The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintech 473
Old 13th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Vintech 473

Vintech 473

"The Vintech Audio 473 features four 1073 style microphone preamplifiers with "essential eq" on every channel. We call the high and low shelving eq adjustments "essential" because they really help to enhance certain instruments and impart that magic to the sound like a vintage Neve 1073. Each channel also offers an input sensitivity adjustment allowing up to 70db of gain, an input impedance switch, a mic-line switch, an instrument input and switches for phantom power, phase reverse and eq on or off. We guarantee these units to meet your satisfaction or your money back.

List Price $3195.00
Buy Direct for $2849.00"

70db of gain sounds nice
How do you guys feel about the compromise that was made in the eq section?

Old 13th October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Having less eq choice wouldn't bother me, because I'd be filling up on 4 channels of 1073 flava! Any eq they were able to squeeze into the box is gravy.

To make a 4 ch. box with full on 1073 eq would cost a bit more and definitely require more rack space.

The price sure is right!

rollz
Old 13th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
doesn't bother me at all 'cause i can do precision eq touchs w/ plug in sony eq if i want n the neve eq, i would use it just for the color. so does anybody know what r the exact freq. choices of the hi n lo bands ? also i heard there's even a cheaper 4ch unit coming out w/o the eq.
Old 13th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
xqtion I agree with you.. I am just looking for outboard eq for color as I will have either the Sony eq or GML very soon (just waiting for the word on the GM EQ) I have never worked with a 1073 eq so I was just wondering what I would be missing out on...Maybe Dallas can stop by here and give us the word on this thing...
Old 13th October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
etherize,

If you can pop enough for GML or Sony eq (unless you mean plug in which of course is cheap), why not an Ibis? Yup, the waiting list is damn long, but it is Cranesong.

Or have you tried a Massive Passive?
Old 13th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i meant plug-in yuktyy
Old 15th October 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ah, yes. De plug inz, boz.

I won't bet that they compare to the outboards (I don't have either the Sony or GML plugs, or obds), but I bet the plugs will sound good.

Tried the Waves LinEQ yet? Not colorful but very useful.
Old 15th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use a Phoenix Audio GTQ2 with a limited eq and like it that way. If the eq is "JUST RIGHT" limitations are a good thing.
Old 15th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
"Tried the Waves LinEQ yet? Not colorful but very useful."

I have Gold TDM right now but I am planning on upgrading to Platinum...I have heard Great things about the Waves linEQ though
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm looking very seriously at the Vintech 473, was wondering if anyone has some time on one. How do you like it? TommyD
Old 10th January 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
i saw the ad for this and it peaked my interest. id like to try one out for a session when it becomes available.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think it is out...
Old 10th January 2003
Founder

heh
Attached Thumbnails
Vintech 473-473.jpg  
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This box is at the top of my list for the new room. We own a vintech 1272 and love it. I've used the X73 in a buddys room (nice) and if this new box is in the same ballpark it'll be a no brainer the price is definately right. I hope we can find a dealer here to demo one for a couple days.

anyone using the Brent Averill 1272 pre's?
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any ideas who might have the best price on this gem??rollz TommyD (the 473, that is)
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well I haven't bought anything from them but I believe Calistromusic has the best prices... Altomusic has good prices also and I have used them before... Calistro i believe is like a one man shop so he can probably beat anyone on prices... if you buy one from him let me know what price you get... cause I'm interested in this thing as well....

Old 11th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, I'll check Calistromusic out. Got my Control24 from Alto Music, screaming deal I might add!heh Thanks again! TommyD
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
nothing's more irritating than a site that doesn't list prices. spells shady to me.

ml
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
like I said Altomusic is cool for sure...Ive dealt with them and they give great prices and it takes a second to get the best price they can give you...also if you ever get any Digidesign related items Alto is the best place in the country

Calistro is just someone I spoke on the phone with and was recomended by someone else on the net to me....the prices he was giving on things were the best I mean on some things they were as good as used prices if not better...but he's hard to talk to...so that's why I am interested in hearing about someone else who has bought from him just to make sure everything is on the up and up...
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by tommyd
I'm looking very seriously at the Vintech 473, was wondering if anyone has some time on one. How do you like it? TommyD
It's not really shipping quite yet...a few limited number have gone out to Japan I believe. Look for them in full force in the next few weeks. The basic preamp circuit is the same as the X73 Vintech, with high and low shelving, but same quality of EQ. It also has an impedance input loading switch (300 and 1200 ohms) which basically, similar to the Vipre and Great River MP-2NV many are familiar with, will allow completely different tonal choices without the use of EQ (usually my goal, especially in tracking).
Old 18th January 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
QUOTE Muddy
"more irritating than a site that doesn't list prices. spells shady to me."

It isn't shady. There is something called minimum advertised prices. Each manufacterer has a minimum advertsed price that a dealer is aloud to advertise on the web. There are dealers who sell below the minimum advertise and therefore cannot list their prices without other dealers contacting the manufacterer to get them removed from the product line. Dealers like Sweetwater and others who list prices are typically at this or higher.
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Seems like an ideal companion for an api 3124m+ for trackin drums/gtrs/etc...
Old 18th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That is my plan exactly! 473, api 3124, probably throw an MP2-NV in for good measure. God I'm going to hemorrhage some serious cash here soon! TommyD
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There is something called minimum advertised prices. Each manufacterer has a minimum advertsed price that a dealer is aloud to advertise on the web. There are dealers who sell below the minimum advertise and therefore cannot list their prices without other dealers contacting the manufacterer to get them removed from the product line. Dealers like Sweetwater and others who list prices are typically at this or higher.
Even many of the dealers who advertise at the minimum advertised price will sell for less if you contact them directly. Seems like a catch-22 to me...advertise at MAP and people assume that's the price, period. Say "call for price" or "too low to print" and those people who don't want to bother to call in or email won't be able to buy from you online...

In any case, this box looks cool.

-Duardo
πŸ“ Reply