Quantcast
Lumpy basement floor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lumpy basement floor
Old 9th October 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Lumpy basement floor

So I'm just about at the stage where it's time to put down a floor in my basement for the studio (I'll post a picture when it's done), and I have a number of options.

The main problem that I have is that the concrete floor of my basement is very uneven, so I can't just slap down plywood and then hardwood without leveling things.

Here are the options as I see them.

1) Buy concrete floor leveler. I think I'll need a lot (total space is 32x12 with up to 1.5 inches height difference), so this would likely be the most expensive option.

2) Build wood framing for floor and shim to death. Put plywood on that.

3) Get a truck full of sand to back up to my basement window and unload. Level sand...place plywood on this. Note...my wife expresses the greatest degree of skepticism with this plan.

In all of these plans there will be a vapor barrier between the plywood (or sand) and the concrete.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm listening. Also any comments on potential problems with the above plans would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
:P
Old 9th October 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Option #1 is probably the best. Option #2 is lots of work and will probably make you crazy. Also, you'll need to make sure the shims are nailed into place so they don't slip out of place in a few years. #3 Could work well as long as you trap the sand so it doesn't leak out into cracks and stuff.

Or how about option #4? Hire someone to come in and level it out for you. Either that or divide the space up so that the rooms have different ceiling heights based on the high points.
Old 9th October 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Option #4 sounds good, if it weren't for $$.

As for the different ceiling heights...that's not really the problem. It's not that the floor drops height over distance. It's just lumpy...like that half eaten bowl of oatmeal that you left in the sink overnight. If I were lay a piece of plywood flat on it, it could double as a crude surfing simulator.

I think that Option #1 is the most appealing to me right now on a number of levels. It's just a matter of cost. There seems to be floor leveling stuff that you just pour and a day later you can walk on it.
Old 9th October 2002
Founder

Concrete is a LOT cooler than ply soundwise IMHO.
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are several ways to do this, and yes, this is an expert opinion.

1. Concrete levelling materials like gyp crete are quick and easy nailable solutions to your problem.

2. Another concrete topping/levelling material is Ardex and it can be stained and sealed for a good look without having to use wood. It bonds to the existing concrete and forms a minimum of 4000psi strength with only a 1/4" thick application. It's not the cheapest but without the cost of wood it may be a good option.

3. Shimming is going to be a nightmare and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I told you so.

Your # 3 is not an option... you may want to listen to your wife more than I do mine.
Old 9th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
To add to the deal....One of our (I'm paul's "better" half...don't tell his wife) problems is we have a stairway going down to the floor...before we frame it we need to decide the final "height" of the floor...(and yes we are doing it all legal like with permits). There is a temp one there for now (the old one) but the new one is going to be a combo landing/stair/jules amp gimp-hole so it's not something I want to build twice. We might run into problems with the final inspection if we build it assuming a floor and there is none.

I don't mind leaving it concrete for now but one of our goals was to create something that would resemble finished living space when we move out in 2 years (ie finished family room w/ warm floor).

My father in law builds gunite pools so I'll ask him about the gyp crete or ardex on the cheap.

Ken

Fibes, don ax me why, but you did you go to Mass Art?
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
lemme know what the prices are...

I have been to Mass Art but only for workshops and exhibitions. I saw the Hiroshima drawings/paintings there last. I think a few of my high school buds went there however. That and NESAD... My degree is from SCAD. PM me if you have any other questions.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…