the same as AMS Neve’s more expensive units, but they use a PCB instead of point to point wiring to keep the cost down.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 83 views: 22252
Avatar for TonyBelmont
TonyBelmont 26th November 2007
replies: 395 views: 44810
Avatar for TonyBelmont
TonyBelmont 23rd March 2009
replies: 60 views: 24859
Avatar for nicolasmasset
nicolasmasset 23rd June 2019
replies: 17 views: 1697
Avatar for Drumsound
Drumsound 18th October 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump