1 x AKG C414 TLII
2 x Neumann KM184 (matched)
3 x Shure Beta 56
4 x Shure SM57
2 x Shure SM58
3 x AKG C1000s
1 x AKG C3000
1 x AKG D112

I use the KM184s for overheads, but I need a pair for room mics for drums. I thought of buying either another TLM103, another C414TLII, or a pair of AT4033s (or possibly 4040s)

Mice pres are Buzz Audio MA2.2, TLAudio C1, and a Soundcraft Ghost console.

Budget ain't much! Any thoughts?
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
How about a Royer 121 or 122? They are excellent all around mics. Another contender might be some Coles 4038. Good for room,overheads and brass.
Old 10th October 2002
Founder

Get some ribbons and a valve in your life

(In that order)

Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Personally I would lose the AKG C1000 & C3000 (even the D112 and... the NT2! :eek: ) and use what you get to buy some good dynamics : a Beyer M201 & or M88; a couple of Sennheiser MD421; an EV RE-20 even an RE-15 if you can find a used one for cheap. Also, as The Thrillfactor said, a pair of good ribbons like Royer R-121/122 or Coles 4038 or even Beyer 160.

Getting a second 414 could be useful. (Although I prefer 4050's to 414's these days... Unless they are old ones with CK12 capsules of course!) or even better a pair of U195!heh

This would give you a really nice palette to paint from...

After that, (when you have some serious dough piled up somewhere!) I would go for a high quality large diaphragm condenser ala Soundelux...

After that...

Have fun!yuktyy
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I think that if you get another 414 and then run them both through the C1 as overheads or room mics, you'll be happy with the sound. Also, when you can afford it, get a Royer r121.
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Two Baby Bottles or one Royer SF-12
Old 10th October 2002
Founder

Stuart Mac what medium are you recording on?

Ribbons are good for rock on digital.

Old 10th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
... and use what you get to buy some good dynamics : a Beyer M201 & or M88; a couple of Sennheiser MD421; an EV RE-20 even an RE-15 if you can find a used one for cheap. Also, as The Thrillfactor said, a pair of good ribbons like Royer R-121/122 or Coles 4038 or even Beyer 160.

Getting a second 414 could be useful. (Although I prefer 4050's to 414's these days... Unless they are old ones with CK12 capsules of course!) or even better a pair of U195!heh
After that, (when you have some serious dough piled up somewhere!) I would go for a high quality large diaphragm condenser ala Soundelux...
ditto on the ribbons/dynamics (maybe even an sm7?) The 4050 is on my wish list. The Brauner Valvet is pretty airy and sweet.

Anybody using pzm's for room mics anymore? The Dragonfly works well as a room mic for me.
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules, I'm recording onto Radar, usually directly from the Buzz pre
Old 11th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Dragonfly works well as a room mic for me
Are you using one or a pair ?

I have one and have toyed with buying another. What else have you like the Dragonfly on ?
Old 11th October 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Royer 121. DEFINITELY
Old 11th October 2002
Founder

I used one yesterday (and will later today) for "screaming section" rock vocals.

M149 was used on the verses...

Old 11th October 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover

Are you using one or a pair ?

I have one and have toyed with buying another. What else have you liked the Dragonfly on ?
I'm using one, would love another. I like it on some (mostly male/rock) vocals. It was real nice on a kick drum where we wanted an open resonant sound with no padding in the drum. Also used it as a distant mic on an acoustic guitar track. As a room mic I use it up against a wall pretty tite and squash it pretty hard (no surprises there!)
Old 11th October 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Haven't tried on Vox yet but on guitars it IS heaven. Finally found "my" (and everybody else that's used one grudge ) guitar sound. Couldn't imagine using anything else actually. Does that mean I'm "gear whipped"? All I know is that it FEELS SO GOOD!

Is anybody spinning the 121 around (ie singing into the "back") when doing vocals? And what about using their spiffy pop screen?

Another question: As O/H's. What you reckon? SF12 or two 121's?

Still haven't tried the SF12 yet (I'm sure it sounds great though. I'd especially like to try it as the stereo mic when recording string sections.) but am wondering if I should plump for a dedicated stereo mic or double up with the 121's.

Studio-wise having two 121's might be a little more practical.

Oh no... Come to think of it, then I'd need three! Two O/H and then another in front of the kit. ****!
Old 11th October 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
For overheads I'd get the SF-12 or the mono version. The 121 is nice but not as open sounding. I'd like to own a pair of those but since I have the Baby Bottles it's not a big priority.
πŸ“ Reply