The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klark Teknik Pultec Clone - EQP-KT
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Not a clear parts list. I mostly typed it in to mouser as I went. It’s easy enough to see all the parts clearly labeled.
Old 9th March 2021
Here for the gear

I recorded a cover with this unit.

Signal: WA-67 mic (Telefunken tube) -> WA12 mk2 pre (Gar OA10) -> KT-2A (Genalex Gold Lion, Black Lion Audio T4B) -> EQP-KT (Genalex Gold Lion) -> KT-76 -> UAD Twin X line-in
Effects chain: Softube Chandler Zener-Bender, UAD Capitol Chambers, Waves CLA Epic

https://clyp.it/famkup44?token=af6c8...36ae3e14a0b842

Thoughts?
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2dsf ➡️
I recorded a cover with this unit.

Signal: WA-67 mic (Telefunken tube) -> WA12 mk2 pre (Gar OA10) -> KT-2A (Genalex Gold Lion, Black Lion Audio T4B) -> EQP-KT (Genalex Gold Lion) -> KT-76 -> UAD Twin X line-in
Effects chain: Softube Chandler Zener-Bender, UAD Capitol Chambers, Waves CLA Epic

https://clyp.it/famkup44?token=af6c8...36ae3e14a0b842

Thoughts?
Did you do shootouts with the stock tubes vs the gen’s for the eqp-kt?
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Did you do shootouts with the stock tubes vs the gen’s for the eqp-kt?
I didn’t. They definitely sounded better though.
Old 26th March 2021
Here for the gear

Been toying with an idea of buyin a pair of these for my mixbuss. But I also have my eye on used Tl Audio Indigo EQ-2011 stereo valve equalizer. Anybody here that has used both and could have anything to say which one would suit better for that task?
Old 29th March 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
@ KyySounds my opinion (partly hypocritical) is for the TL Audio. My thoughts are in posts 2086-2090... I am not sure the Klark is a good buss EQ- although others love it. I just think it starts getting cost and space prohibitive. $1000- total and 4 rack spaces, vs the TL Audio ? $600- ? and 1 space gives much more bang for the buck. I also don't really think the TL is the best choice in this application, but is still a usable EQ for many applications.

I have a Klark and love it for tracking, just not a bus EQ for me. The hypocritical part... I removed my TL Audio Crimson EQ-3011 (solid state version of Indigo) to make room for my Klark.

Oddly enough while replying- the ad showing is for STAM Audio, previous years have reported very slow delivery times and ordering difficulties, but now there's a website, so maybe they have it set a little better? While solid state, the stereo 4000 series EQ looks tempting,
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 ➡️
Apologies for being a week late on this, but here's a guide for the Carnhill transformer mod.

I've laid it out the steps in parts a (general tips and prep), b (removing old trafos and installing new ones), and c (wiring), and then my impressions of the mod at the end. I've already given some before/after files in this thread, so check them out if you want to hear what it sounds like.

The transformers that I used were Carnhill VTB 2281 for both the input and output. I suppose you could use any 600:600 transformers. I got them from Audio Maintenance: http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acat...nded_info.html

If anything is unclear, I can update the guide. Or if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks to user Emi for doing the mod in the first place, and for providing the wiring info and photos.

Part a.
I recommend using an adjustable temperature soldering iron. The old input transformer is difficult to remove because there's a lot of solder on it and the pcb. So, a fairly large iron tip that gets really hot will allow you to heat up and remove most of the solder on the input transformer.

Use a solder sucker/pump to remove the old solder. You can look up videos for how to do this, and it's pretty straightforward. It will be a lot easier with a good sucker to get all that old solder off.

You'll need a metal drill bit and power drill to drill new holes in the hardware chassis to install the new transformers. Just make sure the screws that you use fit the new transformers, and match the drill bit size to screw size. I also used washers on each side of the screws to hold them in place.

Make sure to look at all the screws in the chassis to see what screwdrivers you need to disassemble the unit. There are a few different screw types from what I recall. There are a bunch of torx screws, so it's good to have a torx screwdriver set. Or bring the unit to the hardware store and find what screwdrivers you need if you don't already have them.

