Quantcast
Max Martin / Shellback Gear - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Max Martin / Shellback Gear
Old 16th December 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Max Martin / Shellback Gear

Can anyone spot the gear here?
Synths : Oberheim, Moon, Juno 106?
Preamps : v76 pair?
Comps: La2a, Distressors
Monitors : NS10, ATCs?
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Max Martin / Shellback Gear-img_0548.jpg   Max Martin / Shellback Gear-img_0549.jpg   Max Martin / Shellback Gear-img_0551.jpg   Max Martin / Shellback Gear-img_0552.jpg   Max Martin / Shellback Gear-img_0553.jpg  

Max Martin / Shellback Gear-img_0554.jpg  
Old 17th December 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Prophet 5, Solina String Ensemble.
Old 17th December 2016
  #3
8070
Guest
Knowing what gear was involved won't make you more like Max Martin.
Old 17th December 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'm quite surprised at the retro gear. I would have expected plug ins and a DI guitar.
Old 17th December 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
pink lampshade..
Old 17th December 2016 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by desol ➑️
Knowing what gear was involved won't make you more like Max Martin.
Words of wisdom appreciated.
However, No one is looking to be like Max Martin (in fact that's the wrong thing to do), but hopefully pick up hints that could also be tools in what one does.
Getting back to original question, can you spot the pieces?
Old 17th December 2016 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➑️
I'm quite surprised at the retro gear. I would have expected plug ins and a DI guitar.
Absolutely! That's what I was leaning towards! Also organic pieces.
Is that an Apogee Bigben as well?
Old 17th December 2016
  #8
8070
Guest
Oh...I was just figuring that you might have liked him, seeing as there's a bunch of pictures of him and his name is on the title of the thread. I noticed that many people idolize him around here. It's pretty common place.
Old 17th December 2016
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Paul_G's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Call me presumptuous but being a Scandinavian Heavy Rocker with a vague understanding of pop R&B culture and a GREAT ear for hooks are probably the key ingredients.
I don't think any of that gear makes a difference to what is coming out the other end. Probably just makes it more gratifying to write "Swiftly".
Old 17th December 2016
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
Amphibian's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I see Dangerous Audio. I see maracas, tambourine, shakers. I see the new Mellotron. Knowing this won't help you though... Your question is like asking what brand of sheets Donald Trump sleeps on... Who cares? These guys can whip anything into a hit, because having a hit has only a small part to do with the actual music, even less the sound. MM's songs are usually mixed by Serban and Michael Ilbert, none of those outboards are ever used for mixing. MM is also mostly a topliner. He does very little work on the actual backing track... my 2 cents.
Old 19th December 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Guys please come on, stop with the philosophical advise on how talented he is. That's not my question. I'm looking to basically have a closer look at all the gear here. Including Maracas. It shows a lot about a person.
The most important observation is actually the limited space (small working area) they work in. I find that makes things very intimate during collaboration.
I actually write and produce with someone who is actually on a higher platform that Max (oh the heads turn lol) as an all time songwriter, so this was actually to see parallels in behavior, which translates to sound and gear and working environment.
Thanks for those who actually spelled out the gear and answered my question. Appreciate it.
Old 26th December 2016
  #12
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
I would like to see the video the screen captures are from.

Thanks
Old 26th December 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
of course people are free to respond to anything how they like so go ahead and miss the basic question but I just want to share sympathy with the OP at how ANNOYING and LAME it is when you ask something and people don't answer the question but instead have to size their manhood up by barraging you with unrelated advice about how your question is irrelevant and invalid. It's pretty poopy and tells a lot about someone's character.

So OP I'm with you

Would love to find out more also.
Old 27th December 2016 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Addict
 
Tomdavids's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by desol ➑️
Knowing what gear was involved won't make you more like Max Martin.
there comes a time in every slutz life where he or she realizes its not the gear, its the slut. that is a great moment...
Old 27th December 2016 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdavids ➑️
there comes a time in every slutz life where he or she realizes its not the gear, its the slut. that is a great moment...
Whilst I agree with you and the above statement?i also think it's the biggest amount of bs line I've heard since Christmas!
Max Martin's sound was technology influenced. 84 wasn't play an acoustic instrument and live with it. If you ever get a chance to analyze his sessions, the technology that influenced the track making and sounding is a huge part of the record.
Whilst I want to agree with you about songs (my writing partner is actually way above Max in Rollingstones all time writers) and I agree with the idea that one comes in with a hit and leaves with a hit, but most of Max's songs are influenced by the track and sound as well.
Old 27th December 2016 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Addict
 
Tomdavids's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➑️
Whilst I agree with you and the above statement?i also think it's the biggest amount of bs line I've heard since Christmas!
Max Martin's sound was technology influenced. 84 wasn't play an acoustic instrument and live with it. If you ever get a chance to analyze his sessions, the technology that influenced the track making and sounding is a huge part of the record.
Whilst I want to agree with you about songs (my writing partner is actually way above Max in Rollingstones all time writers) and I agree with the idea that one comes in with a hit and leaves with a hit, but most of Max's songs are influenced by the track and sound as well.

