The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building new room, need control rm design/ gear consult So. Ca.
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Building new room, need control rm design/ gear consult So. Ca.

Hi all. I've been working the last year or so in a pretty large "project" studio. Gutted 1500 sq ft Victorian in Oceanside Ca.
The land lord decided to sell ( breaking a verbal agreement) and we're gonna move. The upside is that we found a great room down the street 2 blocks, twice the space, with room to grow past that, and the price is right. (we'll be leasing for 4 yrs with options.)

We pretty much built the current room ourselves with some help from a few readily available books but on this go-around we'd like to do it as pro as possible. My mission is to find either off the shelf plans for a control room or hire a designer to at least get us in the ball park. we'll swing the hammers.

the budget is limited....(duh) 30k for the whole shooting match.( that's materials, moving costs and labor that we can't handle) The tracking room I'm not too worried about...we can stumble along and work that out as we go. It'll be about 1000-1200 sq feet.

We really want a great sounding control room, one that can grow into 5.1 mixing, a room not big enough to encourage a lot of hanging out in but that is sonically accurate and efficient for our and hopefully visiting engineer/producers needs.

I spoke with a couple of the big designers and obviously we're way too small a fish for most, but I can't help thinking there is someone out there that is hungry and would want to expand their portfolio...???

I'm thinking 5 k or so for design/consult on the control room. am I completely dreaming?

Any and all advice and direction would be appreciated, ecspecially those of you working in or the higher end places....what would attract you to a smaller..."big" project room. Amenities, gear, rates ????

We're about an hour and a half drive to L.A. ,with an Am trak Station 3 blocks away and 3 blocks from some of the most beautiful beaches in so Ca.

I'd be glad to pay for a day of consulting from one of you guys in L.A. if you think you could help. Thanks alot, Craig Zarkos Proxy Music
rollz
Old 9th October 2002
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Fran Manzella at FM Design does great work. He is very reasonable. His number is 1****4-248-7680. he is in New York but he can do your job remotely with no problem.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks Ted.
Old 10th October 2002
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
George Augspurger
Perception, Inc.
Los Angeles, CA 90026-2070
(323) 665-0191

George is the guy most people get referred to when their brand spanking new studio turns out to suck. A few people are wise enough to call him before-hand!
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have no idea as to the rate, but I am a huge fan of Russ Berger in Dallas, and he is a super nice fella.. did you give them a call?
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm afraid both George & Russ may be too pricey..
Old 10th October 2002
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I agree. That's why I suggested Fran...

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 10th October 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by MIKEHARRIS
I'm afraid both George & Russ may be too pricey..
Augspurger is stunningly inexpensive - much less the Francis or Russ or anyone else, and is the only guy I'd trust to design a new room.

Call him - you will not believe how affordable he is...
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As a side note, check out the renewal terms carefully for your prospective new space. Once the landlord knows how much money you have spent in the place he might be tempted to hold you as hostage with excessive terms, knowing how much you would loose going somewhere else.

That happened to someone I know...tut

Good luck with your project!
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Augspurger is stunningly inexpensive - much less the Francis or Russ or anyone else, and is the only guy I'd trust to design a new room.

Call him - you will not believe how affordable he is...
I'ts really looking like it's either a complete DIY job or a max of about 5k to involve a designer...(plans only) only concerned about the control room. Anyone that has direct experience with the above mentioned or others and would know if that amount of $$$ would get us a return phone call? thanks
Old 10th October 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz

I'ts really looking like it's either a complete DIY job or a max of about 5k to involve a designer...(plans only) only concerned about the control room. Anyone that has direct experience with the above mentioned or others and would know if that amount of $$$ would get us a return phone call? thanks
You'll get a return call from Augspurger for that.

Trust me, you're in.
Old 11th October 2002
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
George can usually save you FAR more than he costs. He knows every trick in the book to repurpose reasonably-priced construction methods for a significant acoustical advantage. He's the kind of guy who will tell you to put in bookshelves rather than expensive acoustical diffusers.
Old 11th October 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
I think you've gotten some pretty good advice. $5k is enough to get some servicing; it's just a question of what. Pick up the phone and go for it.

Jon
Old 12th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2 years ago, I didn't think somebody like Russ Berger would even return a call from "small fries" like me and Pam. Now he's one of our best friends, and we're making music in a fantastic sounding studio he and his A-team designed.

He's a great Human being, and he's enriched our lives so much, it's hard to believe I almost didn't call him that day, because I thought he was just too expensive.
Old 12th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Randy,

That is why I reccomended him, when I lived in Dallas, I called RBDG looking for a contact for work ( who better to know studios in the sera, right?) he had my wife and I come over to the shop for an afternoon, and spend about three hours with us, just chatting and giving me names and numbers. Great guy.

Ausburger is no slouch however, he is def not a second choice either.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…