The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small monitors for my little nephew
Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Small monitors for my little nephew

Hi people, my little 7 years old nephew is showing pretty good skills at the conservatory and his parents and I have decided to buy him a setup for his bedroom. The room is small and he need only an accurate and non thundering bass reference. Looking at what the market is offering for his needs I have found these ones:

- Mackie CR4
- KRK RP4 G3
- Fostex PM04.d

There is no web reviews about the Fostexs but I like the brand, KRKs have good reviews but I think considering their small size because everyone knows Rokits are bull****, and Mackies also have good reviews and are the cheapest ones (only thing I don't like is the 1active-1passive thing, don't know why). Do anyone have heard any of those? Don't talk about Genelecs, Focal or something bigger, remember -> 7 years old boy in small room without big bass requirements.
Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Among the three, the Mackie's are the best, but i would get him Jbl Lsr 305's.
They are a little more expensive, a few cm bigger, but so much better, and
perform well even at low volume.

Presonus Eris 4.5 are also (not as much as Jbl's but still) better than the Mackie's.

Last edited by mirka; 1st July 2016 at 12:15 PM..
Old 1st July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirka ➑️
Among the three, the Mackie's are the best, but i would get him Jbl Lsr 305's.
They are a little more expensive, a few cm bigger, but so much better, and
perform well even at low volume.

Presonus Eris 4.5 are also (not as much as Jbl's but still) better than the Mackie's.
Thanks . JBL are going to be pretty big and bassy for him, his bedroom is little and next to it is the one of my newborn 2nd nephew, so a real challenge . I didn't think about Pres because I have heard 5s and 8s and IMO are Rokit type of crap. Will prefer Mackies over them for shure.
Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I didn't think about Pres because I have heard 5s and 8s and IMO are Rokit type of crap.
You have heard from the wrong people, at least about the 8", with the Jbl Lsr 308
they are the most balanced/detailed 8 inch monitors at this price.

I don't like the Eris 5, but like the 8", the 4.5" are really worth it. Much more Imo than the Mackie's.

You get and idea how they perform in this parallel soundtest (from the same guy)both vs the Jbl's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DOfp_zRTX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvWO1lM0_OM

To my ears, there is no competition between the Eris 4.5 and the CR4
Old 1st July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirka ➑️
You have heard from the wrong people, at least about the 8", with the Jbl Lsr 308
they are the most balanced/detailed 8 inch monitors at this price.

I don't like the Eris 5, but like the 8", the 4.5" are really worth it. Much more Imo than the Mackie's.

You get and idea how they perform in this parallel soundtest (from the same guy)both vs the Jbl's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DOfp_zRTX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvWO1lM0_OM

To my ears, there is no competition between the Eris 4.5 and the CR4
I was talking about the Eris. JBLs imo are a good bang for the buck . BTW I have found a shop where I can hear both Mackies and Eris so will test them as I could. Thanks for the links
Old 1st July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Misunderstanding here!

I know you were talking about the Eris.

By listening to the CR4 and the Eris 4.5, each against the Jbl's, you can hear that the gap in sound quality between the Mackie's and the Jbl's is bigger than
between the Eris 4.5 and Jbl's.

For vocals, due to more mids presence, i even prefer the Eris to the Jbl's.

But since you'll be auditionning them, you'll be able to judge by yourself.
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
How about Tascam VL-S3s? They are only 14W a channel with 3" woofers so they won't be too bassy or two loud and very affordable. Another option would be Samson GT Active Studio monitors...they include an integrated USB audio interface for a turn key solution...
Old 4th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbo ➑️
How about Tascam VL-S3s? They are only 14W a channel with 3" woofers so they won't be too bassy or two loud and very affordable. Another option would be Samson GT Active Studio monitors...they include an integrated USB audio interface for a turn key solution...
Thanks for the tip but, I want to buy him something accurate enough. Tascam doesn't make me confident on the brand (in this area) and the Samsons are discontinued here in Europe. I'm going to test both Presonus & Mackie past tomorrow
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just wanted to chime in and say how great it is that you are doing this! we are at a point where tech is so cheap that we are going to see engineers that started with amazing resources at such a young age. As a parent and a musician/engineer it is incredibly exciting.
Old 4th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebo ➑️
I just wanted to chime in and say how great it is that you are doing this! we are at a point where tech is so cheap that we are going to see engineers that started with amazing resources at such a young age. As a parent and a musician/engineer it is incredibly exciting.

I'm very happy to se my nephew doing this at his early age. Very lucky all the young people who have lot of great stuff at a cheap price this times. I will give him all the support possible
Old 6th July 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I have heard the Mackie MR6mk3 in a studio setting and found them surprisingly good for their price range. Might be worth looking into. Cheers!

Mackie MR6mk3 | Sweetwater.com
Old 6th July 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Check out the Tannoy Reveal 402/502's. Great budget monitors.
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It is not the subject, but about the Eris 8, you should check this other thread (with some samples), i am quite sure you'll change your mind!
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/prod...l#post12002869
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the recommendations. Yesterday listened to both Mackies and Presonus, the shop let me have both of them in my studio. Mackie won by a long way, much more accurate and detailed all over the spectrum while the Eris 4.5 sounded very weird like they have lot of holes in the spectrum. Also I've read about lot of problems about built quality with the Pres, so Mackies are going to be my input for my nephew's listening enviroment
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
They don't get much smaller than Genelec 8010s
πŸ“ Reply