The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet first impressions
Old 14th August 2022
Gear Head
Back once again, my mixing/mastering experiments with this box are finally paying off. Legit can't believe how far I came in a month (and how much the SB had to do with it)... I shared a before & after of a friend's demo that I partly tracked through the SB (lead vocals and clap track) and then mixed all the stems through the SB, finishing with inserting the SB on the 2-bus. This is the first song I ever finished top to bottom with the SB at the heart of the workflow, + some hardware compressor action & plugins.

As a self-taught bedroom engineer (& artist) I never, ever thought I could get something like this out of my setup but it turns out the party's just getting started
Attached Files

Before.wav (5.45 MB, 2047 views)

After.wav (5.46 MB, 1931 views)

Old 16th August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, I set the jumpers, 25/26 to 1-2, and it appears as tho the C module is still post A/N, as it behaving the same way.

Am I missing something?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Is there a way to mod the SB MK1 with a switchable insert? thinking about the jumper settings, but I'm not sure if it's a) wise to change them during operation and b) even possible to completely disable the inserts via those jumpers? maybe remove it entirely? would need a pin diagram to know for sure)

And - second question - I assume the inserts will break the signal path the moment I plug something into the jacks, so using a Patchbay I'd have to use the passthrough function (or patch through send to return) so I get signal at all, right?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_b ➡️
Is there a way to mod the SB MK1 with a switchable insert? thinking about the jumper settings, but I'm not sure if it's a) wise to change them during operation and b) even possible to completely disable the inserts via those jumpers? maybe remove it entirely? would need a pin diagram to know for sure)

And - second question - I assume the inserts will break the signal path the moment I plug something into the jacks, so using a Patchbay I'd have to use the passthrough function (or patch through send to return) so I get signal at all, right?
I can't answer the first question, but the answer to the second one is yes. You'll need to have the sends normalled to the returns or keep a patch cable in there because the inserts do break the signal path when they've got a plug in them.
Here for the gear

Quote:

Update on my switchable insert investigation:

According to the manual, the Insert is always on in Mix mode, so using the Jumper pins won't be of any use there. I could use the Mix as bypass and always run the unit in Track mode, then I could use the Jumpers, but I can't tell if it's safe to switch the jumper connection during operation. Maybe I'll reach out to the LTL support about this.

Second idea to approach this: Swap the insert jacks for ones without a switch, figure out the use and connection of the plug switch and tap in with a double throw switch. Sounds more promising and would offer a more "general" solution.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Update on my switchable insert investigation:

According to the manual, the Insert is always on in Mix mode, so using the Jumper pins won't be of any use there. I could use the Mix as bypass and always run the unit in Track mode, then I could use the Jumpers, but I can't tell if it's safe to switch the jumper connection during operation. Maybe I'll reach out to the LTL support about this.

Second idea to approach this: Swap the insert jacks for ones without a switch, figure out the use and connection of the plug switch and tap in with a double throw switch. Sounds more promising and would offer a more "general" solution.
I agree you should reach out to LTL. Brad will help you out!

If you are going to build a switch external to the unit, I don't know that you need to bother with swapping out the jacks for unswitched. Unless your planned switch is very far away from the Silver Bullet, there's not going to be much noise added, and assuming the switch has a "bypass" position that routes the send back to the return, no harm should be done. You could do it all with one triple switch... since the insert is unbalanced you'd just need one point for ground, one point for bypass, and one point for your "engaged" setting. Don't overthink it! Unless you want the switch like 50-100 feet from the unit, there's no real reason to worry about noise.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If any mk1 owners need an proper stereo insert cable set, I have a nice one available. PM me.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The SB routing is genius

You can build a killer chain and have it on the master bus (mix)

But then switch it to a tracking channel (track)

I have an old very clean speck mixer

This way I can have SB as insert on master OR
Insert on channel 7/8

And when I switch to 7/8 the master still passes signal

Then I can switch a microphone and track into my killer chain

Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
How many people are using the Silver Bullet in a mastering chain?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampar ➡️
I'm using it as pre-master, or to do the creative part of the mastering before the technical side, if you will.

Mostly a touch of EQ and a bit of API flavour, but that's about it.

I like to see the meters work as I mix tho!
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampar ➡️
I typically add a little N>A and some air + a touch of sub bass in the mastering chain, sometimes I also engage "tight". Rarely engage vintage in mastering but I use it all the time on vocals.
📝 Reply