Quantcast
Spring Reverb - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spring Reverb
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Spring Reverb

I'm thinking of getting a spring reverb unit for processing line level signals. I see the somewhat expensive ones like Demeter around, but I'm wondering about cheaper options. Radial makes the TankDriver, which you just plug into an existing tank. Questions: do you just need something like an Accutronics to work with this, or is it more specific? Is there a cheaper and/or non-500 series option for this? Why exactly do I need the tank driver? Can I rig something with existing preamps? Thanks.
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You don't need a tank driver. A $30 headphone amp will do. Check out this guy build one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnvlc1dG_UU
Old 15th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi ➑️
You don't need a tank driver. A $30 headphone amp will do. Check out this guy build one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnvlc1dG_UU
How would one use a headphone amp?

Not looking for a DIY project - just an off the shelf unit that is ready to use.

Edit: I think I see. I can just run the input signal from a headphone amp (or the headphone out of my interface), and then the output of the tank into a mic pre to make up the gain loss? Will this sound as good as a dedicated unit?

Last edited by SampleHold; 15th March 2016 at 03:02 AM..
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a ghetto spring set-up at my home studio/writing room. It's an old tank pulled from an amp. I screwed it to the side of my wooden rack. It gets fed from one of the aux sends on the board and then returns to a di/mic pre. It's a bit noisy but it works just fine and sounds as good as some of the rack mount springs I've owned over the years.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkshop ➑️
I have a ghetto spring set-up at my home studio/writing room. It's an old tank pulled from an amp. I screwed it to the side of my wooden rack. It gets fed from one of the aux sends on the board and then returns to a di/mic pre. It's a bit noisy but it works just fine and sounds as good as some of the rack mount springs I've owned over the years.
Thanks. Sounds like it's worth a try. The tanks are like $25 new, so no big risk.
Old 15th March 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
You can rig up your own amp--there's plenty of examples of that on the web. But I like the Radial Tank Driver. It has eq (which they call boom and shimmer) and a blend knob. It does the job well and I can easily plug any reverb tank old or new into it.
Old 15th March 2016
Old 15th March 2016

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Not all headphone amps can drive an 8 ohm load - try to get a decent headphone amp. On a lot equipment the headphone amp is a cheap compromise, because it's typically just for practice or monitoring. A quality DAC that has a built in headphone amp should be really good for this. I would use a good hi-z active DI box to record the output of the spring. Some transformer isolation to prevent ground loop hum might be wise - good DI boxes offer this.

Springs are also a magnet for EMI - I would want to mount the spring inside a steel box - with plenty of foam to dampen unwanted noise.
Old 15th March 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleHold ➑️
I'm thinking of getting a spring reverb unit for processing line level signals. I see the somewhat expensive ones like Demeter around, but I'm wondering about cheaper options. Radial makes the TankDriver, which you just plug into an existing tank. Questions: do you just need something like an Accutronics to work with this, or is it more specific? Is there a cheaper and/or non-500 series option for this? Why exactly do I need the tank driver? Can I rig something with existing preamps? Thanks.
I have a massive-sounding stereo 4-tank piece that a friend and I built in the vein of the Zerotronics coolsprings: CoolSprings Stereo Reverb System

4 Accutronics tanks in a 2U rack case. 2 tanks per side in parallel humbucking configuration. We built it to take mono -> stereo or stereo -> stereo input. I amplify the resulting signal with a pair of preamps.

(thumbsup)

Old 15th March 2016
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
@ jakeblues ,
Would love to see a picture of your spring build.

Just wired up two of my springs,a cheap DOD and the Radial Tank Driver.(Accutronics)
Sounds really good,crappy good,so wrong its right.
No plugs can get the wrong right.

Tank driver is worth the asking price,good stuff.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflag ➑️
+1. If you have an extra space in your 500 case, the Tank Driver is nice, clean, and gives you some (very simplified) EQ control. I use it often.
Old 15th March 2016
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
There are some spring reverb modules in the Eurorack world. Doepfer A-199, Intellijel Springray, Metasonix R-56, and more. There's also the Knas Ekdahl Moisturizer.

Last edited by albiedamned; 15th March 2016 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: I meant A-199 not A-198
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by albiedamned ➑️
There's also the Knas Ekdahl Moisturizer.
the little spring on this sounds pretty lush and amazing. plus it's exposed so you can get your sound design on with it. throw in a filter and LFO and this is one of my favorite little boxes
Old 15th March 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
My favorite that i own is the Acmeverb. It's a tube driven spring reverb unit. I love how the tubes can overdrive the effect and it's just beautiful and very versatile. I've only used it on guitar so far though.

Here's a little demo i did when i got it

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by albiedamned ➑️
There's also the Knas Ekdahl Moisturizer.
I've got that one too. Very cool unit.

The Uverbia is another pedal form i'd like to try
Old 15th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
All you need to know to DIY Spring Reverb

This stuff really works / sounds great !...
Old 16th March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflag ➑️
@ jakeblues ,
Would love to see a picture of your spring build.

Just wired up two of my springs,a cheap DOD and the Radial Tank Driver.(Accutronics)
Sounds really good,crappy good,so wrong its right.
No plugs can get the wrong right.

It's pretty exciting to look at, let me tell you:

I have it wired up right now in mono->stereo (it also does dual mono); if you want something run through it, just send it over!
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Reverb-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 16th March 2016
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have a fondness for Accutronics and like hearing some old recordings it was used on.
Old 16th March 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks all! Interested in the Knas - has anyone compared it to the Demeter or Furman units, setting aside the experimental possibilities and just using it as a straight reverb effect?
Old 17th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
knas sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleHold ➑️
Thanks all! Interested in the Knas - has anyone compared it to the Demeter or Furman units, setting aside the experimental possibilities and just using it as a straight reverb effect?
I don't have a demeter but i can compare it to a micmix 210. micmix is bigger, less springy, more plate-like. but the knas surprisingly good. so i use the Knas for various instruments -- it sounds great on pretty much anything. I use the micmix for vocals. this is partly due to ergonomics -- i don't have the Knas set up for mixing but for tracking, so i've actually never tried vocals thru it.

here are some mono drums going thru the Knas -- you can hear the filter and reverb settings, which change throughout:
Attached Files

drums thru knas.mp3 (1.27 MB, 1362 views)

Old 17th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi ➑️
I don't have a demeter but i can compare it to a micmix 210. micmix is bigger, less springy, more plate-like. but the knas surprisingly good. so i use the Knas for various instruments -- it sounds great on pretty much anything. I use the micmix for vocals. this is partly due to ergonomics -- i don't have the Knas set up for mixing but for tracking, so i've actually never tried vocals thru it.

here are some mono drums going thru the Knas -- you can hear the filter and reverb settings, which change throughout:
Very cool! Thanks for this.
Old 17th March 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Vermona currently makes several spring reverbs also.
Old 17th March 2016
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I had the guy over at VanAmps build me one. It's pretty basic. Stereo unit. Depth and level and that's it. Sounds cool though. I can't remember what I paid for it exactly, maybe like $350.

Oh and it's a racked version. He usually builds pedals.
πŸ“ Reply