The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eve Audio ribbon tweeter vs Focal Pro inverted dome tweeter
Old 14th July 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Eve Audio ribbon tweeter vs Focal Pro inverted dome tweeter

So Im getting ready to buy new monitors, and Im seriously looking at the Eve SC207s and the Focal CMS 65s. The only thing that concerns me is the tweeters. Am I going to see a drastic difference with the inverted dome, vs the Eves just placed properly?
Ive heard the Focal Alphas and I was blown away by the tweeters, and how you can have them placed a bit more random and still get the "sweet spot" sound.
I wouldnt mind paying the extra cash for the CMS upgrade if the inverted dome is going to be a game changer. However, at work we have the Eve 207s on display, and after listening to them and doing research I really like them.
I guess what im trying to ask is, will I get the same amazing detail with the Eve 207s (if placed properly of course) than I would with the Focal CMS 65s, or is their inverted dome just on another level completely?
I do know that the inverted dome "sweet spot" is MUCH larger than what it would be on a ribbon tweeter, right?
Old 14th July 2016
Deleted 9ca40cc
I have Eve SC307 at my place, and at the studio I work very often we have Focal Twins, so I guess I can have my opinion even if I never compared them side by side. They sound different, but on the same level IMO. Focals sound almost dark, but never lack any detail, the Eves are more exciting, but still natural. I never had any bad surprise when switching from one to another (usually I record on Focals and then mix on Eves). I had a lot of doubts when we had PMC TwoTwo5 with matching sub at the studio, they were bright, sharp, with hard to judge stereo field. I also had Focals CMS40 for over a year, mixed 20-30 albums solely on them, they translated well. I prefer more exciting and engaging monitoring for mixing right now, and ribbons give me that, but they are not better or worse than Focal inverted dome. The best part? Eve SC307 is almost half the price of Focal Twins, even if they have the same drivers size. So if you thinking about spending more, you can pick SC305 (3-way) for the same price as CMS65, and then it will really be no contest in favor of Eve.
Old 14th July 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9ca40cc ➡️
I have Eve SC307 at my place, and at the studio I work very often we have Focal Twins, so I guess I can have my opinion even if I never compared them side by side. They sound different, but on the same level IMO. Focals sound almost dark, but never lack any detail, the Eves are more exciting, but still natural. I never had any bad surprise when switching from one to another (usually I record on Focals and then mix on Eves). I had a lot of doubts when we had PMC TwoTwo5 with matching sub at the studio, they were bright, sharp, with hard to judge stereo field. I also had Focals CMS40 for over a year, mixed 20-30 albums solely on them, they translated well. I prefer more exciting and engaging monitoring for mixing right now, and ribbons give me that, but they are not better or worse than Focal inverted dome. The best part? Eve SC307 is almost half the price of Focal Twins, even if they have the same drivers size. So if you thinking about spending more, you can pick SC305 (3-way) for the same price as CMS65, and then it will really be no contest in favor of Eve.
Thank you for your insight That helps a lot.
Anyone else have any input?
Old 19th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Mendoza ➡️
Thank you for your insight That helps a lot.
Anyone else have any input?
geez its been like years and those looking at these years later, but i second cyjanopan opinion. For me was focal solo6 vs sc307. The sc307 where more open and smooth. I dont know if thats the 3way difference though. Still for the price its crazy good. And also thomann music ships to the usa and prices for some reason is a lot cheaper. and shipping prices is not that much as i thought.
The only risk of course is having to return them or some reason. . Prices seem expensive for shipping back.

So wwhich ones did you end up buying? and buying afterwards since its been years
📝 Reply