The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focal Alpha 65 or Neumann KH 120
Old 14th October 2015 | Show parent
  #61
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
You have two problems:

1. You are trying to come to some sort of sensible conclusion based on construction logic about gear you have never heard. Not going to happen.

2. You are already questioning yourself, although you haven't even heard the gear yet.

Now, if you just go listen to these tools, and then don't question yourself after you come to a natural conclusion which speaker is right for you from hearing for yourself, your riddle will be solved. And very easily, at that.
I know man. Unless I plan on driving out of state to listen to these tools that won't happen. I'm also a pay check away from making a purchase.
Old 15th October 2015
  #62
Gear Addict
 
nicksu's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Another thing I like about the Neumanns is the size and construction. They have metal grills and are small for easy placement. I don't think you would be disappointed with either unless something was faulty with the electronics or structure. I have no problems with the bass output. I actually cut the bass back a little because of my small room... then again, I'd been mixing for years on NS10's and fine-tuning bass on headphones, so the way I listen may be different from normal people.
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #63
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewalk ➑️
Don't over think it. The Neumanns are great, I'm sure the Focal are fine but if you want to spend more to get a better monitor then do it. You can always resell if you don't like so you have nothing to lose.
What's spend more money have to do with anything? It's not like one costs $50 & the other at $10,000 is probably better.
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #64
Gear Head
 
jTactics's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflux ➑️
2. The build quality is as you would expect from a large, successful brand like Focal. I doubt they would allow a product to go out and tarnish their reputation when the build speakers like the Grand Utopia III !
Read their headphone reviews on the focal spirit one pros. Everyone I know that has them, have to keep returning them with cracking issues. Major design flaw and in my opinion they should recall them, because a $350-$400 headphone shouldn't do that. Granted cans are not speakers, but it has left me a little less wide eyed about focal.

Having said all of that, I would still buy the Focal CMS 65s over the KH 120s, but I am still shopping and might go into the $3000 range, it seems less hit and miss and more competitive.
Old 15th October 2015
  #65
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
After auditioning both , i would say the Alpha's highs are kind of "dull" or rolled off or something...maybe just too smooth.
But i like bright and dry sound in general(Genelec sound for example) so take it with a grain of salt.
I also heard the Solo 6 , and they were AMAZING. The highs were much more natural sounding then the Alpha's.
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #66
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimisrandma ➑️
What's spend more money have to do with anything? It's not like one costs $50 & the other at $10,000 is probably better.
It has everything to do with the OP. If you have an issue with it, then reply to the guy who started the thread...
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #67
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTactics ➑️
Read their headphone reviews on the focal spirit one pros. Everyone I know that has them, have to keep returning them with cracking issues. Major design flaw and in my opinion they should recall them, because a $350-$400 headphone shouldn't do that. Granted cans are not speakers, but it has left me a little less wide eyed about focal.

Having said all of that, I would still buy the Focal CMS 65s over the KH 120s, but I am still shopping and might go into the $3000 range, it seems less hit and miss and more competitive.
You're quite right - this was an issue that Focal had with a large initial batch of the headphones (they aren't made at the Focal factory) and has since been adressed and quality controlled so this is no longer the case. I can attest to this partly because I own a pair which are perfect, and also because i've sold hundreds of them with no issues.

I haven't had any specific issues with any Focal speakers, other than the odd fault that may occur with any brand, such as damage in transit etc.
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #68
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
What about the quality control problems with the Alpah's, have they been solved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflux ➑️
You're quite right - this was an issue that Focal had with a large initial batch of the headphones (they aren't made at the Focal factory) and has since been adressed and quality controlled so this is no longer the case. I can attest to this partly because I own a pair which are perfect, and also because i've sold hundreds of them with no issues.

