The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !!
Old 28th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hmmm. Nothing in the manual to that effect. Perhaps it doesn’t kill the rear input and one definitely shouldn’t try to use it with two mics simultaneously.

The rear input on mine is connected to an XLR patchbay but sometimes I can’t be fussed with reaching over that far and will just use the frontside xlr. It works fine with two cables connected but only using the front side input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mihaljevic ➡️
Are you sure about the precedence thing?
Because I seem to recall Warm Audio suggesting not to have stuff connected to both XLR inputs simultaneously
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boom ➡️
Hmmm. Nothing in the manual to that effect. Perhaps it doesn’t kill the rear input and one definitely shouldn’t try to use it with two mics simultaneously.

The rear input on mine is connected to an XLR patchbay but sometimes I can’t be fussed with reaching over that far and will just use the frontside xlr. It works fine with two cables connected but only using the front side input.
Yes, there's nothing in the manual, but there's this thing on the Warm website about the TB12 (which is a different product, I know) that people often quote for WA73 too:
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !!-screenshot_20210428-100413-2.jpg

So, unless there's some specific info regarding WA73 that says this is ok, I'd guess Warm did exactly the same thing on both units.
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio WA-73 + WA-273EQ !!-screenshot_20210428-100413-2.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mihaljevic ➡️
Yes, there's nothing in the manual, but there's this thing on the Warm website about the TB12 (which is a different product, I know) that people often quote for WA73 too:

So, unless there's some specific info regarding WA73 that says this is ok, I'd guess Warm did exactly the same thing on both units.
Well, having a cable plugged in with no microphone attached to it is physically the same as and empty xlr receptacle, so long as no signal is being passed through it, yes?

I get no difference in operation from using the front input with the back plugged into the patchbay and the back unplugged from the patchbay. No loss of gain or signal integrity. YMMV.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boom ➡️
Well, having a cable plugged in with no microphone attached to it is physically the same as and empty xlr receptacle, so long as no signal is being passed through it, yes?
That makes logical sense, but I don't know much about electronics. I don't know if it would affect the impedance in any way. I guess probably not... But then I'm wondering why they're saying "only one microphone cable" specifically
Old 13th June 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
So I was/am curious if any one has an opinion about how these compare to say a Rupert Neve Shelford Channel...I realize the difference price wise between these 2 pieces is fairly substantial, but that aside I guess I am wondering if the Warm is in the same ballpark, same game or can it not keep up with the Shelford?

I have been fortunate to be able to potentially get ahold of a Shelford and am wondering if anyone is able to chime in at all. I know some have been able to compared the Warm to a BAE, which some comment favorably and some not, but don't know that I have heard or seen anything with Warm and the Shelford....thanks
Old 14th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesbg ➡️
So I was/am curious if any one has an opinion about how these compare to say a Rupert Neve Shelford Channel...I realize the difference price wise between these 2 pieces is fairly substantial, but that aside I guess I am wondering if the Warm is in the same ballpark, same game or can it not keep up with the Shelford?

I have been fortunate to be able to potentially get ahold of a Shelford and am wondering if anyone is able to chime in at all. I know some have been able to compared the Warm to a BAE, which some comment favorably and some not, but don't know that I have heard or seen anything with Warm and the Shelford....thanks
I compared the bae mpf and wa73 x2 (no eq) and was unimpressed with the warm. I preferred the HA73 elite w/ eq to the warm units for an affordable 1073. I know it’s not exactly fair since I used the warm w/out eq. If it matters, I ended up with a BAE 1023L. I want a second but space matters at the moment.

I know it’s not 1073 related but I have an SSL six channel I just used on OH and it sounded really nice for that application. I haven’t put it on kick or snare yet, but for mono OH @USD$399 with eq/comp/hpf and meters, it is beating anything else under $500 per channel I have used based on the way it sounds.

Last edited by Ox Han; 14th June 2021 at 07:19 PM..
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
I compared the bae mpf and wa73 x2 (no eq) and was unimpressed with the warm. I preferred the HA73 elite w/ eq to the warm units for an affordable 1073. I know it’s not exactly fair since I used the warm w/out eq. If it matters, I ended up with a BAE 1023L. I want a second but space matters at the moment.

I know it’s not 1073 related but I have an SSL six channel I just used on OH and it sounded really nice for that application. I haven’t put it on kick or snare yet, but for mono OH @USD$399 with eq/comp/hpf and meters, it is beating anything else under $500 per channel I have used.
Gotcha...yeah I noticed that with the Warm unit their "tone" button, which is the impedance button of course, make a huge difference. I don't know, but i assume most 1073 modules were set at 300 ohm and then simply left in that position. Again I do not know this to be the case, but because the impedance switch on the vintage module is at the back it makes me think that is the case. i have noticed that vids i saw comparing units always get a much better reaction when the unit is set to 300 ohm...thus leading me to my thoughts

I was reading about the Shelford and the BAE and how some love the Shelford and some prefer the BAE...it seems that the Shelford is a "better" deal. They are comparable price wise, but the Shelford Offers more for that price.

Because I have the opportunity to grab a pair of Shelford Channels i was wondering if it made sense to sell the Warm pieces or, because I won't really get much if i sell, keep it and use it here and there. I am thinking the Shelford will be so much more, and of course better than the Warm, I am thinking the warm will just collect dust...I don't really know that I would even use the warm with a pair of shelford channel's there that can be used instead of the Warm pieces
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Gotcha...yeah I noticed that with the Warm unit their "tone" button, which is the impedance button of course, make a huge difference. I don't know, but i assume most 1073 modules were set at 300 ohm and then simply left in that position. Again I do not know this to be the case, but because the impedance switch on the vintage module is at the back it makes me think that is the case. i have noticed that vids i saw comparing units always get a much better reaction when the unit is set to 300 ohm...thus leading me to my thoughts

I was reading about the Shelford and the BAE and how some love the Shelford and some prefer the BAE...it seems that the Shelford is a "better" deal. They are comparable price wise, but the Shelford Offers more for that price.

Because I have the opportunity to grab a pair of Shelford Channels i was wondering if it made sense to sell the Warm pieces or, because I won't really get much if i sell, keep it and use it here and there. I am thinking the Shelford will be so much more, and of course better than the Warm, I am thinking the warm will just collect dust...I don't really know that I would even use the warm with a pair of shelford channel's there that can be used instead of the Warm pieces
I've never used the Shelford channel, so I can't comment on their sound. I can tell you I currently have two 511's and a BAE 1023L and I like these a lot for my 3 mic drum set up. It's hard for me to imagine the Shelford would sound bad and not be better than the warm, but perhaps you would prefer the warm and not spend a bunch of cash?

Only thing you can do is get the Shelfords into your space and try them out against the warm
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

BAE, WARM, and HERITAGE all have the impedence buttons, or tone on warm. All three brands offer 300/1200 I think. Someone will come in to correct if I'm wrong
Old 28th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Hey guys, a bump for a thread that is in sleep mode for a few months.

I'm planning to go into a hybrid platform. So far, I'm fully ITB (the only hardwares I have here are the audio interface and the DI), but I'm planning to build a tracking rack, with one or two preamps, and maybe a comp and an EQ. But I keep seeing mixed statements about it, so I'm lost yet.

I found here in Brazil both the WA12 MkII (API 312) and the WA73 (Neve 1073). Both are circuits I like, and despite the difference in price out there, here they're costing about the same. I know there are "better" (or costier, at least) equipment, but I can't invest much more than that for now.

So, for those of you who have been using Warm Audio gear past all these months, what are your thoughts? Are they still holding their own?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ogre ➡️
Hey guys, a bump for a thread that is in sleep mode for a few months.

…. Are they still holding their own?
Yes. Definitely yes.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My Wa-73eq and WA-251 still going strong!

Super happy with sound and everything.

I was a bit worried about Warm audio gear based on internet noise about reliability but now I am glad that I did go this route. Maybe I am just lucky.
📝 Reply