The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann KMS 150 vs. KMS 105
Old 14th March 2007
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Neumann KMS 150 vs. KMS 105

Can anybody tell me the difference between these 2 microphones? Thanks a lot.

Art
Old 9th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bump!

I know this is old but I had the same question today. So, instead of starting a new thread...I'm diggin' up the oldies.
Old 9th April 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bump!

I know this is old but I had the same question today. So, instead of starting a new thread...I'm diggin' up the oldies.
Old 12th April 2021
Here for the gear

The KMS150 is part of the discontinued modular km100 series and uses the same interchangeable AK50 hypercardiod capsule as the KM150 SDC. It has a permanent low cut plus additional switchable low cut and 10db pad.

The KMS105 is a newer, less expensive version with a fixed capsule. Neumann says it is Supercardoid. I don't know how the pattern differs from the 150.
It has a permanent low-cut engaged and no built in pad.

I own a KMS140 (the cardioid version of the KMS150) and have used the KMS104 a handful of times. I have not compared them directly on the same sources but my impression is that the 140 has a smoother sound. I have found the KMS104 can be very hard sounding in the upper mids with certain vocalists. It sounds like either the amp is slightly distorting or perhaps some kind of resonance? I have not had these issues with the KMS140 but again, i have not compared them directly.

I also have a pair of KM140's which I love. I believe Neumann says they are basically the same as the current KM184 but I think they sound better. You can find many threads here discussing KM140 vs KM184.

-Matt
📝 Reply