The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES demos...There's gotta be a better way
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AES demos...There's gotta be a better way

Okay. GML, rocks ass. Crane Song, rocked my world. Manley, eh, same mushy sound and lame business practices.

Now, how the eff am I supposed to really get a good idea of how a new peice of gear sounds/functions if I'm stuck demo'ing it with a set of ****ty Fostex headphones ? Several of these companies are cool enough to offer to let me check their stuff out a day or so after the convention, but even then, it's just a sales pitch.

Perhaps a bunch of gobos? A main stage that would have scheduled demos? After the first couple of booths I went to, I found myself thinking yet again, there's got to be a better way for these folks to show off their warez.
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What? You can't tell the subtle differences between two microphones with a pair of cheap headphones in a convention center surrounded by thousands of people and music blasting you from every direction?

What's wrong with you?
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You have a point there. I mean, if I can't hear the subtle diferences of an eq over the cocktail party effect, then how will the people that listen to my mixes be able to tell at house parties, clubs, etc.
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
not as bad as namm but still pretty impossible to hear the sonic differences between gear.

i just had to laugh at one booth where two sets of monitors were blasting sound from two different products while a third set of speakers were slamming in the next booth. huh? what? it does what?
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think all manufacturers should personally drop off the gear to us for a free evaluation period.
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A lot of these peices of gear cost thousands of dollars. I'm not gonna buy a car before I properly test drive it one on one.
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Your local dealer should provide the goods for you to checkout with your stuff..in a familiar space. You're lucky (?) to have all those cool companies in your backyard!!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…