The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buzz Audio DBC20 (or M) vs RND 535
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I sold my DBC-20 because I found it too bright in the upper mids on the two buss for my productions. I liked it for OH, Piano, and adding presence to things like Electric Guitar. Beautiful control with really defined attack and release times. It does the diode bridge thing where the transients are not so much shaved off, but sizzled in a frying pan. But it does it with just one smallish transformer on the output making transient attack lightning quick. In many ways I think of it like a poor man's 33609. Diode bridge juice and liveliness but without thick British trafos.

But it had this slightly brightish tilt to the box tone in the upper mids. Yes very polished and expensive sounding, but too bright to throw on the master buss of a tune with Acoustic Guitar, knowing said tune will soon be played on laptop speakers. For other genres, I could see how it might actually be their 33609. If I didn't use Acoustic Guitar so much in my rock productions, or if I had more money for a bunch of different flavored stereo comps, I would have kept it. Super well built and all thru hole components inside.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hello dear longplate,

I never had the impression that the unit was too bright. It doesn't have the mud and over-colouring of a carnhill, of course. But for overheads, electric guitars, acoustic guitars and vocals it is a super device. But I only use the DBC-20 for mixing.

Maybe you are right that it is similar to a 33609 (or even zener by chandler?). Because I had an AML ez2254 that had that thick tone, but I never liked the release and I didn't like the attack either. On toms it was sometimes nice. Mostly, however, the control behaviour was not top notch. I sold the ez2254 even I liked the knobs, the designs.....

But the DBC_20 is much more versatile. I had a Distressor and behind it the DBC_20, so I could try out for a while which comp I liked better. The Distressor lost almost every time because the DBC_20 had a nicer colour and the control behaviour was better. In addition, there are of course two BT50 Eqs from CAPI running in the chain before the DBC-20, which have enough colour.

I think you will miss the DBC_20 one day, because it would be easy to put two thicker transformers in there that have more colour. There are technicians who can do that. Maybe @ Tim Farrant coult tell us, if there is another option. I would go for a Sowter, Cinemag or Lundahl. I always had the impression that Carnhills were too thick and not fast enough. Too cosy.

In general, the buzzaudio brand is a bit overlooked. The price is unbeatable for the performance. I also like the idea of having something that not everyone has apart from the mainstream.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I never had the impression that the unit was too bright. It doesn't have the mud and over-colouring of a carnhill, of course.
Others do have the impression it's too bright. Your opinion is not the final word. If you strap this unit across the 2 buss on a track with acoustic guitar and can't hear that acoustic guitar brighten up, you need better monitors or better ears. There's no need to trash Carnhills as a whataboutism either. They're great transformers, legendary actually.

Quote:
I think you will miss the DBC_20 one day, because it would be easy to put two thicker transformers in there that have more colour.
Actually I won't. My stereo compression needs are sorted. You don't need to justify your purchasing decisions by claiming I'm going to regret my purchasing decisions when you know nothing at all about my setup or needs.

I do agree it's a great company and I also like the idea of having out of the mainstream products. It's just too bright of a unit for me based on how I track acoustic guitar and how much I use that instrument in my productions.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
DBC-20 is not “too bright” to my ears. If it adds a little subtle apparent presence this can be beneficial to some instruments or mixes. And far less than what is applied on an EQ many times!! I would say it’s balanced and the box tone/circuitry allows transients and full spectrum freq response through very nicely, which is why it’s so punchy when its compression is applied even deeply.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongPlate ➡️
I sold my DBC-20 because I found it too bright in the upper mids on the two buss for my productions.
I have a DBC-M and I definitely would not consider it bright by any means. It actually slightly darkens the top a tiny bit. I actually love using it on electric guitars because it's perfect for toning down that bright fizz that electrics always have in the upper mids and highs. A lot of times I don't even have to EQ that out after I run them through the DBC.

I wouldn't use it on masterbus for a bright, open pop song because of that darkening but for rock and rootsy / indie stuff, that slightly darker color on that stuff on masterbus is right at home.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What with this place providing necro thread shortcut links? Pretty sad for us and the image of the site itself.

Maybe INDICATE the thread is a NECRO with say, ...a dead body or dead face mask icon or something so the posters at least know.
📝 Reply