I haven't had any specific issues with any Focal speakers, other than the odd fault that may occur with any brand, such as damage in transit etc.
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #69
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foomki100 ➑️
What about the quality control problems with the Alpah's, have they been solved?
I've sold hundreds of Alphas and never had any come back with faults, so I haven't experienced any issues with them!
Old 15th October 2015
  #70
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
OK thanks!
Can you please elaborate on the differences in sound between KH120 and Focal alpha?
Are you basically saying that the Alpha's are better than the KH120, and cost about half? that makes them an amazing bargain.
What i don't understand is ,that most people say the the KH120's are better than the CMS65 , and that the CMS 65 are better than Alpha 65, so it makes sense that the KH120's are better than the Alpha.
I'm not trying to say you are wrong or anything, just trying to understand this whole situation.
Thanks.
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #71
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Better for who?
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #72
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Better to alot of people, from what i have read on Gearslutz...(If i understood your question...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Better for who?
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #73
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I was just pointing out the fact that different people will prefer either the Focals or the Neumanns. Regardless of price.
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #74
Lives for gear
 
Jamie Mac's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
I was just pointing out the fact that different people will prefer either the Focals or the Neumanns. Regardless of price.
Exactly. Everybody's hearing is different and monitor choice is an extremely personal thing. If you want to poll what people here like, you might get a consensus but be disappointed when you get them.

If you haven't tried them yourself in your room, you're shooting in the dark. It could even be that neither are to your liking.


I used to work at a post facility with three rooms. All three rooms had different sizes and measurements. All three rooms had KH310's in them. They sounded different in each room.
Old 15th October 2015 | Show parent
  #75
Gear Head
 
jTactics's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflux ➑️
You're quite right - this was an issue that Focal had with a large initial batch of the headphones (they aren't made at the Focal factory) and has since been adressed and quality controlled so this is no longer the case. I can attest to this partly because I own a pair which are perfect, and also because i've sold hundreds of them with no issues.

I haven't had any specific issues with any Focal speakers, other than the odd fault that may occur with any brand, such as damage in transit etc.
good to know, that makes me feel better.
Old 15th October 2015
  #76
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
So... The whole "high end monitors" and "low end monitors" thing is BS?
Old 16th October 2015
  #77
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
The kh are "probably" a good "small woofer" nearfield speaker. Do you need an accurate "small" woofer nearfield? If I bought them I would probably be disappointed because the bass is "probably" watered down at higher levels & I don't know about you, but every once in awhile I like to smack myself in the face by turning the volume up. If you don't "ever", "never ever ever" turn things up pretty loud, then why not?
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #78
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foomki100 ➑️
So... The whole "high end monitors" and "low end monitors" thing is BS?
There are atc's that are like $10,000 a piece. I think you are confusing high end in basically the same price range. An msp7 is around $400 each and they are a decent speaker. So, if you are talking 1-1.5 thousand for a pair of monitors there are going to be some that are better for you than others in that bracket. I don't think it makes sense to say that one is high end and the other is not high end in the same price bracket.
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #79
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'm some kind of weirdo I guess, preferring the newer Alpha series over the CMS. I would go Alpha 65 and never look back, trust me when I say it is a great speaker and delivers the goods...and once you learn it like any other good speaker, it will be a powerful tool.

War
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #80
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
I'm some kind of weirdo I guess, preferring the newer Alpha series over the CMS. I would go Alpha 65 and never look back, trust me when I say it is a great speaker and delivers the goods...and once you learn it like any other good speaker, it will be a powerful tool.

War
Pros & cons of the Alpha 65 in your opinion?
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #81
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Linear midrange, quite full bass response but balanced (not trying to be a boom box), excellent detail yet smooth texture from the tweeter.

No cons, the Alpha sounds less like a speaker vs the CMS. The CMS I always felt like you could "hear" the cabinet more. Alpha does not have this attribute. The day we heard the Alpha series, I told our Focal rep it was going to eat the CMS business up.

Speakers are a preference, I prefer the Alpha series.

I also think they are a very safe bet and recommendation, buy them and make some music.
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #82
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T E C H N I C A ➑️
Oh I just skimmed through our private message. You got the second message mixed up.

What do you think about the Focal CMS 50 vs Neumann KH 120? Have you heard them against each other?
The focal CMS50 have more low end than the kh120, but i found the focals to be ever so slightly more coloured.

Both are great speakers, i only had the kh120s for a day but i owned the CMS50s for years and they are great too!
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #83
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper ➑️
The focal CMS50 have more low end than the kh120, but i found the focals to be ever so slightly more coloured.

Both are great speakers, i only had the kh120s for a day but i owned the CMS50s for years and they are great too!
I know you owned the CMS 50 but what would you personally suggest for someone who can afford either the Alpha 65 or Neumann KH 120?

