stereo micing a gtr cab - any tips? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
stereo micing a gtr cab - any tips?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
stereo micing a gtr cab - any tips?

For single guitars

Would like to try this approach for a different sound, especially for a single guitar, and was wondering where to start?

Coincident or Blumlein in front? (the room is relatively dead)

Does anyone mic the back of a closed 4 x12, or off to the side for a sorta "low pass" signal to go opposite the main guitar.

I know Steve Vai has put room mics up high in the corners of his room and seriously compressed the room sound to "get some fat"
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
stike>>bump<<stike
Old 7th February 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are you miking a stereo cabinet using stereo effects during tracking? If so, just close mic each speaker with your favorite close mics and then add room mics wherever they sound good. A stereo room mic outside of the nearfield of the amp isn't really going to give you much stereo information. You could use an omni or figure 8 if you want more "roominess."

If you're miking a single speaker, or multi-speaker cab in mono, try close mics on different speakers or different locations on the same speaker (one near the center, one out toward the edge) and pan those. Do the same thing with room mics as above.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
mid-side

I'd say m-s or live, three microphones. Center being a bit louder then l-r. Allso with 3 microphones the guitar can be panned. Remember that, when it is in the way of the singer.
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
Does anyone mic the back of a closed 4 x12, or off to the side for a sorta "low pass" signal to go opposite the main guitar.

Somewhere I saw an article by guitarist/producer Elliot Randall where he suggested miking the top right side corner* of a Marshall 4x12 slant cabinet with a ribbon mic & mixing that in with an SM57 on one of the speaker cones & a condenser mic farther out front.

(*Yes, the side of the speaker cabinet. The wood.)

I tried it once, it was interesting, not mind-blowing...until I panned the ribbon opposite the 57. Boy howdie, now that was a bitchin' sound!

More often for stereo miking I put a spaced pair of omnis or an ORTF array several feet out in front of the speaker. Add a close mic...or not.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool --- Sounds like a great idea to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs ➑️
Are you miking a stereo cabinet using stereo effects during tracking? If so, just close mic each speaker with your favorite close mics and then add room mics wherever they sound good. A stereo room mic outside of the nearfield of the amp isn't really going to give you much stereo information. You could use an omni or figure 8 if you want more "roominess."

If you're miking a single speaker, or multi-speaker cab in mono, try close mics on different speakers or different locations on the same speaker (one near the center, one out toward the edge) and pan those. Do the same thing with room mics as above.
Cool thanks for the tips.

I'm referring to mono amps in a room. I really like the 3-D quality of some of the guitar tones on Hendrix's Electric ladyland, and want to experiment with this, especially for single guitars panned slightly to one side.

Maybe I should try binaural mics
Founder

Here is a panning option for guitar takes recorded with two mic's (one close - one distant)

Please excuse the poor drawing..

Jules age 6
Attached Thumbnails
stereo micing a gtr cab - any tips?-panning.gif  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LOL thanks Jules
Mastering Moderator

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
There are a million ways to mic a gtr cab and depends a lot on the space (as well as other factors)
try, try, try is the key, experiment.

I vote for a classic Blunleim (2 crossed fig of 8). Move around with headphones on.
if you have 2 ribbons around try 2 ribbons in Blunleim as well as LDC's.

Or just put a 441 next to a Beyer 160 and turn it up! heh

Above all keep Rockin' thumbsup
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Binaural anyone?

Has anyone here experimented with binaural on guitars for getting a god stereo image. i tried recording someone walking into a room once using a binaural pair of microphones. i sat in the same part of the room and then played it back. it was the most sensational stereo experience ive ever heard. it was actuallt very uncomfortable!

id love to know has anyone recorded an amp binaurally at the very left or right so the outermost mic is almost picking almost up no direct sound. i imagine it would be fatastic.
Old 8th February 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourceslut ➑️
Has anyone here experimented with binaural on guitars for getting a god stereo image
heh That tickled me
πŸ“ Reply