The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
3U-Audio GZ67fet vs which Warbler ??
Old 18th December 2016
  #1
Gear Nut
 
73mk2's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
3U-Audio GZ67fet vs which Warbler ??

Hi,
I love the GZ67fet, but don't need for the 3 patterns choice... Only the cardioid pattern, as proposed by the Warbler series.

But somebody knows what is the Warbler model the closest ?
Old 18th December 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I'd say Warbler VI in position 2.

But the proof is in the pudding.
Old 18th December 2016 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Nut
 
73mk2's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato ➑️
I'd say Warbler VI in position 2.

But the proof is in the pudding.
OK, thanks legato !
Other users could confirm ?
Old 18th December 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I'll add that the GZ is a step up, regardless of patterns.
Old 18th December 2016 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Nut
 
73mk2's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato ➑️
I'll add that the GZ is a step up, regardless of patterns.
Ok, but I insist on the fact I'll use only one pattern for my voice... Cardioid is my friend inside my opened homestudio !
So do you think the GZ67fet with is cardioid pattern engaged will sound exactly the same than Warbler VI ?
Old 18th December 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Nope.
Old 18th December 2016
  #7
Gear Nut
 
73mk2's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
It has the merit of being clear!
You think there is no Warbler that exactly matches the GZ67fet with its cardioid setting ?
Only the mark VI approaches it, without really matching it, that's right ?
Old 18th December 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Yeah it's a different animal than the Warblers. Different transformer and some other circuit tweaks. I think legato' probably right about the VI in voice position 2 since the GZ67 is a little airier than the MKI.
Old 18th December 2016
  #9
Gear Nut
 
73mk2's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Ok thanks.
To resume, if I want the sound of the gz, I buy the gz ! It's so simple in fact...
Old 18th December 2016
  #10
Gear Nut
 
73mk2's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
To help the undecided ones like me, here's a list established by Guosheng Zhuang himself, from 3u-Audio, resuming the spirit of each mic :

"Below mics have reduced sibilance design :

Warbler (also called Warbler I), Warbler MKID and GZ67fet
Warbler MKII, Warbler MKIID and GZ47fet
GZ47fet V

Below is my description for LDC mics:

Warbler (also called Warbler I), Warbler MKID and GZ67fet: airy, sounds like vintage U87
Warbler MKII, Warbler MKIID and GZ47fet: smooth and balanced, sounds like vintage U47fet
GZ47fet V: smoother top end than GZ47fet
Warbler MKIII, Warbler MKIIID and GZ12fet: warm and bright, sounds like vintage C12
Warbler MKIV, Warbler MKIVD and GZ251fet: warm and airy, sounds like vintage ELAM251
Warbler MKV: warm and smooth, a little tight, sounds like smoother or darker ELAM251
Warbler MKVI and Warbler MKVID: bright for modern music, sounds like vintage U87 too"
Old 18th December 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It's totally ok to own a product and not use all of its features. I own an apogee duet, but since I got a custom preamp built for me I no longer use the built-in pres. The unit still perfectly meets my needs. And there may come a time later on where you might use a different polar pattern.
Old 18th December 2016
  #12
Gear Nut
 
73mk2's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Yes of course, but for me, the question of price is also important ... the difference between a Warbler and a gz is about 3x ! Even if the gz price is very reasonable...
Old 18th December 2016 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73mk2 ➑️
Yes of course, but for me, the question of price is also important ... the difference between a Warbler and a gz is about 3x ! Even if the gz price is very reasonable...
More like 2x. The cardioid only Warbler is $270, the GZ67Fet is $599.

They're both very nice mics. If budget is an issue, grab the Warbler. It's a great mic.
Old 18th December 2016
  #14
Gear Nut
 
73mk2's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Yes, 2x you're right...
But the GZ seems so great... I think I'll go to it !
Old 21st May 2017 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
NamelessUnknown's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Maybe something a little more practical...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73mk2 ➑️
Below is my description for LDC mics:

Warbler (also called Warbler I), Warbler MKID and GZ67fet: airy, sounds like vintage U87
Warbler MKII, Warbler MKIID and GZ47fet: smooth and balanced, sounds like vintage U47fet
GZ47fet V: smoother top end than GZ47fet
Warbler MKIII, Warbler MKIIID and GZ12fet: warm and bright, sounds like vintage C12
Warbler MKIV, Warbler MKIVD and GZ251fet: warm and airy, sounds like vintage ELAM251
Warbler MKV: warm and smooth, a little tight, sounds like smoother or darker ELAM251
Warbler MKVI and Warbler MKVID: bright for modern music, sounds like vintage U87 too"
These mics are always compared to u87s, 251s, c800s, etc.... I find these comparisons practically worthless since I am not in the market for a $4000+ mic.

I assume I'm not alone here?

Conventional wisdom would suggest that a more helpful/practical comparison would be between other mics in a similar price point, and there usability in a mix. Has anyone had an opportunity to use these warblers side by side with some of the more well known products like an AT 4033, 4047, AKG c214, Shure ksm32, ksm44, Rode nt1a, nt2, Blue baby bottle, etc...

And don't give me any sh** about price doesn't matter. Yes, some mics perform better than their price suggests, but let's be real here: Price does matter to anyone with limited resources or on a budget.

So bang for buck, how do the warblers stack up?

?
Old 22nd May 2017 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown ➑️
These mics are always compared to u87s, 251s, c800s, etc.... I find these comparisons practically worthless since I am not in the market for a $4000+ mic.

I assume I'm not alone here?

Conventional wisdom would suggest that a more helpful/practical comparison would be between other mics in a similar price point, and there usability in a mix. Has anyone had an opportunity to use these warblers side by side with some of the more well known products like an AT 4033, 4047, AKG c214, Shure ksm32, ksm44, Rode nt1a, nt2, Blue baby bottle, etc...

And don't give me any sh** about price doesn't matter. Yes, some mics perform better than their price suggests, but let's be real here: Price does matter to anyone with limited resources or on a budget.

So bang for buck, how do the warblers stack up?

?
I've owned every mic on your list except the NT2 and have a lot of experience with the 3U mics. I think they're, on the whole, better mics than any of those. That said, I also still like the 4033, 4047 and Baby Bottle.

Also, the reason people compare them to classic mics is to get an idea of their voicing. If someone posts "it's kind of Baby Bottle flavored with a little bit of 4033 and a top end reminiscent of an NT2" no one will have any idea what you're talking about because those aren't widely known touchstone sonics.
Old 23rd May 2017
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
NamelessUnknown's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Thanks for the response.

My point was, I doubt many in the market for a $300 mic have much experience with a $10,000 mic. But we all get googly eyed over the thought of them , so comparisons make for great marketing. I'm not interested in that, but I am interested in these mics. Would you mind indulging me a little further with your experience? Which warblers have you used and what did you like about them relative to the shure or akg mics?
Old 23rd May 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
For what it's worth I wish I would of gotten the warbler 1 to start. The warbler 6 is a awesome mic but imo it's overly bright. I don't know what kind of voice you have but if you have a higher sounding voice, I'd look to the warbler 1 or 2. But if you still the fancy the 6, I am currently selling mine. In the market to try a Warbler 2 or 5.
Old 12th May 2018
  #19
Here for the gear
 
Bought the Warbler Mk VI, going through Audient id14 into Ableton Live 9, in my laptop setup and it is so much noisier than my Rode NT1-A.

Is it possibly too much of a mic for my setup?
Old 12th May 2018 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
BrentA's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaterhornbill ➑️
Bought the Warbler Mk VI, going through Audient id14 into Ableton Live 9, in my laptop setup and it is so much noisier than my Rode NT1-A.

Is it possibly too much of a mic for my setup?
I'd be surprised if the noise is coming from the Warbler itself. They have pretty low self noise. I've got a Warbler VI here and no noise issues with it.
Old 12th May 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Yeah that’s either gain staging or something wrong with the mic. All the Warblers I’ve used are quiet.
Old 12th May 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Pardon my ignorance but are these mics available through ebay stores only?
Old 12th May 2018 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama ➑️
Pardon my ignorance but are these mics available through ebay stores only?
3U? The best way is to just email the owner. You'll get the best price and availability info. Pretty much everyone buys them that way, direct from Guosheng.
Old 12th May 2018 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaterhornbill ➑️
Bought the Warbler Mk VI, going through Audient id14 into Ableton Live 9, in my laptop setup and it is so much noisier than my Rode NT1-A.

Is it possibly too much of a mic for my setup?
I really doubt that's the problem, but it's possible that your new mic just has a higher output than what you're used to, so you might have to turn your gain down or even use a pad.
Old 12th May 2018 | Show parent
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
phantompower9's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama ➑️
Pardon my ignorance but are these mics available through ebay stores only?

No, they are dealer direct, here is the link to contact GZ about purchasing one of his mics. They are cheaper when you contact him directly instead of purchsing through eBay due to their fees. GZ is very prompt in regards to returning emails. Tell him what you desire then he will send you a PayPal link with cost and payment instructions. I am in Nashville and if I remember it took about 9 working days to get 2 mics.

3U Audio Microphones,Condenser Microphones
Old 13th May 2018 | Show parent
  #26
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➑️
Yeah that’s either gain staging or something wrong with the mic. All the Warblers I’ve used are quiet.
Cheers for replies guys,
Having to keep the gain below half when recording to limit the noise, but even then the vocals sound slightly distorted and there is visible noise in the silence of the waveforms when I play them back.

Have contacted Audient for advice, but maybe I need to contact 3U now.
Old 13th May 2018 | Show parent
  #27
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic ➑️
I really doubt that's the problem, but it's possible that your new mic just has a higher output than what you're used to, so you might have to turn your gain down or even use a pad.
Thanks for your answer, My old KB37 from Line 6, that the Audient replaced had a pad but the iD14 does not seem to do this. Any tips for a songwriter who records rather than an engineer haha!

Last edited by Greaterhornbill; 13th May 2018 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: Error in description
Old 15th July 2021
  #28
Here for the gear
 
U3 warbler mk6

I'm looking to upgrade my modded mxl v67 I have a new circuit and capsule from AA Dave Thomas recommended the mic sounds good but I need something more modern sounding for hip hop R&B pop stuff like that how would the 3u warbler mk6 compare to the c800g anyone have samples please help thanks
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1253 views: 300436
Avatar for Drummer406
Drummer406 3 days ago
replies: 6576 views: 875046
Avatar for radio_death_wish
radio_death_wish 3 days ago
replies: 56 views: 14353
Avatar for TMOQuantity
TMOQuantity 15th November 2020
replies: 1 views: 879
Avatar for Genesis1
Genesis1 16th March 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump