Quantcast
recommanded to put my mic pre on a patch bay ?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recommanded to put my mic pre on a patch bay ??
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
recommanded to put my mic pre on a patch bay ??

Hi all,

Hope you can all help/advise me on this rather novice topic. I have a decent project studio using a ProTools HD2 and some nice outboards. Up until now i've been getting away without the need of a patch bay ( trying to adopt the purist, shortest path possible for best quality ) but i can no longer work this way as it drives me CRAZY and, to be honest, i rather have the 0.000001 % extra noise in my rig due to extra wiring as oppose to having to constantly go to the back of my rig to patch/unpatch.
Now the questions :
1- Is it OK to put mic pre's through the patch, if yes, then anything to watch out for ?? I have 8 GREAT Daking that i always use for my drums when tracking and when mixing i also patch my drum tracks to it for its beatiful EQ's so i guess i need to have it on a patch.
2- Aside from durability, are there any advantage ( sound quality wise ) to use TT versus a good 1/4 " patch ( like the Neutrik ). Since i suck at soldering, a 1/4 patch will probably be much easier for me.
Thanks
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
vudoo,

Assuming there are inserts for the EQ section of the Daking, you should probably work them into your bay. I'm having this done for the elops in my DVC.

I had a punch plate mounted to the back rails of my pre rack w/xlr jumpers to the inputs to cut down on the wear and tear of changing out mics all the time. This also makes the inputs more accessable and keeps me from having to dig around in the back of the rack.

My pres' outputs are normaled to the a/d 16's inputs but I have patch points on them to insert compression or other outboard gear before hitting the converters.

If you suck at soldering you might consider having a pro do the wiring. They also might suggest things to consider about wiring a bay that might not have occured to you. The wiring can probably be done for you at the techs location if you don't have access to a good tech locally, just make sure you give yourself room to expand the bay and plenty of wire in case you shift the control room around a bit.

I use TT now, in the past I've worked at studios with 1/4" and only prefer TT 'cause it takes up less less space (more patchpoints per rack space). I'm not aware of any sound advantage of TT vs. 1/4".

Good luck!
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

I would love to have TTs on my studio, but... they're toooooo expensive
Old 10th October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
one of the larger studios in LA just went to 1/4" bays claiming they sounded better due to a larger contact area. i dont know if this is actually true or not.

also, i have heard its a no no but what do people think about running the miclines to a patchbay? i have been going back and forth about this... right now i have them running direct from the live room panels into each pre and selecting pre's by where i plug the mics from the live room... unfortunately now my pres are running over my mic lines so i need to either add more lines to the live room or run them into a patch bay or move my pres into the live room [and run those to a patchbay possibly] but there is something to be said about having them in the CR with me being able to tweak levels as they are being tracked.
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
...also, i have heard its a no no but what do people think about running the miclines to a patchbay? ..... but there is something to be said about having them in the CR with me being able to tweak levels as they are being tracked.
I've heard this is a bad idea (Can someone explain why?), but I've seen XLR patch bays for mic-to-pre patching on the front panels of a rack though.

I prefer to have the pre in the control room but the run to the tracking room and booth isn't that long.
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If I've understood you correctly (which is perhaps a big "if" ) it's because bantam and 1/4" plugs and sockets don't like phantom power. I've worked in a studio recently where all the pres were brought up on an XLR patchbay for this reason.
Old 10th October 2002
Founder

XLR patchbay for Pre's rock!

I speced one for my patchbay...

XLR for live area - pre's inputs
TT for everything else
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ok guys maybe i did not explained myself clearly. I intend to plug my mic directly to the mic input of my pre. It's the LINE input ( on XLR ) and ouput that i would like to connect to the patchbay. Since my Daking has great EQs i would see myself using them during tracking AND mixing therefore i would need to have access to them during mix down so i don't think having a seperate XLR patchbay would work.
Anyways, would patching my mic directly to the pre and connecting the pre's line in/out on the patchbay OK ?? Thanks.
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If the "line input/output" is an insert for the EQ you can access the EQ section independently from the preamp through the patchbay. They could be just for unbalanced input/output though. I don't know Daking pres but a quick search on google/rap indicates that some units have inserts and some don't. I'm suprised it isn't labeled more clearly. Maybe their website or the manual or someone with experience with this unit could clear this up for you. Are you talking about the 52270?

Cheers!
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah it's the 52270B. In the back it has mic input and Line input and output, wich will go on the patch bay.
Old 10th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Mic lines on PB

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
also, i have heard its a no no but what do people think about running the miclines to a patchbay?
SSL are doing it (at least the 4kG+ that I was involved with). However, the patches are fully normalled. Probably to avoid any ****-ups with phantom power or impedance. I think one just needs to be aware of the phantom power issue (i.e. switching it off or at least muting the CH before patching) and then there is no problem.
And it's of course very convenient.

M.
Old 11th October 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
im pretty sure all the large frames i have worked on had the mic line as a patchpoint on the bays... im aware of the phantom issue but i dont do ANYTHING with the phantom engaged except record [no patching of any sort]
Old 11th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
If it helps, I have two patch bays in my room - one handles mic lines from the tracking room and the iso booths, half normalled to console preamps and to outboard preamps. The other, built into the console, handles all of the line level stuff. Preamps like the Daking have the mic input tied to the mic panel, and the line in and line out on the console patch bay. That way, I can access the line level input on the Daking whenever I want to use the EQ wihout using the pre.
Old 11th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just called Geoff Daking himself and he told me that it's NOT a problem whatsoever to have mic signal on a patch. The problem most people encounter has nothing to do with phantom but more likely to be the nature of the VERY weak signal coming from a mic patch.... so if there's any dirt or slight bad contacts, you will notice a major degradation in the signal...other than that, no problem...ahhhh !!! finally some straight answers from from someone who design GREAT pro audio stuff for a living.
I just did some drum tracks today and the studio had all their mic line on a patch, they use SSl and Neve.
πŸ“ Reply