Part b.
The output transformer is easy to remove because you just need to unplug the pins and unscrew it (from what I remember). The input is much more difficult because it's mounted on a pcb. I removed this pcb so I could get to it on the bottom. Use the solder sucker to get as much solder off as you can.

I ended using a metal chisel to wedge between the bottom of the old input transformer and the pcb so that I could pry it out. There was no other way for me to get it out ... so you may need to do this as well.

Once the old transformers are out, you can see where you want to mount to the new transformers. You'll have to mount them on the wall of the chassis. You can see how Emi mounted his in the "overall" picture showing both transformers. I mounted mine slightly differently. It doesn't really matter. I tried to avoid getting to close to the power supply in case of noise issues.

Mark where you want to drill your holes and use the metal drill bit. This was a bit tricky if you're not super experienced, so be careful and get a second helping hand from someone else if you can! Mount the new transformers.

Part c.
Here's how you wire everything. Use the photos as a reference.

Input transformer:
Wire A
- red goes to pin 1
- white goes to pin 3
- bridge (connect) pin 2 and 4 on the transformer
Wire B
- red goes to pin 5
- white goes to pin 8
- bridge (connect) pin 6 and 7 on the transformer

Output transformer:
Wire C
- red goes to 4
- white goes to 3
Wire D
- red goes to pin 8
- white goes to pin 5
- silver (ground) goes to pin 6
- bridge pins 6 and 7
Wire E (feedback loop)
- red goes to pin 2
- white goes to pin 1

My impressions on the mod:
I really love the mod, and I've used these units a ton. They become a slight bit brighter, and the low end/low mids tighten up a bit. It's possible they measure less low mids, but I'm not really sure. The boxtone is a bit less "boring" to me and a bit more characterful than before, but this is really subjective anyway. This is just my impression by using my ears only.

I think the EQP is great even before the mod, so I'm not saying the mod is necessary at all. It's just a different sound, and a fun project if you like to tinker and try out new configurations.

I'm going to look into doing a sweep soon of the unit and frequency/THD plots. I'm not really sure how to do this yet, however, so I'll need to figure it out.
Thanks for sharing this! Works wonders when you replace a lot of the capacitors in this as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalCher ➡️
Thanks for sharing this! Works wonders when you replace a lot of the capacitors in this as well.
No problem! Did you do the transformer mod yourself too? I've thought about doing more "upgrades" with the EQP like the caps, but I've got other things to worry about at this time, alas. I'm curious to know if anyone else has gone through with the mod.

I've forgotten to test the EQPs with Carnhills with a sweep too. I've been redoing a mix room for months now, so my rack is just sitting unplugged in a different room for the time being. Anyone have good software recommendations for checking the transfer function through a piece of hardware? Maybe for frequency response, distortion, etc.? I can check it out once my mix room is intact.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
No problem! Did you do the transformer mod yourself too? I've thought about doing more "upgrades" with the EQP like the caps, but I've got other things to worry about at this time, alas. I'm curious to know if anyone else has gone through with the mod.

I've forgotten to test the EQPs with Carnhills with a sweep too. I've been redoing a mix room for months now, so my rack is just sitting unplugged in a different room for the time being. Anyone have good software recommendations for checking the transfer function through a piece of hardware? Maybe for frequency response, distortion, etc.? I can check it out once my mix room is intact.
Head straight away, forthwith, to Peterson Goodwyn's tutorials on the REW Room EQ Wizard software to test your gear, it was a game changer for me. There are three youtube videos and the software is free, you just have to register for the forum and learn the techniques. It's the DIY Recording Equipment YouTube channel.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
Head straight away, forthwith, to Peterson Goodwyn's tutorials on the REW Room EQ Wizard software to test your gear, it was a game changer for me. There are three youtube videos and the software is free, you just have to register for the forum and learn the techniques. It's the DIY Recording Equipment YouTube channel.
Excellent! Thank you. I use REW to measure my rooms. Didn't know you could measure hardware with it too. I'll get on it as soon as my rack is set back up.

