Quantcast
Why all these Neve copies?! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why all these Neve copies?!
Old 9th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Why all these Neve copies?!

dfegad Why is it that almost every "so called" high end gear manuf. does Neve copies all the time!?!?! Neve this, Neve that!?!?!!?
Why is´nt there more guys like Dave Hill whos does it´s own thing? What we gear nerds need is new innovative stuff! New kind of compressors, eq, plugins....

Laaaaaaaater dudes.......
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Uhhhh. Quite a few people seem to liek the sound of Neve pres. Therefore, by the laws of supply and demand, a lot get made. New stuff is great, but they are just tools and we just use what works.

Ian
Old 9th October 2002
Yep Neve fever or 'better than Neve' fever seems to have truly set in.

However you couldn't pick a better place than Gearslutz to get help in picking one!

NURSE! I need my gear now!

Old 9th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by imacgreg
Uhhhh. Quite a few people seem to liek the sound of Neve pres. Therefore, by the laws of supply and demand, a lot get made. New stuff is great, but they are just tools and we just use what works.

Ian

yuktyy Have you seen any new innovative gear @ AES?? The new IBIZ eq from my man David Hill looks interresting......
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I saw some good gear. How about the new Millennia Media Direct box?? Got some features on that puppy that I've never seen before.
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Can't wait 'till Wiggy gets a hold of this thread.
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the same reasons there are millions of Fender and Martin copies...good stuff that works...

This can't do anything except benefit the community, while keeping the value of the originals high...
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Im here...

Well im glad someone bought this up... cos its been on my mind as well!

OK i am a certified neve slut. I love it.... But i also love the newer 'neve' type gear as well. When i say Neve gear i am of course talking about the 'classic' BA283 type amplifier building block transistor architecture that helped defined the aura that presently surround and fuels the lust for all things pre 1980 Neve.

I have not had much time to play with baby V types.... and VR's etc.. altho Kev who hangs here a bit repairs V's a bit @ a TV station so hes da man to chat to V about. He digs them a lot. But me i hhave only ever seen one ata mates studio.. yet to use one properly but i would be astounded if they sucked ass! I meana neve is a neve.. just there were some ****ing dog neves afer rupert left!!!!! read 8128!!!!!

Whilst living here in Australia we have little or no access to any 'neve alikes' out here...save the few Shep modules that i have imported into Australia. So i can only genuinely say that compared to my favourite custom 8024 they are every bit as good. Granted that the SHEPS have original marinaiire Xformers which is a large part of the neve sound, and original inductors for the EQ. Any one who manages to find orig XFMRs or NOS and a diagram shoudl be able to make a pretty **** hot copy that will be very closely in the region of original specs, sound etc. This is what Kev's group DIY @ recording.ord is looking into.. ther u go kev a free plug!

One reason that most people go on and on about the brand new 'Neve alikes' is the fact that they are often comparing them to Neves that may be in sore need of some TLC..eg a total recap or reswitching. So these are some of the issues they need to be aware of when making a comparison. Unfortunately most neves are in this state when people find them unless the dealer or person selling them has recapped/fixed etc up to original spec etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the original Neve gear once it has been recapped etc should come out sounding better than the newer gear becuase of the higher quality capacitors that are around these days compared to old crappy poly caps etc. Plus you are getting original XFRMS...!!!

SO why do people copy it?

Simple... Rupert and crew got it right!!!!!! Once Neve gear is upto spec its a simple pleasure to use and listen too. Even if its not it still sounds great..... just not AS GREAT!!! lol. But also i think some people have been quick to jump ontot he whole retro type bandwagon and be able to make a $$ from it as well. AMS neve still owns the complete rights to all the classic circuits that everyone is ripping off. The only problem is that unless they get too good at it or do it in sufficient volume, its not worth AMS pursuing it through bull**** courtsystems etc.... So everyone go ya hardest!!!

I liken the current 'Neve alike' syndrome to Asian rolex copywatches.... i mean everyone wants one of them so why wouldb't ppl want a 'neve alike'? which claims to be essential the same only cheaper. Its all just a manner of symantic and bull**** opinions... what ever works for you and gives u a woody!!! I love both the real deal and my SHEPS

So there u go...

PEACE
Wiggy

Its
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the 8108 barks loud like the 8128...and the touch matrix didnt help either
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Re: Why all these Neve copies?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
dfegad Why is it that almost every "so called" high end gear manuf. does Neve copies all the time!?!?! Neve this, Neve that!?!?!!? ydoo
Easy, BUY one and you will find out.
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Why all these Neve copies?!

Quote:
Originally posted by 20db.com

Easy, BUY one and you will find out.
.......had and sold......:eek:
Old 1st November 2002
Kev
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks Wiggy for the Group DIY plug.

Yes we do have a very slow moving project based on the Neve BA283 board.
This covers the Mic-pre bit of things from 1066 to 1081 and 1290 and of course 1272.
We intend to keep things close to original but also keep options open. Practically an imposible task.

Knowledge of this circuit is pretty wide spread and as Dan Kennedy says "the magic is in the detail". The small details.

I guess if more was known about the inside working of the 990 there might be more clones of that.

The other thing about the Neve is that the basic BA283 board was used for a number of dutie throughout the Neve desk and so there were many of them made. There have been removed and rack up and still people want more ..... hence many clones.

As people get control of their DAWs they will go looking for that little bit extra and I'm sure we will see more clones of classics ... Telefunken, RCA, Urei etc and subtle variations on a theme. Universal Audio already have a healthy product list of this nature.

Wiggy is very keen on a type4000 buss compressor. You can work out the inspiration on this one. I hope he will be pleased.

soon Wiggy ... soon
📝 Reply