In today's age, everyone's music is technology influenced. Doesn't mean we're reliant on gear to sing for us.

There was a time where all I would do was focus on the next piece of gear in hopes that it would give me that "pro" sound.

Technically, digital is blowing away hardware these days. The magic is in the player/writer. has nothing at all to do with gear.
Old 27th December 2016 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdavids ➑️
In today's age, everyone's music is technology influenced. Doesn't mean we're reliant on gear to sing for us.

There was a time where all I would do was focus on the next piece of gear in hopes that it would give me that "pro" sound.

Technically, digital is blowing away hardware these days. The magic is in the player/writer. has nothing at all to do with gear.
Whilst you are on your roll on prophecizing about "digital blowing a way hardware" these days, :9 you have any constructive thoughts on my question on the original post?
I'm also assuming you had some chart hits as a producer/writer by making those broad statements and giving advise like you are about songwriting
Old 27th December 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Showcase's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Pair of V72 too it seems
Old 1st January 2017
  #19
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Again..

Sequential circuits prophet 5. Oberheim big one. Ns 10 pro ac studio. Distressor. 1176 urei black, silver, ua anniversary. La2a vintage. Telefunken v76. Distressor. Pro tools hdx. Guasasky 15k$ monitor (atc mid) big bass 1kw amp. Tambourine. Summing tonelux. Pultrc eqp1 vintage..and a lot of things that is on rack on and off from the room. Here above you have maratone. And the new wolf cousin (tove lo ecc..) it s not the gear..it s the idea and the confidence. And don t miss the hit lamp
Old 27th August 2017 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea19837 ➑️
Again..

Sequential circuits prophet 5. Oberheim big one. Ns 10 pro ac studio. Distressor. 1176 urei black, silver, ua anniversary. La2a vintage. Telefunken v76. Distressor. Pro tools hdx. Guasasky 15k$ monitor (atc mid) big bass 1kw amp. Tambourine. Summing tonelux. Pultrc eqp1 vintage..and a lot of things that is on rack on and off from the room. Here above you have maratone. And the new wolf cousin (tove lo ecc..) it s not the gear..it s the idea and the confidence. And don t miss the hit lamp
Lol thanks. Appreciate it.
Curious to know what monitors you feel Max Martin mostly uses when working on tracks. Again, I agree and know it's not the gear. I've had some decent credits myself and most of the big payday jobs were done on an Akai 25 mini key midi controller but just trying to narrow down a few critical pieces he maybe using.
Cheers
Old 28th August 2017 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➑️
Lol thanks. Appreciate it.
Curious to know what monitors you feel Max Martin mostly uses when working on tracks. Again, I agree and know it's not the gear. I've had some decent credits myself and most of the big payday jobs were done on an Akai 25 mini key midi controller but just trying to narrow down a few critical pieces he maybe using.
Cheers
Several videos on YouTube with Max Martin in studios across decades with one common thing seen in all of them being NS10's

https://youtu.be/Zi0QYG_3XDc 1998


https://youtu.be/OX9ygy-V-8w 2010


https://youtu.be/-9MpO2TzUEU 2016

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...hq-HbRwWinoncQ


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...HhgVDXc_HgLbJg
Old 30th August 2017 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasntbeen ➑️
Several videos on YouTube with Max Martin in studios across decades with one common thing seen in all of them being NS10's

https://youtu.be/Zi0QYG_3XDc 1998


https://youtu.be/OX9ygy-V-8w 2010


https://youtu.be/-9MpO2TzUEU 2016

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...hq-HbRwWinoncQ


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...HhgVDXc_HgLbJg
Thanks so much!! Appreciate the information and links/pics. This has me curious as to how much of the NS10s he may have used for creating music vs tracking/editing vocals and mixing (when he used to mix as well)
Creating 'beats' on NS10s may set up the frequency array well and then maybe he used the other mains or whatever to listen loudly to see how it works in a club situation or just vibe....
Old 30th August 2017
  #23
Lives for gear
 
horseface's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Are you Max Martin yet?
Old 30th August 2017 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➑️
Are you Max Martin yet?
No and I'm not a horse yet. Btw what are your credits? Seems like you are a preacher. Can you back it up?
Old 30th August 2017
  #25
Lives for gear
 
horseface's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
How about now?
Old 30th August 2017 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➑️
How about now?
I am so sorry your life is miserable and you are exactly who you are. Thanks for the constructive input. Have a nice day!
Old 30th August 2017 | Show parent
  #27
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➑️
Thanks so much!! Appreciate the information and links/pics. This has me curious as to how much of the NS10s he may have used for creating music vs tracking/editing vocals and mixing (when he used to mix as well)
Creating 'beats' on NS10s may set up the frequency array well and then maybe he used the other mains or whatever to listen loudly to see how it works in a club situation or just vibe....
No problem! I had researched Max not long ago, from the viewpoint of being a songwriter myself, seeking a bit of insight into his methods, so was aware of videos with him in the studio..i could swear I saw a lengthy one where he was working in studio on one of the Backstreet Boys early hits but couldn't locate it again unfortunately!
Your thought around his monitoring work flow make a lot of sense, different monitors for different immediate needs and the NS10's no doubt are his trusted go to's for a specific need, tracking seems most likely as you suggested.

The negative comments on this thread are just ridiculous, yet so typical of internet forums. Certainly even Max himself didn't discover NS10's, for example, were so useful for mixing, but producers he admired used them. It's perfectly valid to be curious about what consistently successful people do to be that way, in any endeavour in life.
Old 30th August 2017 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasntbeen ➑️
No problem! I had researched Max not long ago, from the viewpoint of being a songwriter myself, seeking a bit of insight into his methods, so was aware of videos with him in the studio..i could swear I saw a lengthy one where he was working in studio on one of the Backstreet Boys early hits but couldn't locate it again unfortunately!
Your thought around his monitoring work flow make a lot of sense, different monitors for different immediate needs and the NS10's no doubt are his trusted go to's for a specific need, tracking seems most likely as you suggested.
This also really eliminates (at least in my mind and probably many others) that NS10s are mostly a mixing speaker. They are all the above!
The negative comments on this thread are just ridiculous, yet so typical of internet forums. Certainly even Max himself didn't discover NS10's, for example, were so useful for mixing, but producers he admired used them. It's perfectly valid to be curious about what consistently successful people do to be that way, in any endeavour in life.
Thanks so much for your thoughts and research means a lot. It's great validation as to the genius that he is.
Appreciate you re negative comments as well. I'm a songwriter myself and produce music and have my go-to engineer for mixing, so these types of work flow related inputs as well as gear used always helps with improving on the craft.
Speaking of Max's team, Max says he learned a lot from Denniz. In fact, Denniz I think set the creative and business platform well for Max to take off from. Max then continued to work hard. I've been great friends with Herbie (who was part of the original crew of Dennis, Herbie and Max) and I probably could ask Herbie for all the early studio operations (and when I do I'll let you know), but Herbie did drop some notes once to me a few years ago about the use of 909s, samplers, Se1, Junos etc for colors etc on their records. I didn't want to bug him but I'm sure he won't mind. Even Dr Alban's "away from home" recording has some amazing colors, besides being a cool song!
Anyways glad to be on the same page man. Please PM me especially cuz you are a songwriter! I have Billboard and Grammy credit myself but I enjoy roaming around GS for info and chats and have learned so much from amazing people here. One of the legends I befriended was Mike Shipley whom I met on here and we started working together before he passed away. He wanted to get Mutt involved on a project and was humble enough to ask me if it's ok to do so. I couldn't believe it!
Thanks again man!
Old 30th August 2017 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Btw, ever wondered what these monitors were?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasntbeen ➑️
Several videos on YouTube with Max Martin in studios across decades with one common thing seen in all of them being NS10's

https://youtu.be/Zi0QYG_3XDc 1998


https://youtu.be/OX9ygy-V-8w 2010


https://youtu.be/-9MpO2TzUEU 2016

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...hq-HbRwWinoncQ


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...HhgVDXc_HgLbJg
Attached Thumbnails
Max Martin / Shellback Gear-img_4299.jpg  
Old 30th August 2017 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➑️
Btw, ever wondered what these monitors were?
Haha I'd be impressed if anyone could identify them! They look just like my M-Audio CX8's actually... but I think they came 20 years later....
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 209 views: 46594
Avatar for ALESIS-ION
ALESIS-ION 6th December 2016
replies: 698 views: 245685
Avatar for EffinPoop
EffinPoop 3 weeks ago
replies: 64 views: 15088
Avatar for akashpmp
akashpmp 22nd March 2021
replies: 8741 views: 695061
Avatar for mrbump
mrbump 49 minutes ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump