Mathew Lane OnTheMoon Spacecraft stereo width processing hardware
Old 3rd October 2016
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years
Mathew Lane OnTheMoon Spacecraft stereo width processing hardware

Old 4th October 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Heard this at the Paris AES last year, this is phenomenal.
Old 4th October 2016
Deleted 7f9cade
Any ideas on Price?

I use the DRMS all the time. Almost every mix. Having a hardware version would be amazing.

This is really exciting. I personally feel that analog M/S and Width processing is far and above what the plugins can do.

Last edited by Deleted 7f9cade; 29th January 2017 at 11:48 PM..
Old 4th October 2016
Engagement Manager

🎧 15 years
This looks like the most exciting thing I've seen in years

I'm a big fan of the analog spread options on my Bereich 03 Side-Only/Avenson M/S and Crookwood M4
But the DrMS in analogue hardware form?

Hell yeah!
Old 5th October 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
O.M.G
Old 5th October 2016
Lives for gear

88 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This caught my attention; nice design.
Old 5th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7f9cade ➑️
Any ideas on Price?
Seconded. This is the missing ingredient for me....

I also wanna know what is going on under the hood!?
Old 6th October 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I will have one!!!
Old 6th October 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
For me the best news so far from AES! Awesome!
Now gimme gimme
Old 6th October 2016
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the interest!

Price will be 2500 euro ex VAT, the first batch is in production right now
Old 6th October 2016
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Interesting. Could you post more info on the unit? Detail pictures on front, back and inside of the unit? Are the controls detented switches/knobs for easy recall?
Old 6th October 2016
Village Idiot

🎧 15 years
That dude is cool as ****!

Gustav
Old 7th October 2016 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nOiz ➑️
Interesting. Could you post more info on the unit? Detail pictures on front, back and inside of the unit? Are the controls detented switches/knobs for easy recall?
Pictures will follow as soon as we have the production units in (which look even nicer!)

No detended controls, those would be too expensive, and we felt there was not an absolute need: You are controlling stereo with a single knob, so there's no left/right matching to be done. Plus there's a nice gentle control range on the knobs (a value a tiny bit higher or lower doesn't matter much), so easy to recall with the lines around the knobs!
Old 12th October 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Really want to ride the Spacecraft. I am ready for the journey!

It will be ready any day now?
Old 12th October 2016 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWoods ➑️
Really want to ride the Spacecraft. I am ready for the journey!

It will be ready any day now?
We are awaiting the metalwork PCB's are done with all components, ready to be mounted in the units!
Old 17th January 2017
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Good news, the OnTheMoon SPACECRAFT is now available via Joystick Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Mathew Lane OnTheMoon Spacecraft stereo width processing hardware-onthemoonspacecraft.jpg  
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Looking forward to test it one day...
Old 27th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looks promising.
Has anyone tried it?
Old 28th May 2017
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
There are units with customers already, here you can find some pics of it in use at Jerboa mastering: https://redbullelektropedia.be/artic...rboa-mastering

In attachment a frontpanel overview pic of the OnTheMoon SPACECRAFT

Units available from stock
Attached Thumbnails
Mathew Lane OnTheMoon Spacecraft stereo width processing hardware-otm-spacecraft-front.jpg  
Old 28th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thx for the info.
I was looking for some user comments. How does it sonically compare to the DrMS plugin?

Jeroba Mastering lists the Spacecraft under "monitoring" equipment. I wonder...
Old 28th May 2017 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nednerd ➑️
Thx for the info.
I was looking for some user comments. How does it sonically compare to the DrMS plugin?
While Spacecraft is on the cleaner side of analog, its Space section has more vibe/impact then the more neutral DrMS. Both share a similar concept, but a total different implementation.
Which one to choose depends on the kind of setup you have and where in the chain you want to use this kind of processing. Of course, next to all the special spatial possibilities, the Spacecraft also serves as a high end analog mid/side unit with inserts and the possibility to listen to the different signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednerd ➑️
Jeroba Mastering lists the Spacecraft under "monitoring" equipment. I wonder...
Not sure, it's probably a mistake, although Spacecraft offers essential mid/side monitoring functionality. It's definitely not an EQ nor compressor though
Old 10th November 2017
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any users reviews of this yet?
Looks very interesting!
Old 5th December 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
gonna get one for testing tomorrow :-)
Old 6th December 2017 | Show parent
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanz ➑️
gonna get one for testing tomorrow :-)
Nice!!
Please report back after testing.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, please, let us know how the unit fares...
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well, after some testing we decided not to keep it. It's a nifty device and it has lot's to offer but we have other options for the functions it has. The extra thing, with the feedback and max 10 ms analog delay, is pretty cool for vocals and some other things in mixing situations, but for mastering we already have depth and width options with the Neve MBP (which can can be affected by the compressor/limiter) and we have a good elliptical filter from Philips (Polygram), so we didn't need all this so much.

The enhancing with the feedback/delay in the space mode didn't give us the results we were hoping for, the sound became easily less defined, in the end we preferred to put it on bypass on all our attempts (we tried to use it on pop and house/techno masterings we had to do). Besides that we noticed in this bypass mode that the noise level was rising (?). Pretty weird, to almost -60 db, not much, but unacceptable here. The noise is gone when the machine is on duty. In the end we would have to walk to the back of our rack to really switch it off when we don't need it. We were using it on one insert on our Dangerous Liaison, together with the lovely Maselec MLA-4, and we don't have space to give it a single insert on the router, which would have helped to tackle this problem. We prefer to keep our Otari on this channel, with a nice tape saturation for when we want to make it sound more phat, but still compact. A bit the opposite of what we achieved with the feedback/delay of the space department. So, it is a cool device for when you don't have the options which we have already have for analog width and dept with freq control. Only four 'steps' at the MBP, but good enough for us. Stepped minimalist options are good many times in mastering.

Oh yes, the only thing which we really are gonna miss, since I decided not to buy it, is the very handy cut knob, which allows you to hear exactly what it is moving from mid to side and visa versa. On the other side (of the moon), I prefer to listen to the whole thing anyway, but is was at least interesting. The name is briljant btw, I would love to show off with something called On The Moon: Spacecraft in my studio. I would have called zoom just width btw, more clear. And for visibility I would have preferred white stripes on the knobs. We work in a pretty dark space, good for focus, and we had to feel all the time where the levels are. Stepped would have been fine too, but just a white stripe is really recommended.

Hope this will help. It could be very handy, it sounds good, does depth and width control with freq control and optional feedback very well, but overkill for our setup. And they should deal with this noise issue. Maybe they did already, we had number seven, looking at the serial number at the back. And kudos for Mathewe Lane for creating something special and different! Lot's of respect to him and Joystick for this and we are grateful they enabled us to give it a try.

Johanz Westerman
Stijn van Gestel
Ballyhoo Studio Mastering

Last edited by Johanz; 10th December 2017 at 01:24 AM..
Old 9th December 2017
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Thanks for your feedback!

Happy to clarify the few notes you made:

The noise in bypass mode you were experiencing is not normal. I know this demo unit has been around a lot. Possibly something happened to it before it got to you? We will check it when it gets back to us!

White stripes on the knobs could have been nice in darker studios indeed. Similar stylish aluminium knobs with white stripe was not available however (taking in mind shaft type requirements etc), so we decided for this one. A custom knob would be the alternative, but it is rather costly and you need to order thousands If in the future we find a suitable knob with white strips, it's an easy exchange of course.

Using the Space section takes a bit of getting used to, it's quite different from anything else out there. Of course, as with anything, it's not for on every mix, but it can be a problem solver and/or enhancer for a lot of mixes and styles of music. It does add a certain 'blend' to the signal, like a buscompressor does as well, but in a different way. Maybe this wasn't what you were looking for in the particular mixes you were processing, I can totally understand. Sometimes one needs a certain thing, someones one doesn't

And fun to hear you like the name of the unit so much
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM ➑️
Thanks for your feedback!

Happy to clarify the few notes you made:

The noise in bypass mode you were experiencing is not normal. I know this demo unit has been around a lot. Possibly something happened to it before it got to you? We will check it when it gets back to us!

White stripes on the knobs could have been nice in darker studios indeed. Similar stylish aluminium knobs with white stripe was not available however (taking in mind shaft type requirements etc), so we decided for this one. A custom knob would be the alternative, but it is rather costly and you need to order thousands If in the future we find a suitable knob with white strips, it's an easy exchange of course.

Using the Space section takes a bit of getting used to, it's quite different from anything else out there. Of course, as with anything, it's not for on every mix, but it can be a problem solver and/or enhancer for a lot of mixes and styles of music. It does add a certain 'blend' to the signal, like a buscompressor does as well, but in a different way. Maybe this wasn't what you were looking for in the particular mixes you were processing, I can totally understand. Sometimes one needs a certain thing, someones one doesn't

And fun to hear you like the name of the unit so much
Any good sound examples of what this unit can do?
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM ➑️
Any good sound examples of what this unit can do?
Crazy, right? I forgot about this - this unit kinda came and went fast. It's strange that they made a unit that's supposed to help manipulate the stereo field in a way that no one's familiar with and the company never thought to make videos or audio files demonstrating what the process did.
Old 29th September 2020
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
I know, it's on my to do list to do some audio samples and maybe even a video

We are actually busy producing again another batch, the OnTheMoon Spacecraft is selling well despite the lack of a lot of promotional material.
Where possible, we try to offer people a real world demo with an actual unit, which seems to be very convincing

https://www.mathewlane.com/spacecraft/
πŸ“ Reply