Peterson is great too. I've built a couple of his kits and ordered LTL modules from his site.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:

Yes I replaced the transformers myself. Your info was a huge help. So thanks for that. I shared on a couple diy Facebook groups. Had a lot of diy guys interested.
I first replaced all the capacitors in my duel units. It was a lot less cloudy. The transformers made it to a level that I absolutely love. I’ve never really liked them till now. I did a quick test with a stock unit from someone else on the same settings. It wasn’t a professional job obviously but it made so you could hear great differences. it’s really creamy it makes tracks really stand out to lovely results. I’m in the works of building a true stereo point to point pultec and two srpp mono units. It’ll be fun to compare them.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalCher ➡️
Yes I replaced the transformers myself. Your info was a huge help. So thanks for that. I shared on a couple diy Facebook groups. Had a lot of diy guys interested.
I first replaced all the capacitors in my duel units. It was a lot less cloudy. The transformers made it to a level that I absolutely love. I’ve never really liked them till now. I did a quick test with a stock unit from someone else on the same settings. It wasn’t a professional job obviously but it made so you could hear great differences. it’s really creamy it makes tracks really stand out to lovely results. I’m in the works of building a true stereo point to point pultec and two srpp mono units. It’ll be fun to compare them.
Awesome! Glad it helped and you like it with the cap changes too. Did you use the Carnhills or different transformers? I know some people were interested in using American transformers.

Do pop in if you remember and let us know how your Pultec build compares to the modded EQP. The srpp units look cool too and fairly straightforward to build.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Awesome! Glad it helped and you like it with the cap changes too. Did you use the Carnhills or different transformers? I know some people were interested in using American transformers.

Do pop in if you remember and let us know how your Pultec build compares to the modded EQP. The srpp units look cool too and fairly straightforward to build.
Same transformers you did. 2281 Carnhill. They’re pretty cheap. Love em. I’m using all Cinemag transformers/inductors in the point to point I’m building. Then lundahls or Edcor’s xs 1100 in the srpp. I will send you /gearslutz a shootout. It’s the least I can do.
Cheers!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ MusicalCher . Nice. Yes, they don't cost much at all for a pretty big impact in sound. Giant red Carnhills always look really cool too. Sounds good on the other transformers.

Thanks for offering up a shootout! I look forward to it.
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I got mine last week (finally) and I plugged it in, turned it on... and nothing.

The light came on but it wouldn't pass audio turned on or off whether in bypass or not. I have a feeling it is something as simple as one of the Molex connectors has come loose in shipping, but I can't really open it up since I am having a replacement sent to me.

Of course, they are on back order so it will be another month before they can even ship it to me. The sales support was good but the manufacturer has let me down a bit. Just disappointed.

Last edited by saxmeister; 3 weeks ago at 02:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annex2 ➡️
I agree. I recently purchased 2 from Sweetwater. I was curious to check out this new "CAF" (cheap as f***) Klark/Behringer EQ that so many slutz were talking up. I have fond memories of working with Klark Teknik graphic EQ's back in the day... DN27A's, DN300's, etc... for live sound. A Pultec style EQ for like, less than $350-ish??? **** man, even if it's 50% as good as a real vintage Pultec, I'm like, sign me up for a pair!

Well, they arrived from Sweetwater late this summer, after being on a long back-order due to "the COVID". I patched them in right next to my pair of Audio-Scape EQP-A Pultec style EQ's. The Klark EQ's did not even come close. Truthfully, they did not even sound good in bypass!! Seriously. I was shocked to hear a subtle harshness with the EQ's in bypass!! Seriously! With the EQ's engaged, I could not find anything that this EQ offered that was usable or desirable. The bandwidth knob did absolutely nothing.

I was hoping that these EQ's would do something that I could justify a couple hundred bucks on/each. No, I could not. I am not a big "returner" of gear... Never have been. These 2 EQ's went back to Sweetwater. They are not even worth a couple hundred bucks, IMO. YMMV.

FYI... I have used real vintage Pultec EQ's, though I do not own any. (I wish!!) At present, I do own a pair of Audio-Scape EQP-A EQ's and have owned A-Designs pultec variation and these are both miles above this Klark Teknik/Behringer offering.
+1

....i just received one last week, and my first impression is ouch.

the top end is so thin,harsh and brittle its useless .....and the low end is just muffled rubbish

...im clearly going to have to mod everything to try and make this usable. (Thanks for the info shared by posters on this thread re: how to do this)

My comparisons to other analog eq's are limited but the difference is night and day.

(I use and love the WA 73 eq , the SSL SIx High and Low Bell/Shelf Eq's and the SSL Fusion EQ's ....this stock issued KT eq is useless as it stands in comparison to these eq's for me )

....im still interested in their LA2A clone..but this EQ has me wondering if its useful either.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmeister ➡️
I got mine last week (finally) and I plugged it in, turned it on... and nothing.

The light came on but it wouldn't pass audio turned on or off whether in bypass or not. I have a feeling it is something as simple as one of the Molex connectors has come loose in shipping, but I can't really open it up since I am having a replacement sent to me.

Of course, they are on back order so ti will be another month before they can even ship it to me. The sales support was good but the manufacturer has let me down a bit. Just disappointed.
1 of the 3 I own is 180 degrees out of phase... haha.

It’s worth the wait.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman ➡️
+1

....i just received one last week, and my first impression is ouch.

the top end is so thin,harsh and brittle its useless .....and the low end is just muffled rubbish

...im clearly going to have to mod everything to try and make this usable. (Thanks for the info shared by posters on this thread re: how to do this)

My comparisons to other analog eq's are limited but the difference is night and day.

(I use and love the WA 73 eq , the SSL SIx High and Low Bell/Shelf Eq's and the SSL Fusion EQ's ....this stock issued KT eq is useless as it stands in comparison to these eq's for me )

....im still interested in their LA2A clone..but this EQ has me wondering if its useful either.
Makes me wonder if there is a quality variance between one and the next. My unit:

I switch EQ on from bypass, everything set to 0 = no change to sound. No low end loss etc.

I turn the knobs, it does what it is supposed to in a very musical way. No hum, no harsh top end.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmutant ➡️
Makes me wonder if there is a quality variance between one and the next. My unit:

I switch EQ on from bypass, everything set to 0 = no change to sound. No low end loss etc.

I turn the knobs, it does what it is supposed to in a very musical way. No hum, no harsh top end.
I've had mine almost 2 years. So it's not the newest.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wouldn’t call the EQP-KT unusable personally. In fact I find it works surprisingly well and is a very useful eq.
Quote:

Yes I am thinking this too

I can also say that the bandwidth knob on my unit makes no perceptible change to the resolution of the targeted frequencies either

I have used the daw emulation pultec for years and know what eq shapes I’m aiming for

I can’t get anything that vaguely resembles the low end boost/cut response these units are famous for

And as I say , I’ve got other analog eqs that I love and simply do things daws can’t do IMO , hence why I thought I’d try this

Maybe it’s crying out for better tubes ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes I am thinking this too

I can also say that the bandwidth knob on my unit makes no perceptible change to the resolution of the targeted frequencies either

I have used the daw emulation pultec for years and know what eq shapes I’m aiming for

I can’t get anything that vaguely resembles the low end boost/cut response these units are famous for

And as I say , I’ve got other analog eqs that I love and simply do things daws can’t do IMO , hence why I thought I’d try this

Maybe it’s crying out for better tubes ?
I would say the tubes make a little change from past experience with tube swapping. Most likely it's everything else, cutting corners here and there, plus quality of "midas" transformers is questionable. Make them poorly and some could suffer from stray capasitance, inductance... Hense low cut filter sound, no bass etc.

I love mine, the low boost + cut is magic. I think the Q is a bit too much in the narrow end of the knob. I use mine as tone box, also I have no previous experience of an actual Pulteq other than plugins. To me it works as well, eith zero latency during recording.