Also why did you only have the KH 120 for a day?
Old 16th October 2015 | Show parent
  #84
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Thanks!
Can you please compare the alpha 65 sound to kh120a sound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
Linear midrange, quite full bass response but balanced (not trying to be a boom box), excellent detail yet smooth texture from the tweeter.

No cons, the Alpha sounds less like a speaker vs the CMS. The CMS I always felt like you could "hear" the cabinet more. Alpha does not have this attribute. The day we heard the Alpha series, I told our Focal rep it was going to eat the CMS business up.

Speakers are a preference, I prefer the Alpha series.

I also think they are a very safe bet and recommendation, buy them and make some music.
Old 17th October 2015 | Show parent
  #85
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T E C H N I C A ➑️
I know you owned the CMS 50 but what would you personally suggest for someone who can afford either the Alpha 65 or Neumann KH 120?

Also why did you only have the KH 120 for a day?
I was just referring to the post asking about the kh120 and the cms50

Quote:
Originally Posted by T E C H N I C A ➑️
What do you think about the Focal CMS 50 vs Neumann KH 120? Have you heard them against each other?

I have never heard the Alpha range.

The Neumanns were a mates that i mixed on for a day, in my room.
Old 17th October 2015
  #86
Lives for gear
 
BrianVengeance's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I've never learned much about a painting by listening to descriptions of it. I doubt you'll learn much by reading about how something sounds, and every room sounds different than the Internet anyways.

To use a different metaphor, you're basically asking if you could performe competent laps at a track with a a Focus RS or a BMW M2. The answer to both is probably yes, but your experience will depend on how you prefer to drive, your ability to do so and the X factor of weather too.

Risk some cash with a dealer that has a solid return policy, try a pair of monitors in your own space and move on if they don't work. At a certain point you have to make that leap and just get on with it. Not trying to be critical, but let's hear about your experience with a set of monitors. :D
Old 17th October 2015
  #87
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
I don't mind if this thread keeps going, I actually encourage you guys to but I'm just going to purchase a Neumann KH 120 in literally a week once I receive my paycheck. I can't lie I almost got very tempted to purchase the Focal Alpha 65 but I'm going to go with my gut feeling and purchase the Neumann. I'll also be purchasing the JBL LSR308 as well for listening purposes due to their bass :P

I'd like to purchase the Focal CMS 65 but with all of these post with people preferring the alpha's over it I will pass. There's plenty of reviews about the KH 120's translating better than the CMS 65 so I'm not even going to bother. I'm MAINLY worried about translation when it all comes down to it.
Old 17th October 2015 | Show parent
  #88
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T E C H N I C A ➑️
I don't mind if this thread keeps going, I actually encourage you guys to but I'm just going to purchase a Neumann KH 120 in literally a week once I receive my paycheck. I can't lie I almost got very tempted to purchase the Focal Alpha 65 but I'm going to go with my gut feeling and purchase the Neumann. I'll also be purchasing the JBL LSR308 as well for listening purposes due to their bass :P

I'd like to purchase the Focal CMS 65 but with all of these post with people preferring the alpha's over it I will pass. There's plenty of reviews about the KH 120's translating better than the CMS 65 so I'm not even going to bother. I'm MAINLY worried about translation when it all comes down to it.
You will be very happy with the Neumanns.
Old 17th October 2015 | Show parent
  #89
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T E C H N I C A ➑️
I don't mind if this thread keeps going, I actually encourage you guys to but I'm just going to purchase a Neumann KH 120 in literally a week once I receive my paycheck. I can't lie I almost got very tempted to purchase the Focal Alpha 65 but I'm going to go with my gut feeling and purchase the Neumann. I'll also be purchasing the JBL LSR308 as well for listening purposes due to their bass :P

I'd like to purchase the Focal CMS 65 but with all of these post with people preferring the alpha's over it I will pass. There's plenty of reviews about the KH 120's translating better than the CMS 65 so I'm not even going to bother. I'm MAINLY worried about translation when it all comes down to it.
Try aps klasik monitor
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 108 views: 53553
Avatar for ISedlacek
ISedlacek 18th March 2013
replies: 327 views: 153054
Avatar for Hiss
Hiss 23rd February 2022
replies: 71 views: 18511
Avatar for TrebleHooker
TrebleHooker 11th April 2022
replies: 70 views: 46221
Avatar for thomassmith
thomassmith 2nd February 2017
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump