The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
do Daking, Distressor Joe Meek SC colored signal even in Bypass !!!
Old 11th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
do Daking, Distressor Joe Meek SC colored signal even in Bypass !!!

I just want some opinion from you experts out there wether passing a signal through the Daking pre ( as line level input ), Distressor and Joe Meek SC2 will colored/altered the sound even if the units are on Bypass ???
I ask this question because my rig is patched so that the signal flows through all these devices at all times, both , on tracking and mix down stage and depending on the situation, i will only use the ones i need and hit the bypass on the other units. Thanks
Old 11th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
The Daking, yes. At least to a certain extent; the Bypass switch takes the EQ out of the circuit, but not the transformer.
Old 11th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah, you're right the Daking in Bypass will bypass the EQ section but the pream section is still active..i wonder how much it colors the signal...
Old 11th October 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: do Daking, Distressor Joe Meek SC colored signal even in Bypass !!!

Anything that passes through a VCA(Distressor) no matter how transparent will change the signal some what. Its up to you if you like what comes out. The Joe Meek also colors it some, even though the original one I have has no make up gain.. By the way, I've mixed like this for years running signals through units in bypass. Some do it better than others. Its up to you to find out which you prefer.

Quote:
Originally posted by vudoo
I just want some opinion from you experts out there wether passing a signal through the Daking pre ( as line level input ), Distressor and Joe Meek SC2 will colored/altered the sound even if the units are on Bypass ???
I ask this question because my rig is patched so that the signal flows through all these devices at all times, both , on tracking and mix down stage and depending on the situation, i will only use the ones i need and hit the bypass on the other units. Thanks
Old 11th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: do Daking, Distressor Joe Meek SC colored signal even in Bypass !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Anything that passes through a VCA(Distressor) no matter how transparent will change the signal some what.
According to the block the Distressor does not pass through anything other than the switch when bypassed. Hardwired, input jack --> bypass switch --> output jack. I've only had one in my studio for about a week but haven't noticed a difference. I'll give it a shot later and see what I think.

Can't speak to the SC2 but I have a SC2.2 that I've noticed does seem to color the signal even though they (JoeMeek) say it's a "hardwire" bypass and shouldn't.

Personaly, if something is not going to contribute to the sound in some meaningful way than it's not in the chain. Patchbays are my friend.
Old 12th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
finally, got time to check it out for myself. All devices above color the sound in some ways even in bypass mode...Distressor being the least noticeable.
I LOVE the way the Daking stuff sound. I do mostly drums for albums and Film score. I, finally found something that i'm totally satisfied with it...Love it !!!
It's a very forward in your face sound, a cross between Neve and API...but the difference is that it's new and it works !! :-)
Old 13th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The Distressor's 'Bypass' switch 'Hardwires' the input directly to the output, using a relay for switching purposes.

The only thing that can color sound in the 'Bypass' mode is the relay itself, or the input and output connectors!! dfegad grggt
Old 13th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In General (!!!!!!), I'd say, the transformer has more to do with coloration of a sound that even "tubes", UNLESS (!!!!) you are overdriving the tubes.

Many enigeers like doing this with 1176's (not bypassed, but just passing signal through without compressing) The 1176 is a really good example of a transformer coloring the sound IMO. Try it sometime.
Old 13th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
E-Cue is right on with that one!!

That's why (Speaking of Empirical Labs) the FATSO has a transformer insert-able into the rest of the signal processing circuitry!!

However, unfortunately, the inputs and outputs on a Distressor are differentially balanced, with no transformers in site...

Even if there were transformers used for the inputs and outputs, the relay 'hardwires' connector to connector, in the bypass mode, making the point moot!! dfegad grggt
Old 14th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by THEMIXFIX
That's why (Speaking of Empirical Labs) the FATSO has a transformer insert-able into the rest of the signal processing circuitry!!
Interesting...
Old 14th October 2002
Founder

Hey Bob I suspect my Fatso has something up with it can you PM me Dave Derr's private email? I need to ask him some questions.
πŸ“ Reply