I think it should not be conpared with the actual Pulteq. It's just "inspired" by the original. After all it cost me 215€ NEW!!! I wasn't expecting much... It's like a family car with a Ferrari paint job.
Quote:

I love mine, the low boost + cut is magic.
..yeah this was all i was after really.

i think i must have a dodgy unit,

because i really wasnt expecting much, id just hoped it might be an effective shaping eq for a little touch here and there post DAW , as i sum in analog

but this box i have here is just destructive to the tonal quality of the signal ...lows and highs
Old 3 weeks ago
ZEF
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
ghostman, sound is subjective right...its totally possible you dont dig it and others do. Like guitar tones, some prefer blurry and some want shiny clean etc.. Grace Design clean precision or Neve doubled transformer, blurr warmdirt vibey.
of course you might have a defective unit as you said, you could try another one.
I was thinking of buying a EQ and this one pops up a lot for the "old school clone" sounds...

does it add noise? I find the tube stuff can raise the noise floor and Im a little picky on that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEF ➡️
ghostman, sound is subjective right...its totally possible you dont dig it and others do. Like guitar tones, some prefer blurry and some want shiny clean etc.. Grace Design clean precision or Neve doubled transformer, blurr warmdirt vibey.
of course you might have a defective unit as you said, you could try another one.
I was thinking of buying a EQ and this one pops up a lot for the "old school clone" sounds...

does it add noise? I find the tube stuff can raise the noise floor and Im a little picky on that too.
No bro , no noise
And I’m familiar with the noise from tube circuits

I actually like noise in my productions and always put some element of the mix to a technics tape deck and bring it back in with the noise it adds

I’m going to keep it and try the Mods people on this thread have done

But I have to say , IMO it’s a v disappointing box

I’d love to say I love it but I can’t use it

I often open up the top of a vocal with the hi shelf on my analog ssl eq or my wa 73 eq

...trying to open the top up on this eq sounds brittle sibilant harsh and thin , like actually horrible
And adding anything to the bass end is just woolly and blurred moosh

I must have a bad unit don’t know

In the box I use the eq 1 and eq5 all the time for specific tasks and love them
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I didn't like the treble on these either, I can agree with that. I did like the bass though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i think i must have a dodgy unit,
Sounds like it. Maybe you should ask for a replacement. Different tubes / transformers / capacitors are not going to fix it to the extent of what you describe. Of course, this is assuming you haven’t done a Fricker (using the same EQ positions as you do with your plugin). The Pulteq numbers don’t match the EQP so you have to adjust it by ear.

Quote:
And a good test of the gain component. Clean re-amp. Tubes working to spec.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Btw, anyone who has swapped transformer in one of these... How did you measure the one that is in stockunit to know with what to replace it with? Inductance, primary/secondary impedance? Or did you just rely on Pulteq schematics?

Is the input 1:1 and output 1:2? The reason I'm asking is I just realised I have two LL5402 laying about with no use. Those can be wired 1:1 and 1:2.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Ghostman- if you can exchange definitely do, but with back order status of these most everywhere it may be a long wait or refund as your only option. I recommend checking the tubes at least. On mine, the 12AU7 tube was obviously, physically broken just by looking at it. Looked like leaning tower with a broken foundation and wobbly roof. My opinion of Bugera tubes is they are kind of like Behringer gear... QC is far from reputable, if you find one that works they are alright, but there is usually better gear out there that does the same job.

My thoughts, visually inspect tubes- if obvious issue there try replacing. If visual inspection doesn't tell you anything try return. If return not an option, try replacing with better tubes anyway.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbrchckn ➡️
My thoughts, visually inspect tubes- if obvious issue there try replacing. If visual inspection doesn't tell you anything try return. If return not an option, try replacing with better tubes anyway.
thanks bro yeah, ill open it up in the next few days and intend to swap the tubes for sure now.

I had felt it was worth taking a punt on this unit as its only a little more expensive than some plug-ins.....

i do have some analog eq's i love and so I'm judging against those when it comes to this unit.

re: tubes.

A while ago i swapped out the tube in my condenser mic and at the time i was a bit baffled by the amount of info....and debate....re: the best buy tubes (without going super niche and expensive)....im gonna trawl this thread here for recommendations but if you (and anyone else ) had any suggestions for some good tubes for this unit.....id be very grateful for the time-saving of other peoples experience

i hope still to be able to get some sauce out of this box but i think its gonna need a little customisation.

have a good day pal
📝 Reply