The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone compare the Wunder CM49 to Flea 49?
Old 12th December 2015

🎧 5 years
Anyone compare the Wunder CM49 to Flea 49?

I'm curious how they compare as the Flea is a good bit cheaper, and I know they use some of the same parts. I've got a CM7 and two CM67s, so I am pretty sold on the sound of Wunder mics, but if I can save some money that's always a plus.
Old 15th October 2021

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBSC ➡️
I'm curious how they compare as the Flea is a good bit cheaper, and I know they use some of the same parts. I've got a CM7 and two CM67s, so I am pretty sold on the sound of Wunder mics, but if I can save some money that's always a plus.
Hi. I dont know any of these mics but im trying to decide between the cm7s and the cm67s. mostly for vocals. how do they compare? is one better than the other?
Old 15th October 2021 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitsky ➡️
Hi. I dont know any of these mics but im trying to decide between the cm7s and the cm67s. mostly for vocals. how do they compare? is one better than the other?
I think they are similar in overall quality. The cm67s are more versatile. The cm7 has a classier sound, but it rounds the attack of vocals and instruments and softens the treble range, while the cm67 does much less and has a faster, more dynamic envelope. If just for rich and smooth vocals, the cm7. But if using a lot of sources and faster/more aggressive vocals, the cm67.
Old 21st October 2021 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think they are similar in overall quality. The cm67s are more versatile. The cm7 has a classier sound, but it rounds the attack of vocals and instruments and softens the treble range, while the cm67 does much less and has a faster, more dynamic envelope. If just for rich and smooth vocals, the cm7. But if using a lot of sources and faster/more aggressive vocals, the cm67.
thanks for the info! I definitely want whatever is going to be smoother for melodic/ non-aggressive vocals
Old 22nd October 2021
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Just save up your pennies if you can.

I have it on on good authority that Neumann/Sennheiser is about to Reissue the M49 or as I call it the "Barbara Streisand Microphone".

They are only making 100 or so.
Price????
A cool $10K to start.
Old 23rd October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️
Just save up your pennies if you can.

I have it on on good authority that Neumann/Sennheiser is about to Reissue the M49 or as I call it the "Barbara Streisand Microphone".

They are only making 100 or so.
Price????
A cool $10K to start.
Looks like I need to start moving some gear out to put some funds together. Any idea when this may happen?
Old 23rd October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV ➡️
Looks like I need to start moving some gear out to put some funds together. Any idea when this may happen?
I think they will make the announcement at AES.

Right now their main problem is they are out of stock on just about everything. Because of the shortages around the world, its left them at a lost trying to fufill the orders they had after Covid.

So they are really behind.
We are talking all of their lines, mics, speakers, stage equipment, etc.
Old 23rd October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Hey Thrill,

If that’s the case what are they doing for the AC701k tube? I’d love it if they could reissue that tube.

Wiggy
Old 23rd October 2021
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I can only tell you, I just finished a record where I was able to compare my Flea 49 against two original M49s.

The Flea was indistinguishable. That's not hyperbole. We did several vocal tracks with both mics, each using the same exact chain, and I had the assistant make a random vocal comp, cutting between the two tracks - same performance, mind you.

It was impossible to hear any difference.

We did the same for a drum track and a piano track. Same result. I was very pleased.
Old 26th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJamesGoody ➡️
I can only tell you, I just finished a record where I was able to compare my Flea 49 against two original M49s.

The Flea was indistinguishable. That's not hyperbole. We did several vocal tracks with both mics, each using the same exact chain, and I had the assistant make a random vocal comp, cutting between the two tracks - same performance, mind you.

It was impossible to hear any difference.

We did the same for a drum track and a piano track. Same result. I was very pleased.
If your FleA 49 has an AC701 in it then it would be too close to tell them which was an original and which was the replica. I demoed one that was frighteningly close to an M49 I had done some session work with.
Old 27th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Hey Thrill,

If that’s the case what are they doing for the AC701k tube? I’d love it if they could reissue that tube.

Wiggy
Yes a lot of us could breathe easier and surely it’s possible.
Old 27th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Hey Thrill,

Wiggy
Just asked and was told "will find out and get more details".
Also was told they might hold back the announcement till next year.
Right now they are really, really, really behind in orders. Was told will take months maybe till the end of next year to catch up. Also to prepare for a price hike on all Neumann/Senheisser products (not like they will have anything in stock for a while anyway). Glad I already have the reissue 67, because with the price hikes and unavailability till the middle/end of next year, it will probably end up being too expensive anyways.

This also means that the used market will skyrocket/price gauge for their products(especially the 67 reissue).
Old 28th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Just asked and was told "will find out and get more details".
Also was told they might hold back the announcement till next year.
Right now they are really, really, really behind in orders. Was told will take months maybe till the end of next year to catch up. Also to prepare for a price hike on all Neumann/Senheisser products (not like they will have anything in stock for a while anyway). Glad I already have the reissue 67, because with the price hikes and unavailability till the middle/end of next year, it will probably end up being too expensive anyways.

This also means that the used market will skyrocket/price gauge for their products(especially the 67 reissue).
Interesting news Thrill. Would be great to get a pair if they're true to the original sound and a decent price.
I was using my 67RI's with NOS Tele tubes on a Fender Rhodes Suitcase cab today and they sounded glorious.
Old 28th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G ➡️
Interesting news Thrill. Would be great to get a pair if they're true to the original sound and a decent price.
I was using my 67RI's with NOS Tele tubes on a Fender Rhodes Suitcase cab today and they sounded glorious.
Soon as one is in production i will hopefully get to test it and report on it.( crossing fingers).

But to be honest even at $10K each its out of my stratosphere these days, especially with what streaming is pulling in.

Yeah i was skeptical about my reissue 67, but once it breaks in( using an Amperex tube) it really is useful. My most used vocal mics these days.
Old 28th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Good news … I’m selling two original 1965 U67’s soon!

Bingo
Wiggy
Old 19th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Neumann added a video where the artist sings into the M49 microphone, which looks very similar to a brand new one. Could this be the M49 Reissue?

"Sennheiser sessions"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM8otZH2h_4

Quote:
Soon as one is in production i will hopefully get to test it and report on it.( crossing fingers).

But to be honest even at $10K each its out of my stratosphere these days, especially with what streaming is pulling in.

Yeah i was skeptical about my reissue 67, but once it breaks in( using an Amperex tube) it really is useful. My most used vocal mics these days.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad ➡️
Neumann added a video where the artist sings into the M49 microphone, which looks very similar to a brand new one. Could this be the M49 Reissue?

"Sennheiser sessions"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM8otZH2h_4

Yeah that totally looks brand new. Wow!!!!!

Just wish they would do the classic chrome look connector. The black looks less classy.

And fingers super crossed for a new good ac701 tube :D

Price would be acceptable around 6-8k. Above that it's just ridiculous.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen ➡️
Yeah that totally looks brand new. Wow!!!!!

Just wish they would do the classic chrome look connector. The black looks less classy.

And fingers super crossed for a new good ac701 tube :D
Yes, it looks a lot like a new microphone! And it seems the shockmount is new too!
damn, I bought a u67 Reissue three days ago, I'll have to save money again.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Squad ➡️
Yes, it looks a lot like a new microphone! And it seems the shockmount is new too!
damn, I bought a u67 Reissue three days ago, I'll have to save money again.
Haha jeez! Well look it like this either you have to be super lucky getting one from the first batch or you have to wait 1-2y to get one. But damn. Excited!
Old 19th December 2021
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I am so here for an M49 reissue. That said, I heard it was going to be closer to 10k. If it’s pricing is comparable to the U67 reissue that would be amazing. I’ve got my feelers out and when it’s available I’m ordering it.
Old 20th December 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Congrats on the new U67 Husky!
Chris
Old 20th December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Congrats on the new U67 Husky!
Chris
Thank you so much, Chris!