The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1176 - Too Many Options
Old 30th May 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
Audio-Scape.
After the demise of Mohog, I'm thinking that would be my first choice. Alternatively, a Hairball or maybe a used Mohog.
Old 30th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle ➡️
so after getting about 1/3 of the way through this epic thread, looking for some advice. a nice crunchy 1176 style pair/stereo that won't break the bank to help get me a nice crunchy drumbus (that's all I need it for, other bases covered, like 2 bus, and my music doesn't have vocals).

is it possible to do this well without needing to hit 1.5k usd? There's quite a few things in this category: serpent splice, igs volfram (or 500 series dual blue stripe, or perhaps even alter?), overstayer SFE, pair of hairball rev a (rack?). Wait for stam (any real estimates on time frame there)??

Seems nearly everyone makes a 500 series FET these days, but which are worth the cash for this and which aren't? Purple 500, Buzz? (btw, more color and more vintage are better for my sound).

Any suggestions as to other options, or what might be best? would prefer not to break the bank on this, cause I broke it already elsewhere!
Revive Audio has there own 76 just under $1,000. Similar origin story of the Purple. The company moded so many, they started making there own.
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have purple MC77. Also the 500 series splice. It’s very nice
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Get Slate Digital's 1176 Blue Stripe with Vintage Circuit 2. Its spot on and sounds indistinguishable to the hardware(its modeled on). May slightly vary with different units. With zero noise and wet/dry knob.

Get it.. Hands down its the best one.
Save precious money, use on infinite resources and make records !
Old 1st June 2019

🎧 5 years
I hear great things about the Audio-Scape 1176 A. I am going to receive my Stam Audio 1176 ADG very soon and it will be interesting to compare it to my Warm Audio 1176
Back to Audio-Scape. I own their G-Buss Compressor and it blows my UAD SSL Buss Comp Plugin out of the water. Its like the Audio-Scape site says.
Mix, meet GLUE.

Last edited by saltydog3317; 5th June 2019 at 03:02 PM..
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Nut

Just posted a shootout video between Hairball Rev A and two vintage Rev A's, as well as WA76 and two vintage Rev D's. Hopefully this helps someone with their decisions. I have to say, the Hairball was a blast to build!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhHWPwCAXU0
Old 15th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog3317 ➡️
I hear great things about the Audio-Scape 1176 A. I am going to receive my Stam Audio 1176 ADG very soon and it will be interesting to compare it to my Warm Audio 1176
Back to Audio-Scape. I own their G-Buss Compressor and it blows my UAD SSL Buss Comp Plugin out of the water. Its like the Audio-Scape site says.
Mix, meet GLUE.
So... how do you like/compare your STAM to the others ?
Old 22nd October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone have a Slate Dragon they can run that drum loop through, on some really aggressive settings? I'm personally interested to know what is the extent of texture that can be added with it. I've had the Serpent and I liked the Rev A output and input options the best. I dig the tone, but... it was a bit too noisy for my taste. If I could get the texture without the noise, that would be a dream come true. Paul and Dr. Bill don't seem to have a problem with noise, but I could definitely notice it on my particular unit, which was the 19" rack, btw.

So, anyone out there have some time and a Slate Dragon?
Old 17th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Campbell ➡️
Original 1176 was meant to work into a 600 ohm load and exhibits overshoot and ringing if the output is not terminated. I've seen this with rev D and F.
I also have a Hairball Blue Stripe and it does not react this way, not sure why must be the transformer design. I would guess the Pro Replicas don't either as they have Ed Anderson transformers as well. Curious to know how some others would behave on the 'scope.
I have two Proreplicas with original utc input and 5002 output transformer. My other gear is all modern. After reading this, I ve made xlr cable with 680 ohm resistor between pin2 and 3. They always sounded little hyped/dirty in the topend. With the resistor it sound more natural/right to my ears. I can highly recommend this!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1176 output termination

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZ RECORDING ➡️
little hyped/dirty in the topend.
whatever makes you happy.

1176f, sn 60xx
no gain reduction.

Frequency Response @ +4 dBm output
10 Hz: -2.8 dB
20 Hz: -1.0 dB
100 Hz: -0.2 dB
1000 Hz: 0 dB (reference)
10 kHz: +0.2 dB
20 kHz: 0 dB
30 kHz: -0.9 dB

Frequency Response @ +4 dBu output (un-terminated)
10 Hz: +0.3 dB
20 Hz: -0.2 dB
100 Hz: 0 dB
1000 Hz: 0 dB (output rises 1.2 dB relative to terminated condition)
10 kHz: +0.4 dB
20 kHz: +0.65 dB
30 kHz: +0.65 dB
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode ➡️
whatever makes you happy.

1176f, sn 60xx
no gain reduction.

Frequency Response @ +4 dBm output
10 Hz: -2.8 dB
20 Hz: -1.0 dB
100 Hz: -0.2 dB
1000 Hz: 0 dB (reference)
10 kHz: +0.2 dB
20 kHz: 0 dB
30 kHz: -0.9 dB

Frequency Response @ +4 dBu output (un-terminated)
10 Hz: +0.3 dB
20 Hz: -0.2 dB
100 Hz: 0 dB
1000 Hz: 0 dB (output rises 1.2 dB relative to terminated condition)
10 kHz: +0.4 dB
20 kHz: +0.65 dB
30 kHz: +0.65 dB
Hey
I didnt do any measurements, but only tested it with a vocal file. Its not a big difference for sure, but since its an easy and cheap modification, I'm happy about the little improvement.
Old 17th December 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From the manual:
“If the Model 1178LN output is connected to a high impedance circuit, we recommend shunting the ‘output’ terminals with a 620 ohm. 1/2 watt resistor. This assures optimum loading.”

The HF ringing if not passively damped will be past on to the following amplifier increasing IMD.
Gear Head

Quote:
From the manual:
“If the Model 1178LN output is connected to a high impedance circuit, we recommend shunting the ‘output’ terminals with a 620 ohm. 1/2 watt resistor. This assures optimum loading.”

The HF ringing if not passively damped will be past on to the following amplifier increasing IMD.
Do you know if the watt value is important? Mine are 1 watt.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZ RECORDING ➡️
Do you know if the watt value is important? Mine are 1 watt.
More power handling is fine; less power handling could be a problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1176 termination

Quote:
From the manual:

lets see some proof of this alleged IMD.

shall we assume un-terminated mic preamp input transformers cause IMD in following stages ?

if so, then it might be good judging the sonics of 50's and early 60's recordings.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
More power handling is fine; less power handling could be a problem.
thx!
Old 18th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode ➡️
lets see some proof of this alleged IMD.
This from Steve Hogan former VP of engineering at Jensen Transformers “The high frequency ringing, if passed on to the following amplifier stage will ask the amplifier to follow the high frequency garbage precisely, and the amplifier has little feedback and running out of slew rate at those frequencies.  The amplifier, as a result, ends up putting out significantly more ugly intermod distortion."
📝 Reply