The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summing FF+Adat Phasing- Any Workaround?
Old 28th January 2007
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
aves's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Summing FF+Adat Phasing- Any Workaround?

Hi everyone,

I don't write very often cause the most issues are already well treated here, but
today I got aware of a problem, i couldn't find out more about.

I'm summing 16 channels out of the box using cubase sx3 and a FF with an ADI8 pro via ADAT.
today I found out, that the output latency through the ADAT is 3 samples higher than through the FF.
so i get a pretty bad and phasy signal if I run e.g. a snare drum out of the FF an send it in cubase to a bus with a comp that goes out to the ADAT interface.
That leads to the problem that I would have to seperate the whole signal chain and that every signal including all it's sends should run over the one or the other.
The signals through the adat would have to be moved by 3 samples.
This could be a problem using a room to melt signals together or compression and so on, because you can't delay the groups and the effect channels.
Why does cubase compensate the latency of the incomming signals comming through FF and ADAT, but have no possibility to compensate the outs?
is there a plugin for the busses, like in pro tools?

thanks and greetz,

michael
Old 28th January 2007
  #2
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aves ➑️
mpression and so on, because you can't delay the groups and the effect channels.
Why does cubase compensate the latency of the incomming signals comming through FF and ADAT, but have no possibility to compensate the outs?
is there a plugin for the busses, like in pro tools?

thanks and greetz,

michael
Its a problem for all platforms...Cubase,ProTools, etc. The latency is not in the buss but mixing the converted analog track with the original digital one. Your best bet is once you go analog stay there until the end or use plug ins for the comps.
Old 28th January 2007 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
aves's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
Its a problem for all platforms...Cubase,ProTools, etc. The latency is not in the buss but mixing the converted analog track with the original digital one. Your best bet is once you go analog stay there until the end or use plug ins for the comps.
sorry, my english is not that good ( and sometimes also my brain heh ) and maybe i didn't make my self clear but, in the summing stage every signal is already one time converted and is send one more time out of the box for summing. so the signals have the same amount of conversions, but sending the same track trough the FF and the ADI8 pro will delay the ADAT signal about 3 samples and start to phase, so i move it by that amount.
But if i send it through a digital bus in cubase wich doesn't use the same converter it will phase and i can't do anything, so i would need a way to manually delay everything.
Or am I wrong?

Thanks for the quick reply and all the bes

Michael


------------------------------------------
www.super700.de
myspace.com/super700
Old 28th January 2007 | Show parent
  #4
Company Rep
 
DrDeltaM's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Is there no sample delay plugin in Cubase?
If you're on PC, you could use this: http://www.voxengo.com/product/sampledelay/

You simply would have to put it on a setting of 3samples on the tracks/busses that directly output to the ADAT convertor.
Old 29th January 2007 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
aves's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM ➑️
Is there no sample delay plugin in Cubase?
If you're on PC, you could use this: http://www.voxengo.com/product/sampledelay/

You simply would have to put it on a setting of 3samples on the tracks/busses that directly output to the ADAT convertor.
Thanks DrDeltaM,
I think that's what I was looking for.
I'm on PC,
I'll try that out.
Like the rest of the Voxengo stuff, cool company.

All the best,

Michael
Old 29th January 2007 | Show parent
  #6
Company Rep
 
DrDeltaM's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Hope it works out for you!

I made a mistake by saying you've to put it on the tracks/busses that output to the ADAT convertor tho. The plugin of course needs to be placed on the tracks/busses that output to the FF convertors, as those outputs are 3 samples 'faster', so need the extra delay.
Old 29th January 2007 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
aves's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM ➑️
Hope it works out for you!

I made a mistake by saying you've to put it on the tracks/busses that output to the ADAT convertor tho. The plugin of course needs to be placed on the tracks/busses that output to the FF convertors, as those outputs are 3 samples 'faster', so need the extra delay.
your right. thanks
Old 30th January 2007 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
aves's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
pling!!!

now i have it....
i only have to put the +3 samples delay into an insert in every cubase output channel that goes to the FF, and i won't have to worry about anything else.
Pling!!!

sorry but my brain was out of order.....
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 610365
Avatar for smoke
smoke 1 week ago
replies: 55 views: 29842
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 97 views: 36802
Avatar for mowmow
mowmow 15th September 2010
replies: 1296 views: 176954
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump