Mathew Lane OnTheMoon Spacecraft stereo width processing hardware
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM ➡️
I know, it's on my to do list to do some audio samples and maybe even a video

We are actually busy producing again another batch, the OnTheMoon Spacecraft is selling well despite the lack of a lot of promotional material.
Where possible, we try to offer people a real world demo with an actual unit, which seems to be very convincing

https://www.mathewlane.com/spacecraft/
Come on man get to those sound examples and videos.
Looks like a very intriguing product, but with little to no real world user reviews and examples it’s hard for the average person to plop down the premium.
It’s on my to try list.
Old 4th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM ➡️
Come on man get to those sound examples and videos.
Looks like a very intriguing product, but with little to no real world user reviews and examples it’s hard for the average person to plop down the premium.
It’s on my to try list.
UP
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
No worries, I haven't forgotten about this

I'd just like to make a decent video when taking the effort, and while we know our fair share about plug-in and gear design, making videos is not our forte It's all taking a bit longer than hoped for...

A pure audio demo where you don't see which settings are used is probably not so interesting anyway?

In any case, we do have physical units that can be tested! Since I'm based in Belgium this is especially easy to arrange in Europe, but we've done demos this way in USA as well!
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No worries, I haven't forgotten about this

I'd just like to make a decent video when taking the effort, and while we know our fair share about plug-in and gear design, making videos is not our forte It's all taking a bit longer than hoped for...

A pure audio demo where you don't see which settings are used is probably not so interesting anyway?

In any case, we do have physical units that can be tested! Since I'm based in Belgium this is especially easy to arrange in Europe, but we've done demos this way in USA as well!
Look forward to it.

Maybe you can connect with the guys from Access Analog and get one of these on their site. This way interested parties can actually use one and see/hear what it can do in real time.
Old 14th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Bump!

Please upload some exemples or the video !
Any news ?
Thanks
Old 15th March 2021 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qslprod ➡️
Bump!

Please upload some exemples or the video !
Any news ?
Thanks
Something's cooking Give it a few more weeks
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
MixbusTV is posting an OnTheMoon SPACECRAFT review soon, there's a little unboxing/preview video of it out already!

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
MixbusTV is posting an OnTheMoon SPACECRAFT review soon, there's a little unboxing/preview video of it out already!

Thanks I've watched it yesterday, can't wait to see the full review !
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
And here it is!

MixbusTV goes in-depth with my OnTheMoon SPACECRAFT analog spatial processor:

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
And here it is!

Thanks !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Watched the video, it sounds really good.... I went back and watched a few spots again, but listened through in mono. Even when he was hitting some extreme settings, I was struggling to hear any significant difference when he bypassed the unit. That’s crazy.
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And here it is!

Is this to be mixed into from early on in the mix, or should it be placed in the 2-bus chain somewhere closer to the end of the mix?
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM ➡️
Is this to be mixed into from early on in the mix, or should it be placed in the 2-bus chain somewhere closer to the end of the mix?
The OnTheMoon SPACECRAFT both is great on sub-groups or stereo channels as well as on the full mix. On a full mix you'd use it more gently, but on individual sources or groups, you can go crazy if you like
When used on the full mix, I would probably use it later on in the process, more in the final stages of the mix, but either way goes I guess!
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➡️
Watched the video, it sounds really good.... I went back and watched a few spots again, but listened through in mono. Even when he was hitting some extreme settings, I was struggling to hear any significant difference when he bypassed the unit. That’s crazy.
Indeed, I value mono compatibility a lot, it's an essential part of the OnTheMoon SPACECRAFT design!
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The OnTheMoon SPACECRAFT both is great on sub-groups or stereo channels as well as on the full mix. On a full mix you'd use it more gently, but on individual sources or groups, you can go crazy if you like
When used on the full mix, I would probably use it later on in the process, more in the final stages of the mix, but either way goes I guess!
Thanks for the response.
I’ve wanted one of these for years now. Looking at what can be sold as we speak.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Very interesting... especially when you use extreme settings it is completely not noticeable when you check for MONO compatibility. What's happening under the hood seems very similar to my HUGHES unit.
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic ➡️
Very interesting... especially when you use extreme settings it is completely not noticeable when you check for MONO compatibility. What's happening under the hood seems very similar to my HUGHES unit.
I've actually never seen/heard the Hughes in real life myself From what I gather from the few audio samples I heard online, it is different, but also seems a fun unit!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
From the introduction years ago with absolutely no demos no matter how much people asked, to finally getting a demo but there's none available - maybe in fall 2021 if you ask to be put on a list or something, everything about this unit has been half ass right from the beginning. It doesn't really instill confidence at all in the hardware, the company behind it, or the company's ability to even support it in the future.

Really a shame but this whole thing from day 1 to right now has been an amazing example of how badly a company can do everything regarding a product.

The only other thing I can remember here that was this bad was the disastrous roll out of SK Note's AVE voice processor for 500 series years ago that followed this almost to a T. They released the unit and provided almost no examples. People begged for a demo video and they eventually released a small one, promising more in the future. There were an extremely small amount supposedly sold, and then it fell of the face of the earth as if SK Note never had made it.

Shame, the Spacecraft looks like an interesting unit. It deserved better.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
From the introduction years ago with absolutely no demos no matter how much people asked, to finally getting a demo but there's none available - maybe in fall 2021 if you ask to be put on a list or something, everything about this unit has been half ass right from the beginning. It doesn't really instill confidence at all in the hardware, the company behind it, or the company's ability to even support it in the future.
Happy to give you some background, I'm sure you'll better understand:

I'm a plug-in designer, who also works for Benelux & France Pro Audio distributor Joystick Audio. With Joystick Audio we've been doing some of the best pro audio brands for 20 over years. "OnTheMoon" is the private studio of the people behind Joystick Audio, it is our creative playground.

Together with the analog tech engineer of Joystick Audio, I decided to create an analog spatial processor for my own mastering studio, based on the spatialising concepts I developed for my plug-ins. I managed to design something that could potentially work in the analog domain and together we created the first Spacecraft.

Our good friend Dave Hill from Crane Song was so nice to have our prototype being shown at his booth at AES in LA in 2016, as we had been talking about this project and were visiting AES as his Benelux & France distribution partner anyway. After this, our unit raised rather some interest not only from our own customers in Benelux & France, but also internationally.

Backed by Joystick Audio, we planned to start building limited batches (10 at a time) under Joystick Audio's "OnTheMoon" brand. We prefer quality over quantity, and there was no need to rush things. This means there's a very solid company behind the Spacecraft. We are known for delivering excellent support for over 20 years already, working with over 30 leading brands in the industry.

Locally, customers could of course easily test a unit for a week, as that's what we do with all our brands here. But we also shipped units abroad to customers, not only inside Europe, but also to USA and more.

The batches of 10 we produced sold out each time without any need for advertising.

Early 2021, David Gnozzi of MixbusTV, who has been a DrMS user for years, did an in-depth video about DrMS. David became also very curious for my OnTheMoon SPACECRAFT.

Since there had been a demand for demos/video here, and since making videos myself is not my forte (believe me, I tried!), it was great that MixbusTV could maybe do one rather than myself.

At that time we were already planning a new batch of 10 units. We thought it would be nice to make these available for pre-order when the video came out. We decided to rather build 20 instead of 10, just in case, as we had no idea what the response on the video would be. Also, building more than 20 units at once was impossible in short term anyway, as there are large worldwide parts supply delays (all manufacturers have this issue currently, even the biggest ones). This meant we could only get enough parts for 20 units if we wanted them to be ready by June/July.

The response turned out to be massive, and the 20 units sold out in just 2 days! Much faster than we ever expected! Sorry you missed out...

That brings us to the next batch: Yes, it will be bigger, and yes we might make units available through selected international distributors to make everything easier outside Europe. The only reason the next batch will only be available by fall is because of component supplier delays, a current day reality all manufacturers face.

Hopefully this helps you to understand where the OnTheMoon SPACECRAFT comes from, and that there has been nothing "half ass" about it. Everything is handled and done the way we want it, we simply didn't have the need to market the hell out of it from day one.

Thanks again for your interest in it
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Have someone compared it to the DR.MS. ?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This stuff usually passes me by.. but the mixbuss TV demo was great like all his videos are.. along with DR Mix.

Really intrigued now as I could see this as a hw insert on a mix for vocals or acoustics and then ok the stereo bus insert !

Wild!
Wiggy
📝 Reply