The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pendulum Quartet. Feedback pls....
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Pendulum Quartet. Feedback pls....

I hear lots of good things about the Pendulum stuff......
Is there anybody out there that´s been using the Quartet or their compressors??

Old 18th October 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I use the Pendulum Quartet daily, and I have to say it gives stellar performance. What specifically would you like to know?
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Nathan;

Micpre: How does it sound? I have been using the Voxbox a lot, so that´s my reference.
EQ: sweet, harsch?
Comp: How´s the knee sounding. Is it fast enough for tracking vocals? (the Manley is not)

I record mostly vocals, bass & acoustic Martin guitar.

/Thanks man...
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Preamp is very open and large sounding. It's clean, but has a silky character especially in the high frequencies. The EQ has the same type of quality as the preamp, lots of headroom too. Yes, the compressor is plenty fast enough for vocals. IMO, it's not the attack time in general that is the problem on some Opto's, it is the program dependent release time that is often too slow. The compressor will still be resetting to zero and the singer is 4 words into the line past the compressors release time. You should be able to control this with your Voxbox easily on the first 3:1 section. Try medium attack, fast release and see what happens. In a way this is a good rule of thumb anyway, use a little while tracking and a little in post during mix and things will turn out really quite well. The Pendulum has a fast, RMS, and vintage setting each one reacts differently to the audio and covers 99.9% of what you could throw at it. Remember, being an Opto it still retains the airy relatively transparent quality that I have personally found Opto's to have.
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My experience with opto compressors is that they are to slow when recording vocals. The volyme rises up and then down when the compressor starts to work. (if you know what i mean). The Cranesong Trakker is a good example how a compressor should sound when it starts to compress.
However, the trakker is very clean. Would be cool with a tube compressor thats fast enough and get the sound of it.....

Old 18th October 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
That's because they don't treat the audio in a linear fashion...that's partially what makes the Pendulum so special...with it's non conventional RMS and Peak settings.
Old 21st October 2002
member no 666

🎧 15 years
With the "time constant presets" on the Pendulum "Quartet", you can make it as fast or slow, as noticable or seamless as you'd like. The compression section has a ton of options... so much like I wouldn't give much credence to the myth of a "tube sound", I wouldn't give much credence to the myth that opto based compressors have to be "slow".

Many are, some aren't.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…