Quantcast
Audio-technica ATH-M50(x) Hinge Repair - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio-technica ATH-M50(x) Hinge Repair
Old 7th March 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Audio-technica ATH-M50(x) Hinge Repair

I'm just shooting this out there incase anyone has broken the tiny piece of plastic that locks the ear piece in place from being folded. To me this seems to be a major design flaw. Why have a plastic/metal reinforced headband, if the part that keeps them in place is basically a tooth pick. I've made a quick fix for this that involves the use of tie wraps (NO TOOLS NEEDED) ( I also did the video quick at work if people have difficulty understanding ill redo it). I will post a picture of the achilles heel on these cans. And a two minute fix that doesn't look bad and has lasted months with no signs of wear. Let me know if I posted this in the wrong section. Thank you!

https://youtu.be/kZuN4x6eLCg (after repair)
Attached Thumbnails
Audio-technica ATH-M50(x) Hinge Repair-350x263px-ll-adba4c22_dsc_00021.jpeg  
Old 7th March 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
You could try smaller tie wraps (to looks cosmetically more appealing), I just used what I had available. I'd imagine the bigger ones being definitely stronger though.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I drilled a small hole and put a fat, short screw in to stop it in the right postion. So far it's holding up OK.
Old 7th March 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➑️
I drilled a small hole and put a fat, short screw in to stop it in the right postion. So far it's holding up OK.
Yea, that is a great way also, but not everyone has a drill handy. This is basically fool proof. Also I like the fact because being black this repair isn't that noticeable. I personally would just replace the whole arm before drilling, I think
I saw the part online for about 30 USD. This is a repair guide for those that 1) aren't very good with tools 2) Need them repaired in an instant.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Oh, cool, I didn't know you could buy those kinds of parts for these headphones. That might be my next move.
Old 7th March 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yea, but I almost feel as if that will be useless because until these stay studio bound only, they're going to break again eventually(poor design). I should've saved my money and bought the M40s. Folding headphones are just well ..... too many pieces to break. Simplicity is key for almost everything. These days we have hundreds of sensors in cars, which is great and have their advantages, but that's just hundreds of more things to break.
Old 30th August 2018
Here for the gear

Sorry to bump and old thread, but I wanted to add another solution...

I had the same problem so I developed a part that clips onto and around the hinge and replaces the plastic tab that all too often breaks. What I like about this solution is that installation takes about 30 seconds and there is no disassembly, drilling, or gluing. After installation, the headphones feel like new.

I want to make this available to others that have a need:
If you have a 3D printer you can make it at home, here is the part download: 3D Printed ATH-M50X Hinge Repair
Or if you want to buy a kit of two with screws: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Hinge Repair Kit | eBay
Old 25th November 2020
Here for the gear

Just Done a repair myself using tie wraps.

I used some small ones that came with some computer parts. Same kind of deal, but each pair of tie wraps is to create resistance on the hingle itself.

It turns it into a "friction lock" of some sort, but still allows movement. Works quite well. Better than the alternative.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…